• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bought a stove from Craigslist

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Our 25 year old Jenn-Air stove is getting tired, and the wife has been mumbling about wanting another Jenn-Air. I started to look at them at the local stores, and they range from about $1700 to $2500 for what she wants. Being that if it doesn't have an engine or wheels, I can't see spending that much on a stove! I was looking at Craigslist.com and saw an advertisement for a Jenn-Air for $600... Went to look at it yesterday, and it turned out to be a new stove that they removed when they moved into the new home and wanted a gas range. Made them an offer of $500 and picked it up this morning. Unfortunately, they did damage the top slightly when it was removed, but a replacement is only $70, plus some other minor install items that went missing. Did a parts search and found everything that I need to replace for a total of $125 (approx.) including shipping. Stove came with two radiant heating surface burners that cost $350 each new, plus all the bells and whistles of a high end stove. What ever happened to the old days when you turned a dial, and that was all that was to it? Now, they have computers and digital read outs. I think that I might have to go to computer school just to learn how to boil water! Now, if I can find a Sub Zero refrigerator/freezer that is as great a deal, then I won't hear any more complaints........... well for at least a week or two... :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a GREAT deal Junk. Way to go.
How about a picture?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Can't take a picture of the stove itself, until I can find some help to take it out of the back of my car. I am not supposed to lift anything that weighs more than 10 pounds. Here are the pictures of the door and top parts that I did bring into the house. Don't tell anyone, but the oven door does weigh more than 10 pounds.... :thumb:

I haven't decided what to do with the old stove. I am tossing around the idea of listing it on Craigslist, breaking it up for parts and selling them on eBay, or put it out for free on the Freecycle website.

Attachments

• MVC-399S.JPG
    MVC-399S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 672
  • MVC-400S.JPG
    MVC-400S.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 658

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Threadjacking ahead....

Does anyone know where to get a 48" stove? The cabinets in our house are spaced for a 48" stove, but someone in the past replaced the original stove with a standard 40" unit, and the 4" space on either side just collects crap. I'd love to replace the stove with a full width one, but I have no idea where to get one.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Threadjacking ahead....

Does anyone know where to get a 48" stove? The cabinets in our house are spaced for a 48" stove, but someone in the past replaced the original stove with a standard 40" unit, and the 4" space on either side just collects crap. I'd love to replace the stove with a full width one, but I have no idea where to get one.

I would suggest that some of the larger appliance store will carry them..... I know that Jenn-Air makes a 48" stove, and so do a lot of other companies. Problem is that stoves, like everything else have gone through the roof in prices. I did see a 48" "commercial" type of stove on Craigslist yesterday, and the people were looking for $3000, claiming that it cost $5000 new. It was nice, but I wouldn't ever spend that kind of money on a stove, unless I won the lottery.

JimR

Charter Member
Glad to see you finally grabbed a good deal from Craigslist. See, I'm not the only one finding things there.:wave: :wave: :wave:

AndyM

Charter Member
Threadjacking ahead....

You can buy TWO stainless steel 24 inch models for around $1000. :thumb: