• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Aktiv Grizzly starving for fuel

barden

I just bought an Aktiv Grizzly (Polaris?) that I think is an '85 or '86. It has the 440 engine. It seems to be in relatively good shape, but after running perfectly for a few minutes, it starts starving for fuel. I've done enough trouble shooting to confirm that it is a fuel issue, but I don't know what to do about it. I'll describe some of its lackings, and if anything rings a bell, I'd appreciate opinions. Problem number 1, it has a makeshift fueltank with no kind of check valve in the tank. I'm not sure whether I should crack the cap to vent the tank or what. Does anyone know where I should look for a tank? The cooling fan on the left side of the drive shaft is broken, and the housing that goes around it is gone. I am going to try to take this to a machine shop unless anyone knows where I could find a replacement. I never knew what the housing was supposed to look like until I saw pictures in another thread, now I'm wondering if this is my fuel problem. It looks like this fan either cools or warms the incoming air/fuel mixture? Since I don't have the fan on there, or the housing to direct the air to the intake, would this fully explain my fuel problem? Any advice and/or connection to parts or manual would be appreciated. Thanks

barden

hmm, maybe. Thanks.
I have tried leaving the cap cracked, so at least it can get some replacement air in the tank, so I'm not convinced that that's the only issue. I tried to get it going last night, and I couldn't even get it to run at all, except when I poured fuel directly into the bowl or into the cylinders. Then it would run until it burned through that fuel and would stall again. I'm going to pull the fuel pump and clean it up. If that doesn't work, I'll replace the fuel pump.
What I really would like to know is, what is the purpose of the fan on the drive shaft that has a tunnel gonig up to the intake manifold? I don't know how important this is, or even whether it is cooling or heating something. Please inform me if you know.
Thanks

swavo

first check if the fuef pump is working, dust disconnect from the carb and put the hose into a coke bottle ( or pepsi ) and crank it over. you could check the feul pick up tube some times there is a screen type filter on the end that may get clogged by rust or sediment in the tank.
the fan on the drive axel and cover are there sucknin cold air to help cool the belt and clutch .
I need the starter driver sprocket where can I find one of those?

barden

Thanks for the advice. I did change the fuel pump because I wasn't getting any fuel coming out. This did not fix the problem however. I ended up fixing the problem simply by putting a filter in the fuel tank at the end of the fuel line, which must have a one way valve in it. It starts within 5 pulls every time now.
Where were the starters on these machines? I think mine is completely missing.
Also, do you have any advice for improving the steering? My machine is very hard to maneuver, and I feel like there is something wrong with the front ski, because it digs in quite a bit when I reverse direction. Any thoughts?

sledhaus

Your steering sounds perfectly "normal" for any single ski machine. You must not have ever driven or owned a Skidoo Alpine. You would have learned some valuable lessons that would likely have steered you clear of the Grizzly. All of these type of machines (single ski, twin track) are large workhorse snowmobiles with no real purpose outside of utility use. They are not fun to drive and you have to keep them in running condition or have a skidsteer to move them with. Hopefully you have good health insurance coverage with chiropractic and a strong faith to get you through this period in your life.:brows:

barden

I don't think I ever saw the last reply from sledhaus until now. LOL, thanks for the words of wisdom. Thank goodness for this forum, as I'm having a similar issue again now, and I had forgotten how I solved the problem last time. I just bought a new fuel pump this morning, but maybe I will test the old one more carefully before I take the new one out of the bag.

It is common for the fuel line inside the tank to get old and brittle which then cracks and sucks air instead of fuel. Sometimes you will get it running and then it will die or not want to start again after you shut it down. Also if your engine is tired it will not develop enough crankcase pressure to operate the fuel pump which again maybe intermittent and be affected by temperatures.

barden

Thank you Alaska Snow Cat. I should just replace the whole line. I'd like to put a nice marine tank under the seat anyway, as the current gerry rigged tank is on the back rack. Do you have experience specifically with a Grizzly? Fortunately, I don't think the engine is tired. It has plenty of other issues, but so far not with the engine or carb.

barden

I've been wanting to do this kind of 1 ski--> 2 ski conversion for years, and finally found this video of someone who did it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY1IibiFECY

I emailed him to ask how well it worked, but no reply so far. They used a Ski Doo Tundra, which I was not familiar with. That seems like the way to go, as the suspension style would be easier to attach than most others. It also looks a like the way the Italian Alpinas work now. Now that I've found a decent 1991 Tundra for $650, I have to ask myself if it's a better idea to just run the Tundra. Probably should, but it would be hard to give up on the old Grizzly.

I rode one once and it was a little better than my Dad's Alpine but not by much. It was fairly new at the time and had no mechanical issues. This type of machine has a very limited purpose where it out performs others but the Scandic and Bearcat replaced the Grizzly and Alpine in the utility category a long time ago and few people have looked back. :biggrin: Have fun!!