• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sharp blades?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Do any of you guys sharpen your own mower blades? When do you junk them out, how do you balance them? I've got two decks that should have the blades sharpened, and hope to do it myself.:confused::tiphat::beer:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
This is how some people balance the blades. I haven't sharpened blades in quite a few years. I just replace them when they get beat up because I am not good at sharpening them. If I take them to the sharpening place, it is about $8.00 a blade and they never seem to cut as well as new ones. New blades are about $18 each, so the trade off for the season is about $30.00... Junk....

Attachments

• MVC-620F.JPG
    MVC-620F.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 44
  • MVC-621F.JPG
    MVC-621F.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 44

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll sharpen mine with a bench grinder and balancing tool. I only do it about twice a year. I should do it more often. I have two sets of blades so I just alternate them.

I'm thinking of trying some Gator mulching blades this year. My lawn is too healthy and grows faster than I can keep it mowed. Which means I get the big clumps. I don't collect the clippings. Too much lawn.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use a belt sander for sharpening then balance it on a 16 penny nail.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
At work we grind them on a bench grinder and use a tool like Junk posted to balance them, at home I use an angle ginder instead of a bench grinder.
Seems to do the trick :D

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Junk, where do you get a little balance thing like that? I've never seen one of those before. Neat little critter!:tiphat::beer:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
That one came from a local hardware store when the owner (a friend) bought out the contents of another very old hardware store. The metal ones are no longer available, but they can be had in plastic. Check with your local True Value or Ace hardware store. If you can't find one, let me know and I will put one in the mail for you. The last time that I checked, he was out of the metal ones, but did have the plastic... Junk......

J.C. Whitney has them for $4.99 plus some exorbitant shipping charge.......

or Northern Tool for $3.89 and a more reasonable shipping charge....

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
John, I can get metal ones for about £5 at work, shipping might kill you though ;)

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks guys, I'll checkout the local hardware stores and see what they have.

An idea!!! :idea:I could buy two of them, so I could be like Bob. Then when I get bored, I could don my kilt, and use the two cone ends under my shirt!! Man, just think of the dogs and cats hauling thru the house then!!!:pat::tiphat::beer:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
johnday said:
I could buy two of them, so I could be like Bob. Then when I get bored, I could don my kilt, and use the two cone ends under my shirt!! Man, just think of the dogs and cats hauling thru the house then

Why just the cone part....use the whole thing and see if you get some "live" action!:D

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
John, I can get metal ones for about £5 at work, shipping might kill you though ;)

Mith, just put a few on ebay with a angle grinder wheel tossed in the deal, list it as the Ultimate Lawn Sharpening System for 15 + shipping. :D