• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Home Security Systems: Arlo

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been eyeing systems for awhile. I added Simply Safe alarm, motion detection, glass detection a few months ago. But it does not have a camera so that I can see what is going on, if anything, at the house.

So I opted for Arlo. Arlo (by Netgear) offers little color cameras that tie into your home router and it will text you or email you when motion is detected. You can turn on or off any camera in the system so I can keep watch on my polebarn 24x7 but turn off inside cameras in the house whenever we are home. Pretty slick.

Here is a shot from the outside camera and polebarn camera.

Attachments

• Arlo1.jpg
    Arlo1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 152

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can they be disconnected from the internet? Is the recording cloud based?

I'm somewhat scared of some of the internet appliances and their POTENTIAL ability to be used to spy on the house. Even things like the NEST thermostat and SMART TV sets have that potential.

That said, you get a really nice picture with those and I like the motion activated email notifications they send out. That is a great feature.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good question Bob. In the Arlo app I downloaded to use on my iphone I can turn cameras on and off. Storage is in the cloud for 30 days. I can dwnload any video from the cloud if I want, no charge.
So when I deactivate a camera is it really deactivated? I hope so but can't be positive. It sure would be horrible for Netgear if we found out they were spying on us, but we know it's possible. Due to my paranoia for this reason I did not want cameras with Microphones.
So for now I trust them. But also good to know, these are magnetically mounted and easy to take down and put back up. If in doubt I could easily set the camera face down on the table below it, and leave it that way till I leave the house or need it.

As for the cloud storage it only does 10 second clips. then it stops. Not sure how long before it is or could be activated again, but I got a whole lot of notifications when putting the cameras up. I have another wired system for the house that will record indefinitely and store it on a computer at the house (it's not hooked up as I have to run the wires, but I plan to get that done eventually for the whole protection plan. If someone broke in and found and stole or destroyed that computer I'd be completely out. So the cloud is good in that regard. But, as you pointed out, there s potential downsides to the cloud.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Samsung issued a warning for its SMART TV customers that 3-party software companies can listed to conversations in your home if you have one of their SMART sets. Its not Samsung doing the spying.

So I suspect that NETGEAR would likely not be the one watching/listening via an Arlo but...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, good point. I saw that on Samsung Smart TV's and suppose, if it's a 3rd party app my Panasonic Smart TV or any smart TV might be able to be hacked. I've laughed at how boring it would be to spy on us via the smart TV ...to hear what we say or to see into our room, but still the idea bothers me. With my laptops I cover the camera lens with black electrical tape to prevent spying.
It's a new era and that kind of stuff will happen.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, good point. I saw that on Samsung Smart TV's and suppose, if it's a 3rd party app my Panasonic Smart TV or any smart TV might be able to be hacked. I've laughed at how boring it would be to spy on us via the smart TV ...to hear what we say or to see into our room, but still the idea bothers me. With my laptops I cover the camera lens with black electrical tape to prevent spying.
It's a new era and that kind of stuff will happen.

But boring as you may be what if some hacks your cameras and sees nobody home ... Puts the camera into a playback loop so it doesn't record ... Robs you and leaves no video evidence because of the playback loop.

Or hacks the smart thermostat that senses when you leave and maps your coming/going ... Then kidnaps your child when he/shed comes home from school knowing no parent will be home.

Lots of scenarios to consider with these internet appliances :hammer:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
But boring as you may be what if some hacks your cameras and sees nobody home ... Puts the camera into a playback loop so it doesn't record ... Robs you and leaves no video evidence because of the playback loop.

Or hacks the smart thermostat that senses when you leave and maps your coming/going ... Then kidnaps your child when he/shed comes home from school knowing no parent will be home.

I can get on the internet using my neighbors thermostat connection.

Something to think about.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Agreed. Those risks are real. And what about when there is a power outage in the area. I do have a whole house generator but when on generator the cable feed does not come in so my high speed internet / router is all useless. So Arlo and Simply Safe hardware is useless at that point. Both rely on internet to feed information out.

All this is part of the reason I also plan to add a wired system that will record all motion. But nothing, and no matter how many safety nets, is foolproof. That's why God created Smith & Wesson and insurance.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice pictures, but damn, they are pricey.
Yes they are. Amazon had them at 499 for 4 cameras since last fall when I started price watching. They came down to $489 for 5 cameras a week or so ago. Plus they have 5 refurbished ones for $429. I did not want to mess with refurbished for that close to the price of new, so I went new on these.

I believe Sam's Club sells them also. Last fall the price was about the same as Amazon. Might have changed now.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,

Did you get Arlo Pro's? I have the pro system and it has 2-way audio and smaller camera's with enhanced video. I got my 4 camera system for $599 +tax from Best Buy and added a 5th camera for another $160. My system has been running over 6 weeks and my lowest battery is currently 88%. This system is great ..... Took the wife on a all day venture with dinner and a show Friday night. I ask our housekeeper to stop by and let Beaux out for a tinkle and she mooned us .......... LOL. Knew when her headlights hit the driveway. The siren is piercing.

Attachments

• Noname.jpg
    Noname.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 130

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have never looked for the microphone in my smart TV but I'd sure be tempted to find it and cut those wires. Especially if I was running for an office or dealing sensitive data others would want.

No Dawg, I didn't get the pro pack. I bought on Amazon. A 5 Camera set for 489. No smaller one with a microphone. Didn't see the need for a microphone. I also have Simply Safe for the alarm option and when out of town I can have them monitor the house for a small additional charge. No contract so I can cancel once back home. I like that.