• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 cross member question

IMP

Site Supporter
Does anyone know what the purpose of this hole is in the crossmember between the two front motor mounts is for? Its slightly bowed up from hitting rough terrain and has vertical cracks along the edge of the drilled out hole. Its naturally a weak point where the hole is. Why is it there? Im going to fix it unless someone has a good reason not to. I would still like to know why someone would do that?

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 226
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 225

J5 Bombardier

I believe one end of a draw bar attaches there at the motor mount crossmember, it's in the parts book as an option.
J5 Bombardier

IMP

Site Supporter
Thanks for the insight J5 Bombardier. I did see the hole in my manual with no explanation for it's use, but at least I know it's a factory design. What is a "draw bar" and what is the purpose?

J5 Bombardier

Is that an accumulation of " Alaska gold " beside that motor mount or brazing rod ? I guess I've been watching to much " Gold Rush Alaska" on the TV. "Draw Bar" ? ,picure a tractor towing stuff around only it has rubber tracks= J5 . Keep the pics coming

IMP

Site Supporter
If all that "Dust" was gold I would be making you a handsome offer on one of your pristine J5's instead of building mine up from the dust. I think I will interpret your "draw bar" explanation as fix it, weld up the hole, and make it stronger. I have been taking pictures of my J5 progress but have been waiting to share them until Im farther along. Then it will look like I get lots of things done really fast. But here is a little photo preview of what I finished last week. Now Im working on fabricating a all new engine cowling. The previous owner decided to move the radiator vertical and to the rear(like a car). He did a bad job. I plan to move it back original.:smile:

Attachments

• Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 184
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 179

J5 Bombardier

Nice pics IMP ! The radiator in the Tropical style (at the rear) on a J5 is pretty hard to beat. No cooling issues with a shroud enclosing the fan and on a hot day the side panels can be removed unlike the rad over engine design. Keep up the good work.:hammer:
J5 Bombardier