• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1202B wet distributor

wildskies.com

Hi All,

We came out of our cabin in 24 to 26 inches of new powder today and when we got to the car our 1202B quit (+- 2.5 miles). The distributor was wet inside and out. I was lucky and had the WD40 on hand and after a little bit of wiping out the water it started right up. Has anybody had the problem and come up with a fix? It's still got the Ford 200 CID.

Thanks,

Chip

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi All,

We came out of our cabin in 24 to 26 inches of new powder today and when we got to the car our 1202B quit (+- 2.5 miles). The distributor was wet inside and out. I was lucky and had the WD40 on hand and after a little bit of wiping out the water it started right up. Has anybody had the problem and come up with a fix? It's still got the Ford 200 CID.

Thanks,

Chip

yes one problem the snow trac has is the distributor sits in the front of the machine and is exposed to the out door weather. when running through blowing snow I have had the same problem. what I do is use hd Ziploc freezer bag cut a hole in the top run my wires through it and zip tie it at the top and let it drape over the distributor with a long skirt. I have never needed to tie up the bottom and the thing has run reliably ton the point the carb linkage has froze into a solid block.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
yes one problem the snow trac has is the distributor sits in the front of the machine and is exposed to the out door weather. when running through blowing snow I have had the same problem. what I do is use hd Ziploc freezer bag cut a hole in the top run my wires through it and zip tie it at the top and let it drape over the distributor with a long skirt. I have never needed to tie up the bottom and the thing has run reliably ton the point the carb linkage has froze into a solid block.

Don, they do make these

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Distributor-Coil-Waterproof-Kit-Black-p/waterproof-ignition-kit.htm

But if the bag works can't knock it

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have seen those but until last year when my distributor crashed I had a vacuum advance those covers are for the 009 distributor.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You need a bottom skid plate otherwise in deep snow it gets kicked up by the fan and blows all over the engine. Where in Colorado ?

wildskies.com

We are located on the Flat Tops. The skid plates are in place. The day things got wet was a real powder day. I'm gonna try the plastic bag trick. I also have the WD40 on hand too.:biggrin: WildSkies.com

Easy, (2) options, install a coal burning diesel! or swap the motor out for a fuel injected distributor-less ignition such as out of a newer bronco etc...
that's our plans with the 1202-b thiokol we just purchased!
or option (3) stick with the bags and wd40, electromotive cleaner actually works better and wont blow the cap off and into a million peices when it ignites under the cap! the electromotive cleaner will evaporate much faster and is way safer! also try putting a thick film of dielectric grease around the base of the cap to prevent moisture from getting in or just use some good water proof grease! but if your set in your ways I would recommend caring a spare cap and fire extinguisher just in case, I have seen it happen 25+ years wrenching on cars etc..be safe! wouldn't want you to have a unexpected winter barbecue!:brows: