• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oil Capacity of OC-4 Diff

AKdadio

Here is a dumb (?) question. . . what is the proper oil level for a C4 differential. Or, anyone know the capacity (how much to poor in when empty)?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
AKdadio said:
Thanks Junkman. Nice list of belongings btw.

Thanks...... I keep adding to it daily.... Can't let Dargo get ahead of me with possessions....:hide:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Is one plug higher than the other? Do you fill from the top hole until it comes out the bottom hole... or is the bottom hole for draining and the top for filling?

nutsster

There is a larger top fill plug for adding oil. On the left side, (from the rear) is a fill level plug. Remove and fill it until it runs out the side. Always keep it full because the oil aids in cooling. If it becomes too low you could damage your brake bands by glazing them from heat. If the oil is old, drain it from the bottom plug and replace it with 50wt Stait Mineral Oil (Aeroshell 100 Non-detergent) That is what is recommended from the manufacturer. :D

AKdadio

Have heard I can use "Tractor Hydraulic" as well. That is readily available at NAPA for instance. It does not say what viscosity it is . . . anything wrong with using it?

griz

Here is a pic of the fill to plug

Attachments

• 100_2838 (Small).JPG
    100_2838 (Small).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 392

AKdadio

Thank you for posting photos griz! I think I will give peterson a call and ask on the "tractor hydraulic". It is one of their guys in the NW who told me you could use it but I will double check. The other stuff referenced above is not really an off-the-shelf item here. I will report my learnings.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The OC-4 was a model of the Oliver crawler tractor produced in the 1960's. Is the drivetrain from Oliver by chance? I had a 1958 Oliver OC-4 crawler tractor with blade and a Funk automatic transmission. I still have a set of "bands" for that transmission that I purchase in contemplation that someday I might have to rebuild it. The tractor is long gone to tractor heaven or it might have been restored by the purchaser, I just don't know.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
AKdadio said:
Thank you for posting photos griz! I think I will give peterson a call and ask on the "tractor hydraulic". It is one of their guys in the NW who told me you could use it but I will double check. The other stuff referenced above is not really an off-the-shelf item here. I will report my learnings.

Check your local airport/pilot or fuel/oil dealer for the airport for the Shell Aero 100 mineral oil. It was widely used in aviation applications.

AKdadio

Thanks for that tip mtntopper. Junkman, I will send you an email off-forum about the brake bands. Perhaps you can scratch some items from your list of dust collectors.

Teeoster

Just a FYI, Shell makes AeroShell 65, 80 and 100 and they are 30, 40 and 50 weight respectivly. If you are operating in real cold weather, you might want to use the thinner oil.

AKdadio

Didn't get a real answer whether tractor hydraulic was okay, BUT I did find Aeroshell here. Aviation supply house- thanks.