• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trailer hitch problem

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had my 25' Baja for 15 years. This has never happened before, but, as they say, first time for everything.
I have an eagle trailer. I went to hook it up Sunday to trailer the boat later that day and no matter what I could not get it to set down on the ball like it always has. I had an extra 2" ball free of a hitch and tried to push it up in and nope, could not do it. So I ended up taking out the bolt that holds the inerds of the hitch in place. Moved the piece that appeared to be stopping the hitch from sitting down on the ball and wala, I had it fixed. At least I thought so.

Pulled out the boat later that day. Get it home and go to unhook the trailer, no way hose-A. No matter what I did I could not get the hitch off the ball. So, my fix must've screwed things up. I ended up putting both the truck and boat in the pole barn and left it at that. I need to know how the inerds of the hitch should be ....and thoughts as to what might have happened to cause the hitch issue.

Any diagrams or resources that might give me a clue would be appreciated. I should add that the hitch and works are well lubricated. I put fluid film on all the parts long before the problem. So I do not believe this is a lube issue.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had my 25' Baja for 15 years. This has never happened before, but, as they say, first time for everything.
I have an eagle trailer. I went to hook it up Sunday to trailer the boat later that day and no matter what I could not get it to set down on the ball like it always has. I had an extra 2" ball free of a hitch and tried to push it up in and nope, could not do it. So I ended up taking out the bolt that holds the inerds of the hitch in place. Moved the piece that appeared to be stopping the hitch from sitting down on the ball and wala, I had it fixed. At least I thought so.

Pulled out the boat later that day. Get it home and go to unhook the trailer, no way hose-A. No matter what I did I could not get the hitch off the ball. So, my fix must've screwed things up. I ended up putting both the truck and boat in the pole barn and left it at that. I need to know how the inerds of the hitch should be ....and thoughts as to what might have happened to cause the hitch issue.

Any diagrams or resources that might give me a clue would be appreciated. I should add that the hitch and works are well lubricated. I put fluid film on all the parts long before the problem. So I do not believe this is a lube issue.

It sounds like the shaft which raises and lowers the "claw" had bent and is binding in the Slide. That or the hole in which it slides has walloed and the shaft is impinbged.

In either case lube would help untill the damage went beyond function.

I encounter the same issues with my flatbed hauler with a 2 1/2" often. Sometimes I must use a claw hammer to get it loose. No reason, just stubborn since new.

Replacement seems a solution.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good thoughts Frac.

It had been a little stubborn, and I thought it simply needed a good lubing. That helped but perhaps you nailed it. I won't be taking it apart until after I launch the boat this weekend. I'll leave the boat in the water a little longer than normal to allow me to repair the hitch.

Where would one get replacement inerds for a trailer hitch. Any idea?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
it may just be rust also, I have dealt with this many times in the past up here with mud and crap on the roads. that is the secondary reason I went to a pintel hitch the primary reason was to discourage the can I borrow your trailer syndrome

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good thoughts Frac.

It had been a little stubborn, and I thought it simply needed a good lubing. That helped but perhaps you nailed it. I won't be taking it apart until after I launch the boat this weekend. I'll leave the boat in the water a little longer than normal to allow me to repair the hitch.

Where would one get replacement inerds for a trailer hitch. Any idea?

E trailer

hitch parts

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Accessories_and_Parts-sf-Trailer_Coupler.aspx

C25194_tn.jpg

You have to know brand and the nylon lock nut has to be adjusted to fit right over tight and it wont work right.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. My hitch is one with a round twist knob on top with a tab you hold down when undoing it. Differnt than the one in the pic but still the parts might interchange. :tiphat:

My houseboat trailer has the pintel hitch. It sure does have it's advantages. Seems most heavy / I mean really heavy equipment uses a pintel hitch

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. My hitch is one with a round twist knob on top with a tab you hold down when undoing it. Differnt than the one in the pic but still the parts might interchange. :tiphat:

My houseboat trailer has the pintel hitch. It sure does have it's advantages. Seems most heavy / I mean really heavy equipment uses a pintel hitch

MFG should be stamped on coupler with the weight

F520801_tn.jpg

F610801_tn.jpg

or

T4339720_tn.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is a real possibility Jerry. That's why I was hoping for a drawing of how it should be. I didn't think I needed parts but with the age of the trailer and the use I've put it through, parts might be in order.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
If the load exceeds the design you may have a bent shaft. Or, over time, worn a small grove in it. That groove will catch hard in the frame metal. Now, you can polish it out but the shaft will then be smaller and weaker.

New pars if you can get them.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Unscrew it and turn the bottom clasp 180. The original problem was most likely that it was not dropping the clasp down low enough. It will not come off with the small radius gripping on the ball until it drops below the hitch. Unscrew it a long way and tap on the bolt end and it will drop down. Lay on your back and look at it and you will see what I mean. They have to drop down and back to go over the ball.