• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

question about fruit..........

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
About three days ago I bought some black plums and some peaches. I know with peaches if I keep them on the counter for a few days they will ripen, and they have. However, the plums are still hard as a rock. Does anyone know how you would ripen plums that are no longer on the tree? I remember as a kid having a plum tree in our yard and they were so sweet and juicy, but these things are still hard as a rock. :sad:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
About three days ago I bought some black plums and some peaches. I know with peaches if I keep them on the counter for a few days they will ripen, and they have. However, the plums are still hard as a rock. Does anyone know how you would ripen plums that are no longer on the tree? I remember as a kid having a plum tree in our yard and they were so sweet and juicy, but these things are still hard as a rock. :sad:

The plums were picked too green to have enough enzymes to ripen fast.

This s normal with high volume produce retailing in stores such as WAL-MART. But, it is often done elsewhere. Plums are not shelf stable for long and do not ship well when ripe.

Try putting the plums in a bag (plastic or paper) with a ripe banana. As a banana ripens it gives off a gas that entices neighboring fruits to ripen.
Works with green picked tomatoes, pears and apples as well.:biggrin:

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The gas used to ripen green picked fruit is Ethylene. Bananas come off the boat bright green and are warehoused where this gas is induced as needed to speed up the ripening process. I have seen it used to ripen lemons also.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The gas used to ripen green picked fruit is Ethylene. Bananas come off the boat bright green and are warehoused where this gas is induced as needed to speed up the ripening process. I have seen it used to ripen lemons also.
True. Same gas used for Carbide lamps.
You can buy it at most farmer Coop stores in pellet form. Just add water.

Of course that is a lot of effort and expense for a few plums.

That said, it is the gas given off by ripe fruit so which is simpler to do?

One can reverse my advice and remember to never put ripe bananas or apples and tomatoes together unless you want the all those 'maters red at once.

Here's another tip, I grow pineapples in my personal green house. To get one to bloom, I use ripe apples and bananas to induce a plant to bloom. The gas will also do it. But since I eat a lot of fruit, the source is always available.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
IT worked, I put the plums in a bag on the counter. I tried one of the plums this morning and it was great.

I knew it worked for tomatoes, but didn't think about it working for other kinds of fruit.

Thanks Franc