• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow-Trac starter melt down.

villi

I need some information !! The starter motor in my Snow-Trac burnd this is a combi 12Volt outer winding, 6 Volt inner core and 12 Volt solenoid what can I do?

Attachments

• málsett1 (600 x 450).jpg
    málsett1 (600 x 450).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 608
  • startkrans.jpg
    startkrans.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 614

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mid America motorworks can help you out..

mamotorworks.com

They have everything Volkswagen. Shipping would be expencive how ever. Any place in GB that handles VW parts maybe easier.

Since I have never sourced parts shipped to Iceland, I have no idea what maybe involved. Is there a VW dealer in Iceland?

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
if you have the 1600 and stock flywheel 12 volt this will work.
IMI-101_GEAR_REDUCTION_HI-TORQUE_STARTER_FOR_BEETLES.jpg

I got one for my new engine and haven't installed it yet. It fits in good and bolts in but I never wired it up or heard it crank.
DSC00246.jpg

someone on ebay had some 12v starters like yours.

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
HI
Villi.

I just installed the auto stick starter into my snow trac. the pilot bushing is no longer an issue.
Auto stick is the automatic transmissioned air cooled bug.

the cost is $48 US

I will be happy to assist you any way necessary if you are in a bind.
Mike

villi

HI
Villi.

I just installed the auto stick starter into my snow trac. the pilot bushing is no longer an issue.
Auto stick is the automatic transmissioned air cooled bug.

the cost is $48 US

I will be happy to assist you any way necessary if you are in a bind.
Mike

What type is the bendix gear?Do you have 6 volt gear and 6 volt fly like I have? What is the part number for your starter?

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

the bendix looks just like jims photo. If you type auto stick into google images: You will see the starter, I pasted a photo from german supply it may fall off.

the starter is a bit longer and it was a bear to put in there with out swearing. but it does fit and it does work very well.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a larger flywheel.
1600 cc motor 6v bellhousing clearenced by turning the motor as I tightened the bellhousing then separating the two and removing the material that was marked.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Villi you have a hybrid starter which tells me you have a 180 mm fly wheel. a six volt starter will work fine for quite a while it is what I'm using. you just don't want to work it too hard. say long cranking times or cranking in extreme cold. they also make gear reduction starters with 12 volt motors and 6 volt pinions

villi

Thanks Don. I think I have 180 mm flywheel with 109 t. I can change the flywheel to 130t. and put smaller bushing and use standard starter motor for VW.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Don. I think I have 180 mm flywheel with 109 t. I can change the flywheel to 130t. and put smaller bushing and use standard starter motor for VW.
no you cannot unless you have a 1600 cc engine in which case you should do that the 20 mm fly wheel won't fit on a 1600 cc engine it kind of works the other way but not long as the flywheel is hanging on the dowel pins and not the crank shaft where it is supposed to pilot off of

NorCal

If you had to grind out your 6v bell housing then you have the 200m 12 v flywheel already, you just need to get a new 12v starter, either the sr15x, or the auto starter ....and you should be fine, If you put in the sr15 regular starter in then you will need the adapter bushing to go from 6 to 12v, that's what happened to your starter I bet!! The auto starter uses no bushing...
Have fun..

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I just run 6 volt starters with 6 volt solenoid it has worked well for several years now. with no problems. I do have a spare and will likely need it some day.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
some years back there was this article: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=4113
It has some info about the starter. Elsewhere is an explanation of how Westermaskiner used 6 volt starters, modified with 12 volt solenoids. This seemed to work "OK",... the starter lasted and didn't burn out with the higher voltage. If you have a 6 volt engine it has a 6 volt flywheel and you are forced to go with that. Changing the flywheel is not a good option having to do with the flywheel dowel pins and the critical end spacing (Crankshaft-end-play).
Then there is the issue of the correct bushing in the transaxle bell housing. If you have a 12 Volt flywheel, the one with the smaller teeth and more of them, then the fix that Jim Vantrogen outlined with the gear reduction starter is the way to go.
In the article about Variators the section on starters starts around post #11.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have also seen reduction starters sold by kennedy engeneering with 6 volt drives and 12 volt motors.

villi

Well I used 6 volt starter, modified with 12 volt solenoid. I got the only used 6 volt starter in Iceland. I like the idea of reduction starters sold by kennedy engeneering with 6 volt drives and 12 volt motors I want more info please.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I used 6 volt starter, modified with 12 volt solenoid. I got the only used 6 volt starter in Iceland. I like the idea of reduction starters sold by kennedy engeneering with 6 volt drives and 12 volt motors I want more info please.

check our ebay and use hi tourqe vw starter.
the hi tourqe starter I have is for a 1600 engine.
jim

villi

Hello there !!! I am happy now I imported a new starter motor for my Snow-Trac from USA. I was out of 6 volt starters. The price was 390 $ on my desk in Iceland.

Attachments

• 2016-04-16 15.11.36.jpg
    2016-04-16 15.11.36.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 2016-04-16 15.32.20.jpg
    2016-04-16 15.32.20.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 2016-04-16 15.11.44.jpg
    2016-04-16 15.11.44.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 229

Sno-Surfer

That is what I have now too. So far so good.
You can order these with the 6 volt gear or the 12 volt gear on it and they have the adjustable mount on them.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have used that brand for several years now on a couple of different applications and they have worked well