• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugerman

I have Marlins in 45/70, 44 mag, and 38/357. All are great guns, but as far as a carry around in the woods while exploring the 38/357 excels, it is lighter, less recoil (especially with 38 ammo ) and I have several 357 pistols to match with it. I have killed several deer with it, even my wife likes to shoot it.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
At one time I thought I wanted a 45/70 lever action but just never pulled the trigger on one. Then I ran into a like new used older Marlin in .44 I just couldn't walk away from. It's proven out to be a winner and shoots real well. And when one goes out on a walkabout it's a lot easier to carry some spare ammo if one wants to.

I have a 1894 made in 1898 in 30-30 much liter rifle to carry around and shoots well but on the mountain with some 350# black bears I carry an 1886 in 45-70. The 30-30 will do the job but smokey might just live long enough if shot at close range to do me in unless shot placement is perfect. with the 45-70 if you hit it its good enough to give you a follow up shot if needed as that 405 grain hard cast bullet is going to knock him down even with a gut shot, he might get back up but he won't be feeling good. I carry bear spray and would do most anything to avoid shooting one but me or mine won't be getting mauled on the mountain. I also carry a replica Remington 1858 percussion revolver .452 bore with a 220grain conical as a back up. Marty

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I slept in until 10am this morning because I stayed up late having an in-depth discussion with my son Jeff.
He's converting to Judaism and also taking a trip to New York next week on a photography journey.
I'll share the pictures he takes.
My boy is doing a lot of soul searching since he's been through a series of relationships.
At the age of 41 I sure do hope he finds what he's looking for.

Bamby

I have a 1894 made in 1898 in 30-30 much liter rifle to carry around and shoots well but on the mountain with some 350# black bears I carry an 1886 in 45-70. The 30-30 will do the job but smokey might just live long enough if shot at close range to do me in unless shot placement is perfect. with the 45-70 if you hit it its good enough to give you a follow up shot if needed as that 405 grain hard cast bullet is going to knock him down even with a gut shot, he might get back up but he won't be feeling good. I carry bear spray and would do most anything to avoid shooting one but me or mine won't be getting mauled on the mountain. I also carry a replica Remington 1858 percussion revolver .452 bore with a 220grain conical as a back up. Marty

Actually in a rifle the .44 mag gives up very little to anything out to 100 yrds or so. I reload mine and have a 265 gr bullet designed for .444 mag worked out where it shoots tiny clover leaf groups out at 50 yards where I shoot it most of the time. They will zip right through a deer in at least the ones I've taken and I'd have no fear with a bear at any reasonable self defense range. I feel the bullets sturdy enough to break one down. I also use this bullet in my 50 cal muzzle-loader and they performed real well on deer with it as well.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Not feeling the greatest this morning so I skipped church. Dragged my sore a$$ outside to plow the driveway since we got a bit of blowing snow yesterday.

Only thing on the agenda this afternoon is kicking my feet up and watching the Daytona 500.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Actually in a rifle the .44 mag gives up very little to anything out to 100 yrds or so. I reload mine and have a 265 gr bullet designed for .444 mag worked out where it shoots tiny clover leaf groups out at 50 yards where I shoot it most of the time. They will zip right through a deer in at least the ones I've taken and I'd have no fear with a bear at any reasonable self defense range. I feel the bullets sturdy enough to break one down. I also use this bullet in my 50 cal muzzle-loader and they performed real well on deer with it as well.

If you comfortable with it and shoot it well stay with it. I am comfortable with the bigger bore and shoot the 1886 Winchester platform a lot. Ive been practicing being surprised at short distance and reacting quickly. The biggest bullet in the world won't do you much good if you can't hit anything with it especially up close and personal. There are some places on the mountain I have to go into with a lot of bear sign that is very spooky with very dense brush like where I have to maintain my spring box. Lots of water and Berries. Is you ML traditional or one of the new style that shoot sabots? I shoot traditional ML in both percussion and flint.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I slept in until 10am this morning because I stayed up late having an in-depth discussion with my son Jeff.
He's converting to Judaism and also taking a trip to New York next week on a photography journey.
I'll share the pictures he takes.
My boy is doing a lot of soul searching since he's been through a series of relationships.
At the age of 41 I sure do hope he finds what he's looking for.

Funny how the kids never quite leave the nest. He's lucky to have, not just a good mom, but a caring one with good advice.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have Marlins in 45/70, 44 mag, and 38/357. All are great guns, but as far as a carry around in the woods while exploring the 38/357 excels, it is lighter, less recoil (especially with 38 ammo ) and I have several 357 pistols to match with it. I have killed several deer with it, even my wife likes to shoot it.

I’m with David. I have the same three Marlins. The 357 is my favorite. I also have two 336’s a 30-30 and 35 Remington and a 39A 22.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I caught the shooting bug this weekend, today I pulled out an AR15 that I built 5-6 years ago. I haven't shot a modern rifle for a while so today I burned up a couple boxes of ammo. This one is built in 762X39 with a stainless bull barrel if I remember right is 1 0n 10 rifling, I put aperture sights on it as that is what I shoot best with old eyes. @ 50 yards it shot 1.5-2 M.O.A. with the el cheap Wolf ammo. Also I built it Communist compliant with a non featured stock ( no pistol grip) so it wouldn't be considered an assault rifle and have to be registered as such. Earlier today I ripped out some old bushes and shrubs around the house that were 15 years old and ugly and will start over. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 48

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny how the kids never quite leave the nest. He's lucky to have, not just a good mom, but a caring one with good advice.
I'm always there for my sons, Francis.
Always. :smile:

Well! Thank God I finally have a day off!
Things were beginning to get very, very stressful at work.
Not just for me, but for everyone.
Between the flu that hit us hard, short staffing and vacationing going on as well, I came home a few nights and just collapsed in tears.
Hopefully we've moved beyond that now.
No big plans today.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Its family day up here so all the kids have the day off. Again. And the teachers are having another strike day Friday so they only go 3 days this week. Nothing on the agenda today other than driving my oldest in to the city so he can plan a winter camp with a couple of the venturers (venturers are older scouts aged 15-18) We encourage them to plan things out on their own for upcoming camps. We have a winter camp at the log cabin in 2 weeks.

Oh, and my only other task today is to hopefully take a dump. Lol. With this gallbladder issue, it quite often plugs me up for days. When that happens, I can't eat. So I've been losing weight rather quickly.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, and my only other task today is to hopefully take a dump. Lol. With this gallbladder issue, it quite often plugs me up for days. When that happens, I can't eat. So I've been losing weight rather quickly.
That's because you're not producing enough bile because of the gall stones.
Better be careful with that.
Hard chalky stools are a sign that something needs to be done.

Bannedjoe

I'm going to completely paint myself with a 100% silicone roof coating.

I won't do it on purpose though, I'll just end up that way!:smile:

Bamby

Its family day up here so all the kids have the day off. Again. And the teachers are having another strike day Friday so they only go 3 days this week. Nothing on the agenda today other than driving my oldest in to the city so he can plan a winter camp with a couple of the venturers (venturers are older scouts aged 15-18) We encourage them to plan things out on their own for upcoming camps. We have a winter camp at the log cabin in 2 weeks.

I'm far away from being a doctor but there was a time a lot of people did fine using old traditional medicine. Here is one that has worked for me and others in the past:

Prunes and prune juice: A natural remedy for constipation

Eating prunes, or dried plums, can alleviate constipation. According to a study in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, dried plums and their derivatives, such as prune juice, can prevent constipation and may prevent colon cancer. The nutrients found in prunes may also help control obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases.

Research also shows that using prunes and prune juice can be more effective than other constipation-relieving methods. One study in Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics states that prunes work even better than medications containing psyllium. Another study says that prunes should be used as a first-line therapy for constipation.

A super fruit

Dried plums are considered to be very good for your overall health. Prune juice is filtered, so it doesn’t have the high fiber content of dried prunes. Still, both are laxatives because of their high sorbitol content. Dried plums also contain:

iron, which helps prevent anemia
potassium, which aids in healthy blood pressure
sugars combined with soluble fiber, which provides sustained energy
phenolic compounds, which help prevent chronic diseases
boron, which can help prevent osteoporosis

Recommended serving sizes

Prune juice is an effective remedy for constipation in both children and adults. When giving prune juice to an infant, the Mayo Clinic recommends trying 2 to 4 ounces at a time and adjusting the amount as needed. For adults, drink 4 to 8 ounces of prune juice each morning to stimulate a bowel movement. Copy & Pasted from Here

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I got 3 loads of laundry done.
Oh how I loathe going to the laundrymat!
The only apartments here with washer and dryer hookup are the 2 bedrooms and the studios.
So guess I'm gonna have to get used to it.
:hammer:
Anywho, the apartment is spic and span as well. Yippee!
I'm done for the day except for making dinner later.
<plop!>

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I got 3 loads of laundry done.
Oh how I loathe going to the laundrymat!
The only apartments here with washer and dryer hookup are the 2 bedrooms and the studios.
So guess I'm gonna have to get used to it.
:hammer:
Anywho, the apartment is spic and span as well. Yippee!
I'm done for the day except for making dinner later.
<plop!>
My son once had and over/under washer dryer, that hooked up to the kitchen sink. 110 volt and a discharge out the window plate kit.

You might look into that. Best Buy has a couple of nice units, one from GE and one from Bosch., but pricey.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I worked a shutdown today 12 hr. of conveyor repair. Just got home. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 95

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This morning every furnace in the building was out. Service tech was called last week.

So I'm futzing around trying to get at least one going.
Flame sensor is most likely the issue.

Office is back up,,,so far...?

One in the warehouse lights for awhile, It hits targeted temperature, shuts down and won't start again unless I turn it off and back on.

It would not be so bad but that we painted yesterday and the cold will not let the paint cure

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Gym this morning. Then chiropractor. Home to work on my son's car again. Now back to the city for another round of injections on my legs.

Bannedjoe

I'm still coated in silicone roof paint.
Had to cut my hair, and trim my beard to get the stuff out.
I'm coated from my hands to my elbows still, and this stuff doesn't come off unless you use gasoline while it's still wet.

I think I have about 12 more gallons to apply tomorrow before I'm done.

This stuff would make an awesome underarm antiperspirant, as long as you shave first!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It's been raining all freekin' day again!

Had to take my Gypsy to the vet this morning for her annual shots and stuff. She's amazing. Get her on a leash away from the house and she is an absolute angel. She's so well behaved and obedient. Now, at home and in the RV she can become the avenging angel of death. She is so territorial and protective that she worries me. She wants to protect me of all things, not so much my wife but ME. Me who never goes anywhere without a firearm on me and others within easy reach. No telling how a dog's mind works.

Had lunch at Cowburners, it's Wings Wednesday. I haven't missed it in months. I don't even have to order, just walk through the door. They also have good beer.

The rest of the day I just sat around and watched the rain come down. My back is to the point that I can actually do some work if I'm careful but with weather like this there is no point. Still, every day of rest lets my back get better. Sometime soon I'm going to have to do something.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm off today.
Yesterday was something else!
Without going into too much detail, I'll just say I was never so happy to do a discharge in all my life. :clap:
We had a perfectly horrible man with us for about a month on rehab.
Rude, nasty,demanding and thought he was staying at The Ritz hotel.
To ensure that he never returns, it was a bit tricky but it helps when your administrator is actually from corporate lol

Status
Not open for further replies.