• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

DMC 3700/Thiokol 1200 recovery

teamster

As previously posted looking for advice what to do with these 2 old cats, the local Ski Club approached me to make them an offer on them. They accepted my offer, I'm not sure that was a good thing, but I'm about the only one who was willing to remove them. Any way I managed to get the Thiokol myself by removing the tracks and towing it home with my tractor. My son offered to bring an rig mat down and winch the DMC onto the mat with one of his trucks and haul it home. I couldn't refuse. We only had to haul it a mile so we didn't worry to much about the local over width laws. The school bus driver did sit at an intersection and wait for us to go by. I plan on putting a little effort into them and running them thru the Ritchie sale in September. Other than a little neglect, they're not really in that bad shape. I'll have to splice the tracks on the DMC, but here in the Alberta oil patch that's a daily process.

Attachments

• photo 4 (1).JPG
    photo 4 (1).JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_1376.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_1376.JPG.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 561
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 539

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the 2100 has a ford 6 the 3700 has an allice chalmers in line 6 same as the 60 k military generators.

teamster

The DMC original came with the Allis chalmers engine but this machine was upgraded to a 180 HP turbo charged John Deere engine. 466 cubic inch.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
That is a bit less horsepower then the AC 3700 engine which was 200,but the John Deere is an engine that will last longer. Three of the AC3700 engines at the ski area i used to work ay all lost crankshafts at right around 3000 hrs, they just broke with no bearing failure. Don

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I understood that the allis chalmers engines would last a life time if never reved above 2200 rpm the ones in generators ran at 1800 and the over speed shut down would kick in at 2125. I replaced a but load of roosamaster pumps but never saw a crank failure on the ac motors. I like the idea of the deere engine also the 8.3 cummins conversion that Thiokol developed would have been a nice conversion.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
The AC cranks all broke in the front end,lots of fun getting those timing marks lined up in the timing window on those Roosa-masters when there in a 3700 tub !!:biggrin::biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
truth be known it's not a lot of fun in a dod 60 k generator too unless you have a notion to take the compartment off I used to use a little mirror the other problem was mechanics pulling the drive out of the rebuilt pumps as it just hung in there on the seal until the gear was bolted in and cover replaced. if the cranks were breaking in the front it sounds like a balancer problem I had a 6.2 diesel do that to me once because I was too cheap to buy a new one. the single largest problem with the ac motor I see now is getting parts for one. filters for my 380 ford have to be ordered in no one stocks them, I had to do an internet search for part numbers because none of the catalogues support those older diesels.

teamster

May be a little off topic. But for an old guy like me the bidirectional is great. Don't farm anymore but still need something to plow snow, mow brush and move stuff around. Great visibility, safe to get out of, unlike a skid steer, when lifting something, but you better go straight up a steep hill because they like to fall over like a trike. Also like anything hydro static they need to be maintained.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Is that what you call that I thought it looked like a cross between an ag tractor and a loader

teamster

The pto is on the same end as the loader. The loader is quick detach. Then you put the 3 point hitch arms on the same end as the loader was on. You rotate the seat and steering wheel 180 degrees and drive the other direction. When I mow brush I leave the seat facing the mower then I don't have to look back, just the same as backing up. Loader is foot control, direction is forward and back on one lever with a 3 speed range selector. 3 pt hitch is electric over hydraulic. You have an option of pto and 3 point hitch on the motor end as well. 100 HP.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
The pto is on the same end as the loader. The loader is quick detach. Then you put the 3 point hitch arms on the same end as the loader was on. You rotate the seat and steering wheel 180 degrees and drive the other direction. When I mow brush I leave the seat facing the mower then I don't have to look back, just the same as backing up. Loader is foot control, direction is forward and back on one lever with a 3 speed range selector. 3 pt hitch is electric over hydraulic. You have an option of pto and 3 point hitch on the motor end as well. 100 HP.
what does that have for an engine? I ask because my Thiokol also has a ford diesel it's a 380 turbo.

Dr. Zaugg

The Bi directional tractor started out as a Versatile 150. I sold a few of them. Ford owned Versatile for a while and kept that line. There was a Ford 276 and a 9030. (increasing HP) When Ford and New Holland joined it became the TV140,then145 and then TV6070 and as of this month no longer in production. You could get them with 3PT and PTO at both ends as well as the loader. Really excellent tractors. The New Holland TV models were from 110 HP to 140 HP. the best snowblower tractor money can buy.

teamster

This model has a Ford diesel, before they were bought out by Ford they were Cummins, before that they were Wakasha. The 3700 wasn't parked because of the front axle. Here's the real storey, the ski club bought the Thiokol in 1971 from a bankrupt ski hill by Calgary, Alberta. They used it to pull rollers until the late 80's. They then bought the 3700 for $72000.00 and parked the Thiokol in the shed. They used the 3700 until about 2000, when they ran the wheel bearings out of 2 wheels on the left side. Benign the experienced operators they were they ran it until both wheels came off and got jammed in the track, splitting2 belts on one side. They then parked it int the same shed as the Thiokol was in. A few years ago they bought a PBS 200 with 12000 hrs on it. 4 years ago the room fell in on the shed storing the 2 cats. They got the 3700 started and drove it outside, they towed the Thiokol outside. There they sat until a month ago. In there wisdom they tied onto each of the cats, while they were froze down and basically tore the track and front spinal off the 3700 and tore the front spinal off the Thiokol as well. Now the PB 200 has lift pump isuses and I've rolled the hill twice for them. At there present rate of wrecking stuff Ill own a PB 200 in about 2 years. I believe someone said on this forum that these machines should be looked after like an airplane, I do believe they do need some care or else they end up like these ones.

The Bi directional tractor started out as a Versatile 150. I sold a few of them. Ford owned Versatile for a while and kept that line. There was a Ford 276 and a 9030. (increasing HP) When Ford and New Holland joined it became the TV140,then145 and then TV6070 and as of this month no longer in production. You could get them with 3PT and PTO at both ends as well as the loader. Really excellent tractors. The New Holland TV models were from 110 HP to 140 HP. the best snowblower tractor money can buy.

Cool looking tractors. Here's part of the story

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tra...versatile/versatile-tractors-year-sorted.html

teamster

Just an update: I found a fellow on Kijiji looking for a wide track snow machine. Sold him the old Thiokol and I did very well. I drained and changed fuel filters in the 3700, gave it a boost and the straight piped John Deere roared into action. Runs well and everything works, from heater to the tiller. I guess I have a little work to do on tracks, axle and a few cracks. The wife thinks it would be fun for her to play with. I think it's a source of cash so I can buy another Tucker.

teamster

Exactly, you find them, then try to justify owning it, then find the cash, then explain to the domestic management why you HAVE to have it. It's all fun.

teamster

I do need to do something with it. I was going to remove it and then try to just replace the one end of it. I was going to take it to an axle shop that makes torsion trailer axles. Where is your axle located at?

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
We used to get new spindles that we could weld into the axle arm,not a big deal to cut ,or grind the welds off and slide in a new spindle.

Dr. Zaugg

If the spindle is just broken off I have a couple of new ones! You are correct that you can easily cut the old one off and weld the new back in.

teamster

I have removed the front axle and I either need a complete axle or a stub repair. Is the front axle supposed to have a rear ward bend in it to set the toe in? I'm going to have to cut apart the main frame and repair both sides and were the blade mount fastens on, because someone thought it was a D8 and some welder thought if you add enough steel it will hold. It didn't. I know this machine is not very desirable to us recreational users, but there's no leaks, everything works and I can't believe how this JD engine starts and runs. The hour meter works and reads about 2300. Even the interior doesn't show much wear. My plan is to fix it up and then sell it. Here in Alberta these machines get used lots for winter road work in the oil patch. The front axle I need would have to be for 66" wide tracks. Please let me know what you have and if you would like to send me some prices to rdbeckettholdings@gmail.com that would be great. Thanx Randy