• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Indiana lawmaker drafts proposal to license journalists like gun owners

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Indiana lawmaker drafts proposal to license journalists like gun owners
Christen Smith
10/16/17

http://www.guns.com/2017/10/16/indi...posal-to-license-journalists-like-gun-owners/

A state lawmaker in Indiana drafted a proposal last week to license journalists the same way the state regulates carrying concealed handguns.

Rep. Jim Lucas — a Republican from Seymour known for his attempts to repeal Indiana’s concealed carry law — said the bill, although not yet introduced, doesn’t cross a line because it trades regulating one constitutional right for another.

“If you’re OK licensing my Second Amendment right, what’s wrong with licensing your First Amendment right?” he said during an interview with the Indianapolis Star last week. “If I was as irresponsible with my handgun as the media has been with their keyboard, I’d probably be in jail.”

The proposal, a near exact copy of Indiana’s concealed handgun law, requires journalists to submit an application and fingerprints to state police, as well as pay a $75 fee for a lifetime license, according to the newspaper. Those with felony convictions, including domestic battery, would be barred from applying.

Lucas, described by the newspaper as “a dogged libertarian who opposes many forms of government licensing and intervention,” remains ambivalent about if he will actually introduce the bill, though free speech advocates say it wouldn’t survive a legal challenge.

“It’s an absolute nonstarter,” said Burt Neuborne, a New York University law professor and a civil liberties expert, during an interview with the Washington Post. “The whole reason for the free press clause was to abolish licensing rules for the press.”

“Maybe we should license state legislators,” he added.

Lucas said, however, he doesn’t want the proposal to become law. He just wants to make his point about gun regulations.

“Everybody should be appalled,” he told a local abc affiliate. “I’m highlighting the licensing of a constitutional right. Society has become accustomed to that exact very thing. But if we allow the licensing of one constitutional right – even one – that means the floodgates are open for something like this to happen.”

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't like it.
Everything is in cycles.
There again will be a day when liberals will control congress and the Executive.
All conservatives will lose their license at that point.
Guaranteed.

edit - and thinking about this a bit more - why can't these jackasses in Congress do something salient to helping this country become great again instead of stoopid shit like this? Lazy mf'ers refuse to move OUR agenda forward.
We'll have a democratic house or senate come next election. Assholes.
rant over.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't like it.
Everything is in cycles.
There again will be a day when liberals will control congress and the Executive.
All conservatives will lose their license at that point.
Guaranteed.

There is no chance this ever makes it to the floor, probably won't even be heard in committee.

The lawmaker, from my home state, did it to prove a point. Many of the journalists seemed to have missed the irony and instead became outraged. I've been watching this for a few days but didn't post it. He floated the idea, local media covered it. With lots of journalistic hand wringing. But they seemed to have missed the point. A point which I think most gun owners understood.

It moved to the national media and again lots more journalistic hand wringing. Headlines about the supposed "fact" that this was introduced because the politician didn't like the way he was portrayed in the media, blah blah blah.

Limit journalists to quill pens, ink bottles & manual printing presses unless they get a journalistic license . . . but even when you spell it out like that they still miss the comparison to flintlock/cap & ball guns compared to modern weapons.

Oh the irony. Most still don't understand. Proof that many journalists are often idiots or complicit and have an agenda.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But, but......gun owners are not licensed. Not here anyways.

Not here either, but many in the media are calling for various gun owner licensing schemes, lots of restrictions, some even calling for licenses to buy ammo.