• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My ship: USS Butte AE-27

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A shipmate that served on the Butte after my tour of duty there shared this pic of the ship. I served as a Radioman aka sparky. Brought back a lot of great memories. :D

Ports of call while I was onboard. Probably a few more but these are the ones I remember.
Hawaii, Hong Kong, Singapore, Seal Beach CA., Subic Bay, Toulon FR, Barcelona Spain, Naples Italy, Nassau Bahamas, St. Thomas and Palma ...who can forget Palma? Woooo Hooo, Also went through the Panama Canal. I had a friend stationed there from 'A' school so I got to fly over on the helo and got a little tour of the area.. Very kewl experience.

The USS Butte AE-27 Nickname 'The Lonely Bull'. We sailed alone due to the Ammo. We normally had to anchor out when in port, due to the ammo. But, we would be the only ship in port at the time. A huge advantage. :thumb:

Attachments

• USSButteAE27.jpg
    USSButteAE27.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 217

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I was a Fire-Control Technician on the U.S.S. Kawishiwi AO-146 from 1966-1969. We probably unrepped (underway replenishment) you on Yankee and Dixie Stations (North and South Vietnam). Lots of time is Subic, four times in Hong Kong, twice in Japan and home ported in Pearl.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We were home ported in Norfolk VA but made it to nam ...near the end of the action. 72-73

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
My ship, the U.S.S. Kawishiwi AO-146, is having a reunion locally in Omaha this September, so I'll see some of my shipmates.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanx for your service you two. It was a pleasure serving at approx. the same time with you two.

For the record, my last ship, the USS Independence, CVA-62 is currently under the cutting torch in Brownsville, TX.

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 7.39.37 PM.png

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc, were you on board the Butte during the crisis in Jordan in 1970? We were there then and we received the Meritorious Unit Commendation, as did the Butte.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for your service TR.
I remember the USS Independence, docked down from us at Norfolk Naval Base. Independence and JFK and one other one I can't remember. We never stayed in port long ....as I doubt you did either. I know they all server their time but I hate to see them cut up or sank to serve as a reef as they did with the USS Butte.

I dug up a pic of your ship Lenny. What do AO stand for? My AE was Ammo Ship. Were you home ported on west coast or Japan?

Attachments

• USS Kawishiwi AO-146.jpg
    USS Kawishiwi AO-146.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 167

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We were always at Pier 12 when in Norfolk. Never stayed long as you say but we did have a couple of extended stays at Portsmouth in the yards. Once we hit a whale that punched a good size hole in the ship on the port side amidships which required a dry dock to repair. No joke. Flooded a number of voids. Pretty thin metal I guess. That cancelled a GITMO cruise. :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is surprising that it could punch a hole. :eek: The Independence was commissioned around 60, back in the day of heavy metal autos. You'd think the ship would be similar ...made of heavy stuff.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
We were always at Pier 12 when in Norfolk. Never stayed long as you say but we did have a couple of extended stays at Portsmouth in the yards. Once we hit a whale that punched a good size hole in the ship on the port side amidships which required a dry dock to repair. No joke. Flooded a number of voids. Pretty thin metal I guess. That cancelled a GITMO cruise. :yum:
I'll bet the whole crew was really broken up about missing RefTra at Gitmo! :yum::yum::yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Dad's last ship was the Nimitz.
Or as he and my brother and ex called it, the Numbnutz.
It was fun growing up a little pirate with all my relations in thee umm, canoe club.
:yum:
:respect::thumbup:

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I dug up a pic of your ship Lenny. What do AO stand for? My AE was Ammo Ship. Were you home ported on west coast or Japan?

AO is oiler. We refueled other ships. We were home ported in Pearl....six months there and six months in the Orient....mostly Subic Bay in the Philippines picking up oil, JP5 (jet fuel) and av-gas (for prop planes and helicopters). Then un-reped (underway replenishment) off Yankee and Dixie Stations (North and South Vietnam)

Four times in Hong Kong and twice in Japan for a total of three years between 1966 and 1969. I was a FT, meaning Fire-Control Technician, meaning controlling the firing of the guns via radar. My radar would lock on the targets and electronically tell the canons where to shoot.

We were in Da Nang Harbor while I was on board too.