• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 601

barber1981

Hey everyone,

I just recently join because i have the opportunity to buy a 1963 Thiokol 601 snowcat. It was bought new by the State of North Dakota, and was used up till 2001 at which point a farmer bought it from them. I have the opportunity to buy the sled from him for the price of $5500.00. It runs, and drives well, but has a couple of small issues that any 1963 machine would have. It is structurally, and mechanically sound, and the tracks seem to be in good shape for the age as well. What do you guy's think. Also any information, or insite on this model would be greatly appreciated as well. I just want to fix it up, and play around with it mostly. I live in the foothills of Colorado so i have plenty of places to use it.

What do you think guys?

Josh

P.S.

This is the only picture i ended up taking of it, but from the looks of the tags that were on the door i'm starting to think that it may have been givin to the state of north dakota by the u.s. Air Force after it was done with service with them. Any insite on this guys?....It also has the origional trailer that goes with it as well. it is wide, and has grooves in the bed to fit the track perfectly. Seems to me that $5500.00 for all if may not be a bad price, but i don't know anything about them. I'm only 25, and have worked on car restorations alot, and wanted to try something different. Let me know what your thoughts are.

snowcat001-1.jpg

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
What the hell are you waiting for! If you dont someone else will real soon. We are starting to get alot of 601 owners here. Lucky for you most of them have done or are in the process of doing frame off restorations. Dont think about it just do it. Thats what I think.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
It has a trailor too!! Man If you dont want it or change your mind call me. I will drive up tomarrow and pay cash for it. Jump on it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Josh, I have to agree that you are looking at a 'steal' for that price. I'd hop on it and have it home before someone else snags it right out from under you.

It would also be very interesting if you could find the history of that unit. The paint is correct for a military unit used by the Air Force, so it probably has some stories to tell, if you can find them.

barber1981

Well it's out of state, and in a good hiding spot where there isn't much snow. Noone there wants it because it never snow's enough. I'm going to go back and buy it if it is as good of a deal as it seems it may be.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
He who hesitates, loses out. Do you want to make a quick 1k, I would bet that someone on the forum would give you a quick 1K to be first in line...:thumb: If I buy anymore snow cats, I will probably be less one wife. :yum:

barber1981

Well for anyone who care's, i'm going to pick it up this weekend, i'll post a few pics, so keep tuned in....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
barber1981 said:
Well for anyone who care's, i'm going to pick it up this weekend, i'll post a few pics, so keep tuned in....
Congrats :applause:

What are your plans for it? Will you be doing a restoration, or some other upgrades?

:weneedpic

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Congrats! And have a safe trip . Make sure the tires and trailer brakes/lights are working well . Do you have to travel in any snow ?? Tire chains for Truck and Trailer ?? Bottle jack for flats and a good 4way lugnut wrench .
I'll leave a light on .
Al

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
barber1981 said:

Looks like you are getting a great deal, congrats. Jump in and post often on your new snowcat. :thumb: :weneedpic

bronco bruce

This machine looks to be in good shape for the year. I suspect it was used by the Air Force before the state of North Dakota picked it up. You did well with the price, especially with the trailer.

I own two 1962 Thiokols, a 10 passenger like the one you bought and an 8 passenger. We've used the 10 passenger several times this winter going into our cabin in NW Colorado and it did very well in 2 - 2.5 ft of snow. We're finally starting to get more snow so we're waiting to see how it performs in 3 - 5 feet of snow.

Good luck with your machine and if the tires aren't foamed I'd recommend doing it ASAP. Also check the lug nuts on the wheels regularly.

Bruce

yellowpine O.T.S.

Dido on all the above JUMP ON IT! Thats a great deal and they only come along once in awhile. There is a lot of snow cat dealers out there that will beet you too it if they can, so wire the money close the deal!

Good luck,KIF

ps. if you ever want to sell it, I will buy it and or if you need help with transport or anything else feel free to call 208-633-9878(YURT)

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
barber1981 Do not buy that machine :smileywac .................... instead give me the phone number of the farmer and we will go look at it for you:rolleyes: ..... by the way what size ball do you think the trailer is............:17875:

Good luck, By the way the differential is worth what you paid for the machine

weatherby

I told ya it was a steal when you first pm. me . I,ve been away for the last five days so as soon as I got home I got on to see if you bought it because I have someone who REALLY wants it if you did not buy it but if that was the case I would be just one of many in a mad race out to N. Dakota to be the first in line .You got a VERY good deal I want to see more pic. when you get it home:applause:

barber1981

Well as you all requested here it is. It made the trip back perfectly, and i've done quite a bit of work on it since these pictures. Cleaned it all up inside....fixed the coolant leak it had, got all the lights, and blinkers working perfectly.....it's amazing that everything actually works...even the old am radio works!....working on putting a kit in the carb., and one of the steering master cylinders needs a kit as well....Anyway's here are some picks...like i said this is what it looked like when i picked it up....it look alot better now....(took those ugly mudflaps off the front)

It drives great too....tracks are in pretty good shape....kind of amazing given the history of it, and how old it is.

Unfortunatly it looks like i won't be able to keep it so i'm going to be selling it after i get everything in good running order (isn't much to do)......I'm getting married this summer, and building a new house all at the same time, and don't have the time, or the money to go to any great length on restoring the old cat. It is actually in pretty good shape anyway's. I don't want to get rid of it, but the timing is all wrong for me. Plus i live in the middle of Fort Collins colorado, and there isn't enough snow here for me to really utilize it.

Let me know what you guy's think of it!

Joshsstuff014Small.jpg

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Barber1981, I think you should sell it to me for what you paid plus gas money. only if you kick in the binders and chains though.

let me know if you are going to sell and when...........

by the way what size ball is that trailer...........

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup boggie right about this Thiokol, it sure lacks potential, but don't sell it to boggie, sell it to me. I can take it off your hands. Heck, I'll even make sure you don't lose too much in the deal.

barber1981

Nice try, but no cigar.......i've already got more money that what i paid into it. Replaced all the hoses, belts, and redid a bunch of wiring.....the trailer i was supose to get with it was home made, and a total piece of crap, and the spindels were broke on top of it. I borrowed the trailer from my place of work along with the binders, and that won't be going with the cat.....but nice try!:thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it sure looks like a great unit for a restoration & interior upgrade. Keep the photos coming so we can watch your progress.

barber1981

My next question is what size of motor does this cat have in it....i know its a ford straight six, but they made several sized...i've hear that the air force models had a 240 cubic in motor. is this true, and where can i get a rebuild kit for the steering master cylinders? And Either a new carb, or a kit for the one that is on it. Anyone have any idea's?

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Could also be a 223 if it's an older one. 300 six has the carburator on the right side of the engine. I am trying to figure out which serial number was the break over point for engine size.

crafttree

I have the chance to purchase a snow cat in good running condition for $6000. The only ID the machine has on it is snow craft industries. This snocat looks like a thiokol 601. Not sure what it is.I could not find any info on the internet on snowcraft industries of colorado. Any comments on price or what I am looking at would help. Thanks

Attachments

• STA_1371.jpg
    STA_1371.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 343

weatherby

I have the chance to purchase a snow cat in good running condition for $6000. The only ID the machine has on it is snow craft industries. This snocat looks like a thiokol 601. Not sure what it is.I could not find any info on the internet on snowcraft industries of colorado. Any comments on price or what I am looking at would help. Thanks

What you are looking at is a Thiokol 601 and it looks like a 1963, it should have a ford 223ci gas motor. 4 speed trans. $6000.00 could be a good price "if" tracks, motor, and trans. are in descent shape. I have a thread on restoring one of these 601s on the Snowcat Restoration & Modification page, then go to page 2 and it is Titled THIOKOL 601 RESTORE

crafttree

Thanks for the reply, after looking into the snocat a little more I am told it has a ford 6cly motor and auto transmission. So it looks like it was upgraded along the way at some point.