• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cookies!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Little know fact about me: I'm a cookie baker.

My favorites are the old fashion "toll House" chocolate chip cookies. Simple, easy and quick. Not to mention easily modified and very tasty! :biggrin:

My problem lately is I can't get them to rise while baking. They always seem to turn out flat. (Still really good, just flat.)

Where am I going wrong?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Little know fact about me: I'm a cookie baker.

My favorites are the old fashion "toll House" chocolate chip cookies. Simple, easy and quick. Not to mention easily modified and very tasty! :biggrin:

My problem lately is I can't get them to rise while baking. They always seem to turn out flat. (Still really good, just flat.)

Where am I going wrong?
Are you using butter or margarine when you make them?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
If you're following the authentic toll house recipe, then they should come out just fine with butter.
Marg makes them turn into flat, greasy pancake cookies.
Trust me, I know..:yum:

Yeah, it is genuine, locally made, salted butter, but they are still greasy little pancake cookies...

I've tried the butter-Crisco stix and get the same results, too...

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Soda, salt, butter, vanilla, sugar, sugar, 2-eggs, flour...

I've actually thought about cheating and adding some baking powder.

snow dog

cheating with baking powder? if your going to cheat, get the poor girl next door to bake you some cookies, next time you help her

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
How fresh is your flour and baking soda? Everything has a shelf life, and if stored where moisture can get in the ingredients, this will shorten the life of the product. Are you using bleached or unbleached AP flour? Personally, I despise bleaching of flour, as all it does is make the flour whiter and add additional unwanted (for me at least) chemicals in my baked goods. I strictly use unbleached AP and bread flour (Montana Sapphire made with hard winter wheat). My wife has had a similar problem where it appeared that the choc chip cookies were not baking completely and they were not rising, kind of like the oven was not working properly. But, I bake bread almost weekly, and have not noticed any change in bake times, so I've ruled out the oven. I bought new baking powder and baking soda since then, but she has not tried to make them since the failure. Like you, she ALWAYS got good results from the original recipe until this last batch. Maybe it's Obama's fault for a change.:yum::yum::yum:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
From a link on PG's referenced website:

So many people write to me to ask about problems they run into making Toll House cookies, and the #1 problem I hear about is: "My cookies come out flat! What can I do?" This is such a common problem. Here are the first few things you should check:
-make sure your cookie dough is cold when you put it on the cookie sheet. If you have to chill it in between batches, that's what you should do;
-make sure your cookie sheet is cooled to room temperature between batches. I usually rinse mine under the tap to clean off the crumbs and cool it down;
-mix the dough thoroughly but don't over-mix it;
-try adding a tablespoon up to an additional 1/4 cup of flour to the recipe;
-don't overbake.