• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

sw48 rear spindle bent

Curley

Can anyone tell me if this rear spindle off a 1982 sw48 is suppose to be straight with the block it is in and is it threaded into the block?

Attachments

• 100_2655.jpg
    100_2655.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 399
  • 100_2654.jpg
    100_2654.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 100_2653.jpg
    100_2653.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 394

IMP

Site Supporter
That's a little different spindle configuration than what my J5 has but i bet the engineering is the same. The spindles are pressed in. To look at it you would think they would never come out... but they do. I think it was an 80 ton press when I changed two spindles a few years ago. No problem, use a little heat and they pop right out.

snowcatt

As far as I understand bombardier axles are bent down ward from the factory
That's why lots of them are marked R. And L
My Bombi and my R18 are like that
Good luck have fun

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, different from the set up on my J5 also. Since there is a housing on the walking beam rather than a 4 bolt set up, you don't have a lot of control over the squareness other than trying to use shims to try to square the wheel/axle housing to the beam.

After weeks of trying to square up the front axle, I bought a new one and paid to have it welded in.

Curley

I thought that they maybe bent down so I took off the other side and it is straight and I can see where it bend starts just about a inch from block. Thanks

J5 Bombardier

Seen a lot of small axle J5's with bent axles, can't recall seeing a large one bent. Walking beam bearings usually get loose , but snow clearing can bend a lot of stuff. I have used re cycled Muskeg axles, cut and pressed in, it's pretty soft stuff. Made four up from scratch to convert a trailer to tracks before winter, just haven't finished it yet .
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well new assemblies are 380.00 from Prinoth but we have some used for less
But they have the oval tang for the adjuster not the round but it could be changed

Curley

It's already at the machine shop and putting new 3" x 3" piece of tubing on the tandem beam because of wear.

IMP

Site Supporter
Oh ok, it would be nice to see a photo of the fix if possible when you get it back. Also keep in mind that Brad at Minnesota Outdoors sports sold me J5 spindles a few years ago for $50ea. Good Luck

Curley

Someone from Minnesota Outdoors said he would look the next day for a used one in the shop but I guess he never had any.

Curley

Well that's an interesting picture. Is the gap between the 2 pieces of u shape bar for welding the spindle in or for pressing it in or out?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
On That particular unit the axle is pressed and welded on the backside it would fit right on yours but the adjuster tang is different

Curley

Is spindle 4 7/16" long then about 1 1/16" for the nut and 1 1/2" dia. and fits on a 3" x 3" tubing, if so what's your price.

Curley

Attachments

• 100_2659.jpg
    100_2659.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 296
  • 100_2660.jpg
    100_2660.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_2661.jpg
    100_2661.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_2664.jpg
    100_2664.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_2665.jpg
    100_2665.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 179

jflarin

That's a little different spindle configuration than what my J5 has but i bet the engineering is the same. The spindles are pressed in.

Hi,
That might sound like a dumb question, but in what direction is it pressed in? I have a J5 and I have to replace the spindle. From logic, I guess it could be pushed from the inside to the outside of the machine and then it can't fall off when the assembly is bolted on the square tubing.

But from the size of the hole on the inside of assembly, it looks like it is pressed-in from the outside of the machine.

Here are some pictures:
47771578361_9a59ea0c62_z.jpg
[/url]j5_spindle_back by jflarin, sur Flickr[/IMG]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25aQoVX] j5_spindle_front by jflarin, sur Flickr[/URL]

Thanks,
jf

Curley

It's been some time since I did this but I believe it is pressed in from front. I'll have a look at the spare I bought in my garage tomorrow and if it is not pressed from front I'll let you know. I bought 2 old ones that were straight so I didn't have to heat it up and press it out.