• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mail order mattress company -vs- store bought?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bill. The New Englander Matress was same brand we had for 18 years and it was still good enough to move to another bed room rather than throw out. The more recent one is wearing down fast. Quality not near the same as the older version.

I hate to think we could spend a bunch of money and a few years down the road have to do it all over again due to poor quality. scary.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
we bought a memory foam 5 years ago .we were told the box springs are important to have with it. no warranty without it they said.
both the wife and I are happy with it.
don't know about a mail order one. we went to a local store and bought it.
jim

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still a Sleep Number guy although I admit it is a ridiculous price to pay for an inflatable bed. We've used them for over 15 years and I must admit that they have saved me a lot of backpain. For over 10 years we have had the split king version where my wife can make her side firm and my side is soft and fluffy. I honestly can't see us sleeping on anything else although we might update to a more modern version.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We have a new split king motorized adjustable bed. We chose the tempurpeadic adjustable bases with soft sleep country mattresses. They had only 2 selections for mattresses. Soft and firm. My wife chose the firm one at first and it was like sleeping on the floor. She exchanged hers for a soft one. I can't do firm anymore. It has to be as soft as a pillow for my back. I love our bed. It's like laying on a soft pillow with enough firmness underneath that it doesn't feel like I'm sleeping in a hammock.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We went mattress shopping and didn't buy anything.

Stopped at the local SLEEP NUMBER mattress store and didn't like any of them. The one we felt somewhat comfortable on was the air mattress that was topped with memory foam.

We still have the mail order memory foam mattress. I'm actually OK with it. The lovely Mrs_Bob not so much. I do believe TempurPedic is better.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still doing homework to help me decide on a mattress. I thought this interesting but it is from a place that sells mattresses.
For those who have experienced any kind of memory foam please comment if you think this is accurate as to the difference in hybrid and memory foam.

I found the bad sex comment in the article very interesting but I've never heard anyone else say anything about that. Beds are good for sleeping and normally good for sex. Does memory foam lessen the functionality of the latter?

https://marksmattress.com/memory-foam-vs-hybrid-mattress/

Pros and Cons of a Hybrid Mattress
The early 2000s saw a tidal wave of first-generation memory foam brands (like Tempur-Pedic) gaining popularity here in the U.S. But fast forward to 2017, and many consumers have now had the opportunity to own a memory foam mattress long enough for the novelty to wear off. Yes, the feel of traditional memory foam was exciting at first to many with back pain, but just as many found (over time) that there was one very big drawback of first-generation memory foam: bad sex.

As a market response, hybrid mattresses were created by mattress manufacturers looking to capture that same contouring feel of memory foam mattresses without losing the crucial “bounce” of traditional spring mattresses. Unfortunately, very few of these hybrid attempts at the best of both worlds really capture the best aspects of either spring or memory foam beds. When they’re adequately bouncy, they seem to lack the body-cradling quality of memory foam, and when they cradle like memory foam, they lose the advantageous bounce quality spring mattress.

If you haven’t shopped for a new bed in a while, then you might not be aware just how much has changed in terms of the technologies being used in today’s mattress designs. In addition to materials science advances that have led to newer-generation memory foam mattresses with a completely different feel, there are also new combinations of materials (such as memory foam combined with springs) that widen the range of options even further. These are what the industry calls a hybrid mattress.

Since no one type of mattress design is ideal for everyone, we thought our customers might find it helpful to have a good foundation of pros and cons at their disposal for two of the most popular emerging mattress design options on today’s market.

Identifying the Differences Between a Memory Foam vs. Hybrid Mattress
Before diving into the differences between a memory foam vs. hybrid mattress, it makes sense to define a hybrid mattress. It’s similar to the way a hybrid car combines a traditional gasoline engine with battery power to get better gas mileage. A hybrid mattress is one that combines more traditional mattress springs with more contemporary memory foam materials to create a “best of both worlds” sleep experience (at least theoretically). But while the sales pitch behind hybrid mattresses would seemingly appeal to an extremely wide group of consumers, the real question is whether or not these beds actually live up to the hype.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, too soft a mattress really messes with the viable positions.

Hard to support yourself when your hands are buried in foam.

Nothing like a good firm mattress for a good firm time.:smile:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's what the kitchen counter is for. [emoji39] Our bed was available in two mattress levels of firmness. It's a memory foam tempurpeadic. My wife had chosen the firm one for her side being a split king. I chose the soft one. She ended up returning hers for the soft one. It does wonders for my back.

Side note. We have the adjustable bases for ours. Hers stopped working. We have new ones on the way.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys!!!!!! :tiphat:

Can you sit on the edge of the memory foam mattresses? I know it is not good to sit on edge of a conventional mattress but I do sometimes. Doubting you can do the same with memory foam.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Visited our mattress warehouse store today. Got an education on tempurpedic brand mattresses.
You can sit on the edge of them, they give a bit more and just like conventional it is not good for them but you can.
Ten year replacement guarantee. Sure sounded good, but have not seen it in writing.
Presidents day sale going on now. Save around $300 and can get 48 months interest free.
Like Bob said at the beginning of this thread a good on costs about $5000. If you want the lift that will raise back or feet it's 1100 more. I was thinking of spending up to $3k but with 48 months of zero percent interest I'm considering springing for the 6k package. Typing that figure seems crazy for a mattress. I need a drink. :eek:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Get the lift version. It's what we have and we love it. So many different positions. It has a couple of usb ports on each side. Built in lights for under each base. Vibrating massage for both the back and feet.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have shopped and shopped. I like the Tempur Pedic and would like the lift but I cannot justify $6000 without knowing for sure memory foam will be an upgrade for me. I read so many reviews that hate memory foam while some love it. Like anything else you won't know till you try one and spend some time on one.

I see companies with a 90 day, 120 day or even 365 day return policy but reviews on actually being able to return a mattress that is no longer compressed into an easy to handle box are not good.

So, I went the cheapest way I could to try memory foam. I ordered a Tempur Pedic 3" memory foam mattress topper. It sits on top of our current conventional mattress. The current mattress is a pillow top so I was concerned about sheets fitting but we just finished putting the mattress topper on and there was no issue getting the fitted sheets over the whole set up.

The memory foam is still expanding but it appears to be 95% to 100% done expanding already. Now fingers crossed that it helps and I don't have to spend a small fortune on a new mattress. LOL yeah, I'm cheap. :D

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Think of all the fuel you can buy now for the boat this summer since you saved on a mattress. [emoji6]

We just received our replacement bases for our split king motorized bed yesterday. The adjustable bases are all different and range in price. Ours is the top of the line. Some have only the head that lifts. Some have no massage. Some massage only the head. Ours has the head and leg massage. Both lift independently. Each base has 4 built in usb charging ports. It also has a light underneath for the night. I love it. I can actually sleep a full night.

Don't ask google why cornflakes were invented.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Tempur Pedic 3" mattress topper helped stretch the life of our wore out mattress. It did make the bed comfortable once again. Down side is it raised the height of an already high bed. No biggie. Worst part was over time it would walk down and need re positioned back to top of mattress. With a sheet on and comforter on the bed it was impossible to re-position.

So, we were sofa shopping and the place had mattresses. They had Beauty Rest, Tempur Pedic, Serta, Purple and more. We tried a lot of them. Conventional, memory foam and hybrids. Also tried the bed lifts with all their options. This was all at a Big Sandy superstore. Very impressive. We decided on the Purple4. We have 120 day try out with full refund / store credit if we don't like it. Loved being able to test Tempur Pedic and Purple at the same place. Very handy. The bed will be delivered next Thursday. I will post more on this once we have had a chance to try it out.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We just received our replacement bases for our split king motorized bed yesterday. The adjustable bases are all different and range in price. Ours is the top of the line. Some have only the head that lifts. Some have no massage. Some massage only the head. Ours has the head and leg massage. Both lift independently. Each base has 4 built in usb charging ports. It also has a light underneath for the night. I love it. I can actually sleep a full night.

We also sprang for the beauty rest motorized base. Massage, snore control (no clue how that works) lumbar support and ....USB charging port along with a few other functions. Sales lady did not mention lights and I did not ask so probably not. Ours is not the split. We got 20% off the package which really helped knock the price down so we went for it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You'll love that motorized base, especially if you read or watch TV in the bedroom. Much more comfortable than using a bunch of pillows or your head/back against the headboard.
One thing I will mention regarding the tilt bed, if you use it a lot, you're going to find that existing headboard storage or flat surfaces are not going to be reachable when tilted. I bought a side table to address that issue. Works well to hold a drink, meds... Here's the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6L4XG2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
wife and i have tempur pedic 12" it is several years old and just ordered one more for the spare room. This one is motorized frame like you said and a 12" mattress. i'm not to hip on mail order mattress yet. we'll see when it arrives on monday.
jim
'

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Update to our Purple 4, purple mattress. It made my back hurt worse. Wife loves it. I tried to like it, and thought I could live with it but ...my back pain during the night made it hard to sleep. I tried one of our spare beds and my back pain was there but not as bad. I read where if your back hurts when you get up but is not as bad after 15 or 20 minutes then your bed is the likely culprit.

We had 120 day trial where we could return it and trade for something else in the Big Sandy Super store. After this experience with the purple foam mattress I was afraid to try the tempurpedic ...I opted for what they call a 'hybrid' Beauty Rest in firm. It felt okay in the store and there is no return of the 2nd one we try. All the mattresses seem to be priced in the stratosphere. But same across the board online or in other stores I checked. They could not say when they would have the mattress we selected in stock so that it can be delivered but at least the paperwork is done and I won't be stuck with this purple foam mattress. A bed in a box is not for me, at least not for my everyday bed.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I love my Molblly memory foam mattress.
It sits on a frame.
The most comfortable bed I've ever owned.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was afraid of a bed in a box too doc.
I've got back problems.
This one so far has proven to be great.
I love it.
At first I thought my body would sink in and cause discomfort.
It never has.

You made me tear apart my bedding for a picture.
Lol

20200811_195233.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That happens to me too. The broken link thing. I can see the picture though.

We're loving our new split king motorized bed. Her original mattress was a firm one and felt like you were laying on the floor it was so hard. Mine is soft. Very soft. Memory foam. My back is happy in it. But I still wake up at first light with my back on fire.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks PG ...I'm just catching up here. I do see your pic and appreciate you tearing up your bedding for it. :tiphat:

Update on my mattress sage. Simmons Beauty Rest is still not in stock. Reconsidered the tempurpedic and decided on the Firm pro adapt one. It will be delivered next week. This is a final sale so ....I hope I like this 3500 dollar mattress cause I'm stuck with it. All sales final on the 2nd mattress you get from Big Sandy. Will post more once I've tried it a few nights. (I feel sorry for the dudes who have to move this purple mattress out. HEAVY and awkward for sure.)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mattress update. The Tempurpedic "adapt Pro Firm" was delivered in early September. I liked it right off, but it was extra firm. We were told that over time it would not be quite as stiff and that held true. My wife was not happy with it for the first few weeks. She weighs a good bit less than me so it took her more time to break down the stiffness on her side.
We've used it now for 3 months and I am happy to report we both love it. This mattress is a keeper. Expensive but well worth it.