• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Better Tires for a lawn tractor

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got a Husqvarna 2148 with the stock turf tires . (20-10-8 ).
I use wheel weights and tire chains to improve it's traction and they work . But the ride with the chains ,going down the drive way is terrible .
Without the chains , the tires slip on the slightest of inclines especially when turning or backing up .
Do any of you folks know of a slightly better tire than the current ones I have ?
Thank You , John

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a 17hp Simplicity with traction problems. I didn't try chains, I went right to AG's. They worked great. Didn't mark up the yard since the tractor wasn't that heavy.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Nixon,
same thing here.
I got some Carlisle Super tracs (I think) and filled them with water in the inner tubes.
No more traction problems, if anything its a bit too grippy, but still no turf damage with them

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
nixon said:
Thanks Doc . What brand of tire did You Buy ?

I've no idea what brand. I had it in for other work, and found out they had AG in my size. It was an impulse buy. :eek:

Like Mith, I had them loaded.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John,

How does it work with the weights but no chains?
Like Mith, I just filled mine and had great traction.

Brian

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Not all that much better. But then the weights are the factory type ,and don't weigh that much . If it's not an imposition , could You tell me what,and how You filled Your tires ,or point Me to Mith's post on the subject ? Thanks , John

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was many years ago but if I recall, I just took the core out of the valve stem, inserted a rubber tube (fish tank air line?) with a small funnel on the filling end and filled with windshield washer fluid. I think I tried to tape the hose to the valve stem but that hindered progress since there was no place to allow the displaced air to escape.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I went with the Carlisle AG style tires and the Crapsman wheel weights on my GT5000. I filled my front tires with windshield washer fluid. All the extra weight slowed the tractor down a bit but it is a tank on the hills.

You can tear up the grass if you are not careful but in general they work pretty good.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks PB. I just looked at the carlisle tires site, they are just what I'm looking for.