• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

601 rear end

darryl

I am looking for an oc15 differential or something simular for my 62 4t10 trackmaster.I want to convert it over to a 601 rear end and get away from the power divider and duel drive lines because I am putting in a 300 ford engine in it and want to run a c6 auto trans.Does anybody have any of this stuff for sale or know of any dealers that might.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am looking for an oc15 differential or something simular for my 62 4t10 trackmaster.I want to convert it over to a 601 rear end and get away from the power divider and duel drive lines because I am putting in a 300 ford engine in it and want to run a c6 auto trans.Does anybody have any of this stuff for sale or know of any dealers that might.

We currently have several OC12 with the drop down boxes. and one OC15
give us a call if you wish 218-828-7876 :thumb:

socal4t12

im very interested in acquiring your removed parts (dual rear ends and power divider) once your project is complete. let me know.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
SoCALl4t12

I would get rid of the dual rearends and power divider and go with one of Boggies OC-12s! They are 100 times better and you can get parts for them. They are extremely strong (designed for 12' wide tracks) and will last a life time if taken care of. You will have NOTHING but headaches if you keep the original system! Just :my2cents: :myopinion:

socal4t12

thanks,,,,ive thought of that. i currently have the power divider and twin rear end. looking at acquiring extra parts. ive also tossed around the idea of placing the 4t10 cab on a LMC 3700.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree, if it were a choice between the OC15 and the OC12...no question about it...mainly on availability.
However, I will also say that folks have the dual-shaft design running without any problems (I have 2 of 'em!), and I know others in the same situation. So... just depends. Yes, without question more reliable (how much more is in question but it's more about finding people with the knowledge of the dual-shaft design)... but you give up originality and that may be secondary...just depends on the need. But, I will also say that they're in use and still reliable.
But...no matter what, the OC12 is still more reliable. The OC15 is just too hard to find parts for and there's not sufficient difference from what I've gathered. I have a 601 with the OC15. None of them have given me trouble..gulp...yet. ;)

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
SoCALl4t12

I would get rid of the dual rearends and power divider and go with one of Boggies OC-12s! They are 100 times better and you can get parts for them. They are extremely strong (designed for 12' wide tracks) and will last a life time if taken care of. You will have NOTHING but headaches if you keep the original system! Just :my2cents: :myopinion:

How many dual-shaft designs have you come across or interacted with owners on? What % have given their owners headaches? I agree with you about the OC12 but I'm curious about your findings. Again, yes, I agree about the OC12 but I know plenty of instances where the dual shaft is fine but people will replace them because it's hard to find people with experience in how they work, etc... lost art, blah, blah... leading to an updated diff.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
From a long lasting standpoint the OC-12 will win hands down. Parts are available readily. On the twin shaft design parts are scarce at best. Everyone who I have met who owns a twin design hates them since they are usually broke. Now granted these are people who no little to nothing about the design (like myself). No one will work on them that they can find. If they had an OC-12 they would be up and running. Again just from a few weekends a month warrior aspect. Not someone who is passionate and dedicated to that brand of drives. Its also nothing personal. I just believe the OC-12s are 100% better and are ALOT easier to work on. Plus there are plenty available. OF course its just my opinion. If someone wants to go with the twin designs then go for it. BUT if they are broke then swap it out for a more modern version.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The OC15 is just too hard to find parts for and there's not sufficient difference from what I've gathered. I have a 601 with the OC15. None of them have given me trouble..gulp...yet. ;)[/QUOTE]

Mainer, we still can get all the parts for the OC-15 or we make them. just a note .:thumb:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
From a long lasting standpoint the OC-12 will win hands down. Parts are available readily. On the twin shaft design parts are scarce at best. Everyone who I have met who owns a twin design hates them since they are usually broke. Now granted these are people who no little to nothing about the design (like myself). No one will work on them that they can find. If they had an OC-12 they would be up and running. Again just from a few weekends a month warrior aspect. Not someone who is passionate and dedicated to that brand of drives. Its also nothing personal. I just believe the OC-12s are 100% better and are ALOT easier to work on. Plus there are plenty available. OF course its just my opinion. If someone wants to go with the twin designs then go for it. BUT if they are broke then swap it out for a more modern version.

Again, agree on all your points... my point is one of originality and not maintainability. I will also say that the dual-shaft design is not like a model-T either. I know a number of folks that use them for their sole winter transport into risky areas and they do very well. Most of them know their machines from top-to-bottom/inside-out so they trust themselves.

The other day I looked at a "1200C Spryte." Uh-huh... it was a 3700 with a Spryte body on it. Hello! Not even close to original or meeting the criteria of being a 1200C. What, because it has the Spryte tag in it but no corresponding mechanical systems? Wild.

For reliability, no one wants to get stuck in the wilderness, etc... so depends on how a machine will be used.

BUT... It's just annoying to see classic whatever (snow cat, sports car, military vehicle, motorcyle, etc...) stray from original. It decreases the value to a collector but increases the value for day-to-day so it just depends on how a rig is restored. Is it a full-body-off restoration (ie, the beautiful Weatherby work) or is it a 'regular-use' cat? So, if I want reliability of an OC12 then I'll buy a Spryte unless a person is totally addicted to the body style of the Trackmaster (I plead guilty). The cost of buying an OC12 is not cheap by any means. If a person has a friend or can find a super cheap deal then that blows the scale out of the water but normally an OC12 plus the cost of a 4T10 will equate to that of a Spryte with alot less headache of the change. A 'new-old-stock' OC12 will run $8,000. A used one significantly less...maybe $4,000.

I am also certain that the value of a properly restored 'to original' spec is worth more than a 'daily runner'. A friend of mine invested over $100K in a classic car he bought for $8K off eBay. Insane I thought. He sold it for over $200K when everyone was hitting him with 'you dont get out of it what you put in'. Mileage varies...but no matter how odd the market, a buyer can be found with patience.

Anyway, here or there... I agree an OC12 is more reliable, etc.. but I am disappointed to see Trackmasters (or any piece of classic gear) cut up...can't ever go back...not really...not 100% back as original. A person could take it back 'good as original' but not original.

Some folks may care less about original... anything from "Yea, talk to me about original when my rig breaks down and it's -30 and I have no hope of surviving on foot..." Agree. OK, so I wouldn't take a risky cat out...that being a modern cat that has been poorly maintained or an old classic unless it has been very well maintained. It's always wise to have proper emergency process/plans made no matter what..but you get my point.

socal4t12

sorry for starting an uproar, all i wanted we the old parts if they came available. ill still take them, and still restore my cat. thanks for all the input and concern for the forum.
anyone with any old thiokol parts, please contact me.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
sorry for starting an uproar, all i wanted we the old parts if they came available. ill still take them, and still restore my cat. thanks for all the input and concern for the forum.
anyone with any old thiokol parts, please contact me.

No uproar...just casual banter.
From the stuff I've seen thrown around here... we're just walking in the park. The real juice kicks in on the religion between Kristi-owners and the rest of the world. :shitHitFan:

I'll keep you posted on extras and/or other spares I come across. Of course I'll try to keep my hands on all power divider and dual-shaft design bits and pieces. :rolleyes:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
No up roar. Thats just opinions flying around! Mainer is a great guy. I dont care what Boggie says about him. LOL

:tiphat:
Likewise!

(ps...Snow Ops knows I have an certain obligation to stand up for the dual-shaft design because my small fleet is majority-vote dual-shaft old-school design... I keep trying to get him to sell me his stretch for a song but he isn't taking into account the TLC and full restoration it will get ... a good home). :thumb: :beer:

But all I'm really trying to do is generate enough negative buzz about owning any flavor of Trackmaster than Boggie just decides he can't be seen in any such archaic contraption... such low float... so few parts available... a broken history where major mechanicals were updated with a regular diff... Boggie seen driving a lump of aluminum and steel like that?

No, no, no... that can't happen... there have to be bright LED panels...digital dashboards... unhealthy large doses of hydro-fluid powering every track... 0-point turns... Range-Rover style windscreen heating elements... Ice-Sonar for god sake! No, it won't work to have someone else drive... it still leave the same old military stench on the hunting gear in the back as it does in the driver's seat. :)

The rest of us will just take his discards! (please top off the fluids Boggie as you strap down your 601 to send my way). They're particularly 'slumming' for hunting rigs I hear. :nono1:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
:tiphat:
Likewise!

(ps...Snow Ops knows I have an certain obligation to stand up for the dual-shaft design because my small fleet is majority-vote dual-shaft old-school design... I keep trying to get him to sell me his stretch for a song but he isn't taking into account the TLC and full restoration it will get ... a good home). :thumb: :beer:

But all I'm really trying to do is generate enough negative buzz about owning any flavor of Trackmaster than Boggie just decides he can't be seen in any such archaic contraption... such low float... so few parts available... a broken history where major mechanicals were updated with a regular diff... Boggie seen driving a lump of aluminum and steel like that?

No, no, no... that can't happen... there have to be bright LED panels...digital dashboards... unhealthy large doses of hydro-fluid powering every track... 0-point turns... Range-Rover style windscreen heating elements... Ice-Sonar for god sake! No, it won't work to have someone else drive... it still leave the same old military stench on the hunting gear in the back as it does in the driver's seat. :)

The rest of us will just take his discards! (please top off the fluids Boggie as you strap down your 601 to send my way). They're particularly 'slumming' for hunting rigs I hear. :nono1:

Mainer, We just rounded up this 603 for you. allthough I'm not sure you will be intrested in it. because it is not all original. :yum: :yum: See you just have to combine the Bombardier SV301 with the SV302 and you will get a 603 right ? :yum: :yum: :5boobs:

Attachments

• SV302 parts.jpg
    SV302 parts.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 211
  • Old 301 parts.jpg
    Old 301 parts.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 205

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Alright! That's it!

Let's do this once and for all.

I'm going to take my 4T2 out and do a bunch of benchmark tests...top speed, acceleration, hill climb, blah, blah... capture all the twin-shaft performance data we need.

Then Boggie is going to make a charitable company donation of a rock-solid OC12.

Then I'll donate my twin-shaft Thiokol 4T2 for surgery and we'll document every knife wound and turn of the wrench.

Then we'll disect the organs of the twin-shaft design, document thoroughly with photos and write-ups, and then put in a plexiglas box with a video playback of the whole thing on an iPod that is solar powered. We'll do the same with a capsule and send on the Mars lander.

We'll let the aliens decide which they like. ;)

Just for you guys, I am tempted to do the conversion just to close down this argument. I'd shed a tear of losing original tissue. But that means I can have another excuse to go out and buy more original gear!!! ;)

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The real juice kicks in on the religion between Kristi-owners and the rest of the world. :shitHitFan:

How very true . Kristi is a religion :thumb: ! I never thought about it that way .

I can hardly wait to tell Bogus Bob and Mouse Ear Mike that my Kristi is blessed and theirs Snot Tracs are going to hell .....:yum:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh yea! Double dog-dare me and I'll just go hydro all around! :coolshade

ps... speaking of 601's...you guys have probably seen this 601 for sale in AK. It's been for sale for a while. Started at $13,500 now at $11,500 with the trailer. AK 748-6590.

Someone...put this thing out of it's misery and buy it! :pat: Too rich for my blood and too... hunting rigged.

Attachments

• AK601.jpg
    AK601.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 153