• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

different size wheels

tracklover

So while taking my machine apart to get the tire off I figured I might as well service all my bearings on the side with the wheel off. I noticed the front wheels are large bearings and dust caps and the back 2 are the smaller 2" dust caps and bearings. I also have the threaded rod track tensioner system so I'm thinking someone must have changed the front wheels and mounts before I got it. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20140928_104336.jpg23.jpg
    20140928_104336.jpg23.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 185

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Someone might have replaced the front unit that connects between the body axle, the spring can and the wheel axle.
I had to replace that part on a J5 because the metal out side the bearings was worn from the track hitting it.
The small axle wheels are more valuable than the larger ones.

That is an early machine and looks in pretty good shape :)

The engine will cool better with the side covers on. ( assuming the fan goes the original way…)

rcc

You have a pre 1960 J5, they were made with the smaller axle/bogie easily identified by the smaller 2" bearing cap. Post 1960 were made with the larger axle/bogie identified by the 3" bearing cap. I is not uncommon for the older small axle to break or wear. The smaller outer bearing would also fail and wear through the axle. I know as I had mine welded. Yours has been replaced with the post 1960. Looks like the track is the 15" cross link common on the SW48 and used on some late model J5's. I have the screw style track adjuster on all three on my J5's and they work just fine. The grease adjuster was an option on later models, but not on pre 1960.