• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best Onion Rings Recipe Ever!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Do you love Onion Rings like I do? If so, try this recipe, you will not be disappointed. I have it from a reliable source this is or was at one time the recipe for A&W Onion rings. I have made these many times, and can attest to them being the best onion rings you will ever have. Enjoy.

One large sweet onion. Vidalia, if in season.
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup bread crumbs
1 quart oil for frying

Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C) I use a large cast iron skillet and a candy thermometer to get the right oil temp. Large electric skillet works great too.

Separate the onion slices into rings, and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated; set aside. Whisk the egg and milk into the flour mixture using a fork. Dip the floured rings into the batter to coat, then place on a wire rack to drain until the batter stops dripping. The wire rack may be placed over a sheet of aluminum foil for easier clean up. Spread the bread crumbs out on a plate or shallow dish. Place rings one at a time into the crumbs, and scoop the crumbs up over the ring to coat. Give it a hard tap as you remove it from the crumbs. The coating should cling very well. Repeat with remaining rings.

Deep fry the rings a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Rings may be kept warm and crunchy using a wire rack in a 200F oven until all are cooked and ready to serve. Salt to taste. Bon Apetite'

I think the big secrets in this recipe is using milk instead of water, along with the egg, and the Baking Powder which really makes them poofey and large. Awesome.

Last edited:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep sounds good. But we got rid of our deep fryer due to lack of use :neutral: