• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

any body plan on canning this summer?

working woman

Site Supporter
Do any of you guys can? and if so what? or does anybody make jam/ jelly?
Last year I just canned lots and lots of green beans.

Had not planned on making any jam this year but my uncle was nice enough to give me and my parents two nice size bags of sour cherries. Mom made pies out of hers, I wound up making two batches of jam out of mine and a loaf of cherry bread. What a sticky mess!

Anybody else?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to can a lot Judy, but now I prefer freezing.
For me it's a simpler method and less time consuming.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I screwed up on my garden and won't be able to get in what I had planned. :(

The freezers are full with meat so I won't bother them.

I bought several hundred mason jars and for this year will rely on others to do the growing and I'll do the canning.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We froze Green Beans and Corn last year. We have plenty of both yet this year. We will do Corn, Beans and Peas this coming year and will have twice as much as last year.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We froze Green Beans and Corn last year. We have plenty of both yet this year. We will do Corn, Beans and Peas this coming year and will have twice as much as last year.
Canning or freezing? I ask because we freeze ourselves but I want to do more canning.

Kwiens

Hopefully we'll have Sandhill plums this year and we'll make and can Sandhill plum jelly. Our last crop on our acreage was in 1998. Seems we got frozen out every year since then.

We also will can strawberry jam made from strawberries grown in our own patch and picked by me! Makes it taste even better when you invest the sweat equity........

K

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Canning or freezing? I ask because we freeze ourselves but I want to do more canning.

Aww sorry didn't mean to take off subject.

We freeze only for the most part. I forgot about the pickles my wife cans but otherwise canning to me is a lot of work.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
You didn't take it off topic Murph with mentioning freezing, I think I did.
Sorry Judy.

k-dog

The wife canned beans and tomato juice last year and I think she is doing the same this year. Last year she tried canning corn but it didn't do real well so I'm not sure if she'll try that again or not.
My mom used to make pickles from the cucumbers and chow chow pickle relish from the green tomatoes and other stuff. Once in a great while she would do rasberry jam and that was some good stuff.

working woman

Site Supporter
Hopefully we'll have Sandhill plums this year and we'll make and can Sandhill plum jelly. Our last crop on our acreage was in 1998. Seems we got frozen out every year since then.

We also will can strawberry jam made from strawberries grown in our own patch and picked by me! Makes it taste even better when you invest the sweat equity........

K

Never heard of sandhill plums. Heard of sandhill peaches. Those are yummy!!

working woman

Site Supporter
I screwed up on my garden and won't be able to get in what I had planned. :(

The freezers are full with meat so I won't bother them.

I bought several hundred mason jars and for this year will rely on others to do the growing and I'll do the canning.

Thats whats great about my uncle, He does all the growing and I get all his excess!

The only thing I have to buy are peaches and blueberries