• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trump wins on border security with emergency declaration and funding by Congress

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Trump wins on border security with emergency declaration and funding by Congress
By Charlie Kirk | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tru...emergency-declaration-and-funding-by-congress

Video link:https://video.foxnews.com/v/6002966950001/

President Trump won a strategic victory Friday when he signed legislation to avoid another government shutdown and provide a down payment on border security funding – and then declared a national emergency to get billions of dollars more needed to protect our southern border.

After insisting for well over a month that the president would never get any funding for a border wall, congressional Democrats meekly backed down in the face of President Trump’s unwavering commitment to border security, giving the White House nearly $1.4 billion for 55 miles of new fencing along the border.

“The fact is a wall is an immorality,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said during the partial government shutdown, joking that she would only give the president $1 out of the $5.7 billion he requested. The president’s request was based on advice from law enforcement experts.

“There’s not going to be any wall money in the legislation,” Pelosi later reiterated.

While the government funding bill passed by Congress and signed by the president Friday isn’t a perfect solution to the ongoing border crisis, it’s certainly an important start.

By getting the Democrats to abandon their obstructionist position, President Trump shifted the momentum of the debate in his favor, setting the stage for him to take executive action to finish the job.

Some conservatives argue that the president should have rejected the government funding bill passed by Congress because it did not include the full $5.7 billion needed for a border wall. But this criticism misses the bigger picture.

Now that Congress has agreed to border barriers in principle, President Trump has a much stronger hand to play when it comes time to secure the remaining funds.

Make no mistake: President Trump isn’t finished fighting for real border security, and he won’t be until our communities are finally protected from the drugs and crime flowing across our southern border.

Even if Congress refuses to provide another dime in wall funding, the nearly $1.4 billion down payment it agreed to represents a big chunk of the president’s request. And the executive actions the president announced add more than $8.1 billion in funding for a border wall and other border security measures.

Trump is the first president in a generation who is willing to take political risks to secure our border. His declaration of a national emergency proves that he won’t settle for anything less than a fully funded wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.

As for the government funding bill, it’s over a billion times better than the best offer Speaker Pelosi ever put on the table. That alone is enough to make it a victory worth savoring.

Charlie Kirk is the founder and executive director of Turning Point USA, an advocacy group for young conservatives.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think this is an important point.

Now that Congress has agreed to border barriers in principle, President Trump has a much stronger hand to play when it comes time to secure the remaining funds.

Congress has approved the wall. Now all we have to do is biuld it!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly I believe we need a wall. But I am not a fan of using an Emergency Declaration to achieve the goal.

That said, let's build the damn thing and toss Pelosi over the wall.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ann Coulter after Trump's order: ‘The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot’
Christal Hayes, USA TODAY Published 1:45 p.m. ET Feb. 16, 2019 | Updated 5:19 p.m. ET Feb. 16, 2019

President Trump declared a national emergency to free up funding for his border wall between the U.S and Mexico. But declaring a national emergency isn’t new -- in fact, the use of emergency powers is older than the country itself. USA TODAY, Just the FAQs

The conservative commentator had for weeks been bashing Trump for what she said was him caving to Democrats over his demands for additional funding to construct a wall along the southern border, even calling him the "biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States".

On Friday, the bickering made its way into a nationally televised news conference where Trump announced his plans to use executive powers to declare a national emergency to free up billions in funds for the proposed wall.

"Ann Coulter. I don't know her. I hardly know her. I haven't spoken to her in way over a year but the press loves saying Ann Coulter, probably if I did speak to her, she would be very nice," Trump said, adding that she is "off the reservation."

Coulter fired back on Twitter, saying "He seems to think ‘the reservation’ is HIM, not his campaign promises" then in another post adding she wanted Trump's words "memorialized."

She said she did not want to leave the impression that she in any way influenced the White House. "Nor did I have any influence on the captain of the Titanic, the operators of the Hindenburg or the 9/11/2001 Terrorism Prevention Team," she wrote.

She then took it a leap further while appearing on KABC's Morning Drive radio show.

"The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot," Coulter said during the show. She added that she was grateful Trump distanced himself from her.

"Thank god he’s relieved me any responsibility for what he’s been doing," she said, adding "That was the biggest favor anyone could do for me."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ld-trump-national-emergency-order/2890714002/

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, Annie should be heaping all her scorn on the repubs in the house and senate while they still had both houses. They are, IMO, the idiots and wimps!!
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ann C went on to say Trump can use this 'emergency' claim as him trying to fullfill the promise of the wall and when it does not work it's not his fault.

My opinion: What she says is possible but so far I ave never seen any move Trump made as a move made to help him in 2020. I sure hope that is not what he is pulling here.