• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

holly plant

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
what kind of maintenance will a small to medium size (outside) holly plant need throughtout the fall and winter?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The only thing I watch for on mine is when you get an ice storm and it builds up on the plant. Since they're green all winter, they have a tendency to collect more ice then a bare bush and it starts pulling the branches down. I just kick them with the side of my boot to brake icicles off.

BoneheadNW

Holly is considered a noxious weed in this area. I had to use the chain saw to cut down a large holly bush on my property. They do grow quickly.
Bonehead

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
thanks folks. ive alwyas loved the look of holy, especially int he winter when the snow is on it. i think it would be a great way to add some color to my fron porch during the winter time.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
if you get a boy and at least one girl plant you will get the red berries on the girl plant.
(label will read china boy or china girl)

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wrap them in burlap if they are exposed to a lot of wind in the winter. I lost one to freeze this past winter.