• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

When do you expect to start mowing?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Well it seems that our old mate Larry has started already, and it sounds like some of you guys have seen some warm weather.
When do you expect to start mowing, are you looking forward to it (like the plague)?

Usually start mid March here, hey, we are expecting snow next week, I just cant keep up with Larry :yum:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Larry is from Ohio. He had some warm weather but I will bet you that his grass was browner than a buffalo dump and too short to mow. He probably did more damage to his lawn than one thinks. His weather is not that much different from Minnesota and we typically start mowing May or after. He probably had nothing to do so he went out and mowed his lawn.:confused:

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it's dry enough I'll probably need to mow in a couple of weeks, judging from present growth and the forecasted warmer temperatures. In the spring around our place I can usually keep the grass down reasonably well on the 4-5 acres around the house but the pastures often get pretty high before it dries out enough to clip. That really makes for mosquito problems!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
:wave: If I can ask ,what brand mower are you using . I need to pick up a mower for this coming season and really don't know which to buy . I have about 5 to 10 acres that I will be starting to cut and more as I open up new area . My tractor is a Kioti DK45 if that makes any difference . I was hoping to use a 6' rough cut style mower . I do not have a problem paying more ,if the value is there . I plan on needing this to the day I die .

Al:tiphat:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
The lawn people have been mowing the yard every two weeks, not that it needs it, but when we are down here, it has to look like they are earning their money.

When we get home, will not start mowing until June.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My first mow of the year is normally mid April. I've never mowed in March, that I can remember.

BoneheadNW

Yo, probably end of April. I'll probably wait until the last minute to clean up and re-install the deck on the LT.
Bone

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It looks like I'll have peaches blooming and figs leafing out in a couple of weeks here, but I'm a lot further south than most of you guys.
I don't know who you were asking Big Al, if anyone in particular, but I mow with a JD 455 60" deck around the house, and clip the pastures with the bushhog.
From what I've read around here I believe the Kioti is probably too HEAVY for mowing.:thumb:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
It's usually around early May for me down here in South East Michigan. Upnorth it'll be late May, early June. Down here, Jan usually cuts it with 13hp Honda Harmony. Upnorth I usually do it with my LS25 Ford. It's got larger tires than the Honda so I can set it where I don't scalp the rolling terrain. My place down here have more to mow than my 21 acres upnorth! I tend to let nature takeover up there!:tiphat::beer::beer:

Michael

It was unusally warm and wet all thru December in Western Washington and I had to break out the mower 3 weeks ago and mow my yard (2 acres). The horses are keeping the pasture under control for now (3 acres).

The grass is still wet but it had to have the first cutting as it was well over 6 inches high and uneven. After the first mowing we finally got the freezing weather that we did not get in December and it has slowed the grass the down. I am expecting to start doing regular mowing in about 2 weeks in early March.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Glenn9643 said:
It looks like I'll have peaches blooming and figs leafing out in a couple of weeks here, but I'm a lot further south than most of you guys.
I don't know who you were asking Big Al, if anyone in particular, but I mow with a JD 455 60" deck around the house, and clip the pastures with the bushhog.
From what I've read around here I believe the Kioti is probably too HEAVY for mowing.:thumb:

I need a rough cut mower for the pastures on my ranch . I figure a 6' is what I need .
Allen

dzalphakilo

Banned
Well, my last mow was in mid-december. Ground is still too wet as of now, but some of the trees are already budding. Going to pick up an air filter and do an oil change this weekend and will wait.

Since this is the first full year at the new house, not sure when the grass will be coming up, but it is supposed to be in the mid 70's this week:a1:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
I need a rough cut mower for the pastures on my ranch . I figure a 6' is what I need .
Allen

For finish mowers and for rotary cutters I have only one recommendation.
BEFCO

Assuming you want to keep the cutter for as long as you intend to live, Befco is the choice. They are a bit more expensive, but I think they are just built better than the other brands out there.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
John, I would be tearing my hair out if I had to wait till May to mow! Come september I will be wishing I didnt have to :D

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
John, I would be tearing my hair out if I had to wait till May to mow! Come september I will be wishing I didnt have to :D

Jim; It starts in May, but ends in mid Sept. upnorth. Down here it ends Halloween day, whether it wants to or not!!:yum::tiphat::beer::beer:

humor_me

We mow year round here! - How often depends on the moisture we get!
OH, did I mention we wear shorts here in January?:StickOutT

So funny, all these guys start mowing:loser: - in May or so HAHA:moon:
(so what's the point of owning a tractor? :gay: 2 - 3 months of mowing:yum: )

:nopics:

On the other hand, I have no idea what "blowing snow" or "plowing snow" is or why it's done.:bitterCol
Screw that, it's cold out there!:eek:

:1062:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
humor_me said:
On the other hand, I have no idea what "blowing snow" or "plowing snow" is or why it's done.:bitterCol
So we're even ;)

humor_me said:
Screw that, it's cold out there!:eek:
They make clothes for that. But there's laws about how much we can undress when it's hot.

humor_me

bczoom said:
So we're even ;)

They make clothes for that. But there's laws about how much we can undress when it's hot.

Yes, I guess we are even then,
but my grass is greener than yours right now!:whistle:

cj7

MOWING!

I was still scraping snow from the driveway the other day!

Must be nice to be warm!