• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oil seals

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Have any of you had to make your own oil seals for wheel axles ?

I've found a good selection of bearing shim washers, finally, And now I need to make some kind of seal with a sheet of rubber gasket material or square o-ring or ???

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oil Seals are cheap. The ones I got from Bombardier for the wheels of my J5 were incorrect. I went to a Bearing dealer and got the correct ones for about 2$ Ea. From a bearing supplier the bearings themselves are cheap too.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Some I got were $25 each !!!!!

I haven't found any cheap ones.

Mostly I am wondering about the effectiveness of the inside of the seal bearing on a stack of shim washers. 1/8 thick. Or finding a seal with a relitively large ID ???

J5 Bombardier

On my J5 the 6 wheel seals were a straight forward CR seal [can look for the number if needed]. The frt drive sprockets had two seals stacked on each side, Bombardier only, not much of a seal for the price but I was not able to cross to anything else.The walking beams on each side at the rear use a large washer the full of the hole in the beam with a sqare o ring between the washer and bearing. You can shim between the hull and inner washer to adjust the beam if loose, check your grease fitting pipes that feed these bearings are not plugged before installing the beam.
J5 Bombardier:flagcan: