• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Eight Below

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The family watched Eight Below last night and there was a snow vehicle used in it that was identified genericly (I think) as a Snow Cat. Anyone know what it was? It was towing a similar cab that I'm not sure if it was powered or not?
Looked pretty new/modern.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Think this was it........ Hagglunds .............. Swedish

Attachments

• thag.jpg
    thag.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 369_ul-Hagglund_over-snow.jpg
    369_ul-Hagglund_over-snow.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 296

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I this is what you saw? A Hagglunds BV206.

The BV206 replaced the BV202, which replaced the Snow Trac in the 1970s. The BV202 is pretty common in private ownership now. The 206 is starting to make its way into private ownership over the past decade.

Here is a photo, and a sales brochure (in downloadable PDF format).

Also, take a look at this thread, one of our newer members "alaska741" owns a BV206
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=3484

Attachments

• 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 300
  • Bv206 brochure.pdf
    257.1 KB · Views: 144

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I this is what you saw? A Hagglunds BV206.

The BV206 replaced the BV202, which replaced the Snow Trac in the 1970s. The BV202 is pretty common in private ownership now. The 206 is starting to make its way into private ownership over the past decade.

Here is a photo, and a sales brochure (in downloadable PDF format).

Also, take a look at this thread, one of our newer members "alaska741" owns a BV206
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=3484

Pretty sure you got it, your picture is identical to the vehicles they used in the movie.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe someone who actually knows something about these will see this thread and give some additional information.

Ice Queen is our resident large vehicle collector and has posted some BV202 photos in the past. Tommo actually served in the military and used Snow Tracs and possibly some BV202s? And obviously alaska741 owns a BV206.

I know very little about them. My interest is in personal use tracked vehicles so I really am interested in smaller less complicated vehicles.

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes,

I did use the BV202 and BV206 during my 17 years serving with British Commando's and went to Norway ever year for 3 months to carry out Arctic warfare training. The BV 202 had a 2.5 litre petrol engine which was a nightmare at temps of -53 (The clod temp i have ever been in) as the engines would ice up and run rough etc. at - 30 we would light brass blow lamps to put heat over the engine to stop it from freezing and lessen the starting problems 30 mins before we would move off!
These 202 were made of metal and made the temp inside just as cold as out side. We used to lag the rear articulated cabin with thick felt to try and keep the heat in and lessen the condensation effects inside from breathing and making hot drinks on Coleman multi fuel small stoves 'They were the day's.

We used to try and stop the power steering fluid from leaking all over the place and for ever filling the bloody things up when we stopped and did our vehicle first and last parades before setting of or shutting down. Great joy's when you had thick gloves on and could not feel a thing in your finger tips?

The vehicles could wade to a degree but not like the BV206 which i did a water proofing course on and went into the water up to the bottom of neck along with the Land Rover defender we used at that time. The vehicle was prone to rust around the engine bay, sides, cab area and, well, all over really! We used to fly them under slung from Sikorsky S55 and S61 (Wessex and Sea King) and land them out remote area's well above the tree line and deep in the mountains. Some of the BV202's would tow a 105mm light Howitzer Artillery gun with ammo with the gun on skies, some towed two 'sankey' trailers towed one behind the other! This would test any ones reversing skills, believe me!

The BV 202 was in service right the way into the early 90's before being replaced by the Hagglunds BV206, they come in petrol or Diesel and were like going from a Morris Minor to a Ford Mustang! What a vast difference, Warmth, I could hear the person sat next to me, i had a boiling vessel for hot water permanently going whether the vehicle was running or not, hot air on the button, room in the main cab for 4 persons and room for 8 in the back. No need to find lagging material, in fact you had more problem controlling the heat from the internal radiators and blowing system which was a nightmare when you deployed out side and was hit by - temps when you leave your + temps in the cabs?

The BV 206 was a vast improvement over the aging BV202, they are made of a GRP type composite material and were light for the helicopters to lift and fly for many miles over the mountainous terrain. These vehicles had a 3 litre Diesel Mercedes Benz engine which was awesome and delivered masses of power over the old 202 petrol. I had the pleasure at least twice of rolling a BV202 with full kit and men in Norway! i did not roll a BV206 though! not through trying though i can tell you.

Some of the fun was to be pulled behind the 206 on your skies ('ski oaring'- not sure how you spell that?)attached to a long rope 'Great fun until some one in front of you falls down and then you all end up falling over like domino's!

Back home there are some 202's and 206's have made it on the civilian market and are being used for transporting of 'Guns' on commercial pheasant shoots and Deer stalkers on estates in the Scottish highlands etc.

I will see if i can find all my old photo's of life in the Commando's in Norway and send to the forum for all to see. I just need to find them when i go home in August.

Well that was a quick insight into the BV202 and BV 206 from my perspective and I'm sure some one else will have some stories to tell out there so lets hear them!

That's all folks, pic's to follow when i put my yellow Snow Trac on the forum as well.

alaska741

0004BVyellow.jpg
Hi folks
This is a picture of our BV206. Here is some information about it.
length..... 272 in.
height..... 95 in.
width...... 79 in.
ground clearance .... 14 in.
total weight.... 10800 lbs
ground pressure... 1.5 lbs per sq. in.
max speed ... 32 mph.
This unit is powered by a Mercedes six cylinder diesel that produces 136 brake horse power @4600 RPM
It has a 3 speed allison automatic transmission
Estimated range of fuel is 185 miles.

We run this to a couple of our cabins here in Alaska.
we have operated it in about 4 feet of snow with no problems. Traction is unbelievable cause all 4 tracks drive.

Hope this helps give everyone a little information on these rigs.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ken, how does the BV206 do in light powder snow conditions?

With 1.5 pounds of pressure per square inch, it is actually putting a lot of pressure down on the snow compared to a Snow Master which is about 0.5 p.s.i.

In my snow conditions, I don't have to worry about 'powder snow' since I never get that type of snow. Do you get 'powder snow' in Alaska? Or is that more of an issue in the Rocky Mountains where they get the dry powder that is great for skiing?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Actually bob they do very well in the deep snow on flat ground. Its the inclines in deep snow that kill it. The gas engines were better for the deeper stuff from what I'm told. Also no one has really touched on this but they turned by a huge hydraulic ram in between the two pods. The pods would turn opposite of each other. I once had a gentleman tell me they turned by the tracks like in a conventional snowcat. It wasnt until we actually took ours out and showed him. Then he believed us. I also had someone tell me the pods could seperate and drive off on there own. Nope. Never will happen. I would like to get another one and put an aluminum block Chrysler engine in it. I bet then they would run pretty decent in the real deep stuff. Towing was always the biggest problem. At least here in Nevada you need a commercial license to tow one. One thing for sure. They are one hell of a crowd getherer. You cant go anywhere with out having tons of people swamp you with questions!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
The family watched Eight Below last night and there was a snow vehicle used in it that was identified genericly (I think) as a Snow Cat. Anyone know what it was? It was towing a similar cab that I'm not sure if it was powered or not?
Looked pretty new/modern.

The rear cab is also powered by the engine. Actually they are very simular to a regular 4x4. Intead of tires you have tracks and it turns in the middle. They have a very heavy duty limited slip diff and works very well. Another draw back is the cost of the tracks. Each track sells for $5,000+ new! I have seen them at $2,000 each for very good used tracks. I use to get tracks (complete new surplus sets of 4) for $500. That was before the rage on BV206s came to be. You can still find them cheap if you really shop hard. I think now your best bet would be to import them from Sweden.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I can still get them in Sweden for about $15,000. Cost would be about $2,800 to ship it here. Thanks though. I am waiting for a dead one to show up on Ebay in the mean time.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
SNOW WOLF TRACS said:
IS THERE ANY WAY AT ALL TO OPPERATE ONLY THE FRONT UNIT OF THE BV-206
Sorry Snow Wolf Tracks. They turn by a huge hydraulic ram in between the two pods. The middle is the pivot point. BUT it would be cool!

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Nice footage! That's the new BV 206 which we use with the British Commando's, they call it the Viking. I will visit my old unit and try to dig out some photos of the BV 202, BV206 and the new BV 206 in all the different ways it was used in and some pic's of the Viking!!