• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

EBay vs Craiglist ?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Best place to sell stuff ? Do you know any others ? We are trying to get stuff ready to list , before the big move .

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just give it all to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can be there in a day or two!!!!!!!!!! Yetti included though!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Just give it all to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can be there in a day or two!!!!!!!!!! Yetti included though!

OK MiKE ! So far I got 14 socks of assorted colors . Can't seem to find the mates to them . You want a pair of White Shoes with matching belt ??

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't use ebay anymore because of the charges to post an ad. Craigs list can usually get the job done but you have to set your price rather than hope to make extra by someone bidding the item up.
If it is a unique item with special appeal that lends itself to shipping easily it might be worth the while to put it on ebay for the larger audience, otherwise I'd go craigslist or local bulletin board papers.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
ebay for stuff that is easy to ship.

Craigslist for stuff that is not easy to ship.

However, if you have something "rare" then putting it on ebay for a few weeks (to advertise it) at a high price and then gradually drop it until you get a taker.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Al I dont do Ebay mainly because I dont like paypal . But they do have Kijji which is ebay classified local ads that works about like craigslist http://www.ebayclassifieds.com/

I use craigslist only & I sell & buy a lot from it in the last few years , I have over 20 ads on there right now & most are for items in the hundreds to thousands of dollars ., I wont mess with 5 or 10 dollar items .

I will suggest not posting your phone # or address , Just post if interested contact through CL & leave a contact # . Be specific about what you are selling , take good pictures & post the peice you expect to get & put FIRM in the ad .

This time of year the scammers are the worst for some reason & you,ll get several a day wanting your phone # or for you to reply to a bogus request , They are collecting Email addys & phone #s so they can sell them to other scammers . So you have to be able to sort out the ones to reply to .

If you get an email saying I,m interested in or will buy your item without mentioning what the item is its more then likelly a scam . Also Do it by appointment & narrow them down timewise . I wont even give them my address untill they call me & tell me they are at a close intersection thats 2 miles from where we live . Then I,ll tell them how to get here because its not real easy to find .

If the vehicle looks suspicious or has a carload of people in it I,ll send them on their way before they come on the property I can see them coming from about a mile away . Yes I,m very cautious & not very trusting . Sadly some folks dont even have any intent to buy anything but will case your property for coming back at a different time & taking what they want . :hammer:

It happens all of the time by the ads I see posted after the fact . Just a heads up , after dealing with all kinds of people & I,ve never had one problem . Best of luck . :biggrin:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
.... after dealing with all kinds of people & I,ve never had one problem . Best of luck . :biggrin:

That is probably because of that 12 gauge you carry out with you when you meet em Cowboy! :yum: :poke: :yankchain: :D

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
That is probably because of that 12 gauge you carry out with you when you meet em Cowboy! :yum: :poke: :yankchain: :D

Would you believe that when I joined eBay it was only to buy firearms and accessories? No kidding. I apparently was one of the first 200 users. Most people then were selling Pez dispensers (remember them?) and firearm stuff.

At first we just used our email address for your user name. Then, when it grew a bit more and people didn't want some spam they started getting, we were told to just use our first name or something. No kidding. On eBay, I'm just "Brent".

I don't have all that many transactions because I quit using it for years after they banned firearms and then again after I had several bad dealings when it became a global scam market. At the time, you could leave someone feedback without even doing business with them. I'd get an email saying that I needed to send a $10 money order to Soandso or they'd leave me negative feedback. Talk about bullshit! They've had some growing pains over the years for certain.

Now it seems more of a place to sell than get a deal. However, as pointed out, eBay has raised their fees so much that it's not even worth the hassle unless it's a big ticket item and you are making a pretty good chunk on it. I've started cleaning out some old stuff on eBay but I've had to sell for more than what I feel it's worth to cover the charges. For example; I collected vintage arcade games for my guest house for years. Unfortunately, all those 1980 vintage electronics started to fail and it became hard to find anyone to repair them. I sold off all I owned and got as much for them not working as I paid for them 10 years ago.

My issue with Craigslist is that anything that seems like a bargain is usually already sold but the seller just hasn't removed the ad and never responds. That pisses me off because it wastes my time.

fubar

Don't know about other states, We have these two others that are better than craigslist

907bigboytoys.com (boy is singular, plural get you elsewhere)
Alaskaslist.com (Alaska is plural, singular gets you waaaaayyy somewhere else)

Perhaps different area code for bigboy toys

:confused:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You got that right. Ebay used to be free until it sold, now they charge you out the ying yang every step of the way.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If you have enough stuff for an estate sale you may consider having an auction to liquidate,saves you from moving a lot of household items,its a total sale thing,sell some good stuff that will bring in the bidders,and sell all your junk at the same time to make up for the loss or top dollar that you may have gotten for the good stuff,most of the time with a big move you will make enough to make it worth it,most auctioneers will charge a fee for the sale but they do all the leg work,advertising, and set up. just a thought..........