• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stories from the DEW Line.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well in trying to research the history of my Thiokol 4T10 Trackmaster I came across this short story. I have reason to believe there are a few more stories about TrackMasters on the DEW line. I will post as I find them.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
[SIZE=+2]Even Eskimos Get Cold: [/SIZE]
By Murray Rosen

It was a dark and stormy night at Pow Main during the winter of 1985. We found an Eskimo gentleman trying to get into the train. I went out to talk with him. He was an older man, obviousely intoxicated and spoke little english. It took several minutes to understand his friend was missing on a snow machine. He was quite disturbed. I called out the Emergency Action Team.
Bill, the Vehicle Mechanic, and I, jumped into the trackmaster and headed out over the snow covered tundra. We dispatched a vehicle with several men, down the road towards the airstrip. We would try to meet up later. I also alerted the clinic in Barrow.
After about a half hour, through the blowing snow, our lights picked up a snow machine on its side with an Eskimo sound asleep next to it.
We could not arouse him, and although he was alive, he was cold, stiff, and hard as a board. I remember touching his thigh and thinking how hard it was. The two of us struggled mightely to haul the 200 pound man aboard. We sent a message to the Barrow clinic to have a vehicle meet us at the airstrip. He was still unconcious when we transferred him to their ambulance.
A few days later, the clinic reported he was fully recovered and had been sent home. Our training had paid off. The mission was letter perfect, or so I thought. The Contract Monitors thought it was only a "satisfactory" deployment of the team. I always wondered what it would take to get an "excellent" rating. I filed a formal protest but never heard from anybody.

bill w

while i don't have ant spcific evidence of your thiokol....i too am interested in the dew line......my intrest is with the trailers they towed....they were called ardco trailers and i own one ....know where one more is.....(not for sale)...they came in crew quarters....(bunks) which i own...shower houses...all propane powered...and VERY rare...and the beloved kitchens......they were equipt with wolf cooking ranges....and ALL stainless .....the other one i found was during the wildfire in 04 in alaska....it's a kitchen model and they got mad at me when i even inquired about it....they were made in houston tx for the oilfields.....i'll buy them anywhere...but as they are made of 18ft alum panels most were scrapped....bummer...they were distinct in that they had dc-6 tires....4 of them....and had an outboard spot on there rear...reward for finder.....will include photos soon...Bill w