• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ST4 Variator removal from trans

Beartooth

Ok guys, I have removed everything from the ST4. I have lost 3rd and 4th. Now that it is out, I could check to see whats going on. I took the nose cone off and 3rd and 4th is frozen. The upper shaft bearing is gone and metal all over.
So, I need to package this baby and send to Ron per Don. How do I remove the variator towers? I am hoping this would be easy. Does the vertical tower have to come off first. Then the Horizontal one? Any help would be appreciated.

Doug 406-861-9040

willd

Having not done the job yet, I'm looking forward to seeing the answers from the guru's.

As far as I can tell, the towers unbolt from the transmission case just like a regular VW but without the hassle of the snap ring that holds the normal swing axle stuff on.

I could be completely wrong but I don't see how a snap ring could exist down in there with all the other stuff that is going on.

Beartooth

I thought the same thing. I believe I have the Paddle axles. I have looked at all the post I could find and I am hoping I am missing something. I took the bolts off at the housing and that seems a no go for just pulling it out. There are two axle's in each side per the diagram. It looks at thought the top tower needs to come off and disconnect there. Then hopefully pull the housing leaving the paddle axle. Disconnect the snap ring and remove. I could be completely wrong and an idiot but I also don't want to break anything.

Doug

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you got a parts break down drawing?

I have not had to take mine out as of yet... Don in Nome is the fella who has done this, some what recently. I believe though if you have an e+ploded parts diagram, it will help you out a lot.

Good thing is they don't require this sort of thing normally. They seem to be mechanically reliable, as long as you grease and maintain them.

Get yourself a new belt while you have to torn down. You might be surprised at how narrow your old one is...

Lots of good posts here regarding the variator. Do a search and keep the questions coming.

This will help you out. http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=4113

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

willd

Judging from that diagram you posted a link to, I'm guessing the top of the tower has to come off, then you pull the nut off the end and pull the sprocket and such off the end. Once that is done, you might be able to pull the horizontal tube off, leaving the paddle shaft in the transmission. Once you get that out of the way, you might have to pull that big snap ring off to get the paddles out.

If you've never done it, that snap ring is a PITA. It takes the biggest snap ring pliers you can get, with the biggest posts that I've been able to find and you better not be trying to use the cheapo Harbor Freight snap ring pliers or you will find that they twist all over the place just at the moment you almost have it out.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes the top towers have to come off first, along with the framing that keeps the towers from pulling in, toward one another.. Then of course the horizontal shaft is ne+t...

I think your on the right track, if you just look at the parts diagram..

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a post some where about changing the transmission but as I remember I disconnected the steel cross shafts from one side than un bolted the axle tubes and slid the whole thing off as one unit I pulled the towers off later to remove the axle shafts and replace the outer seals good luck

Just did it a few days ago. Paddle axles, remove variator sheaves, actuator mechanism, towers. Then the sprocket nuts and sprockets. Now you can get away with leaving the horizontal axle housings bolted to the tranny side covers, but best to remove them separately. At this point, remove big snap rings and the axles will come out.

I know this is an old post.. Just info for future reference.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
getting it apart easy! I got plenty of friend that help with that!
esp one but I not mention any name :hammer:
going back together well that another story......

I got all the bearing for my varaotor for a a 1600 vw engine at Alaska Bearing in Anchorage for not much money have the part #too some place
had the trans gone threw in Anchorage for 500 bucks replace the tow big bearings and Alaska bearing had them too.

there's shims under the towers I keep track of them to the I believe the s10 they set the and shims /gaskets to the side tubes to the trans they are cheep paper gaskets My neighbor got a pile of em
I got pictures but where I am now my internet just works I be back in the land of real internet in a week or so I hope.,,,if this job doesn't kill me
the set up you have is for a 1200 vw think its a little different than the trans for a 1600 vw But I got an older Varaiator out of a 1200 on my yard

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
here some part # for the bearing on the towers been meaning to post them

Attachments

• DSCN7386.JPG
    DSCN7386.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN7387.JPG
    DSCN7387.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN7388.JPG
    DSCN7388.JPG