• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier ring and pinion

NorthernJ5

Hi Pixie, here are a couple of pics of the diff and its workings. WARNING, these Diffs are timed!!!! Meaning the sunshine and planetary gears have timing dots on them. If not in time correctly it will turn and bind, and in turn will take out axle gears and sunshine gears, basically destroying the whole diff.

Attachments

• Diff.jpg
    Diff.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,009
  • Diff2.jpg
    Diff2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,600

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the excellent exploded view, NorthernJ5 :thumb: And welcome to this Forum.

My 'manual' is a copy of a copy, and on and on, and is very hard to see. I read somewhere about the timed planetary gears. They look OK and the ring and pinion aren't all that bad. I'm really hoping that replacing the accessable pinion shaft bearing will be enough to keep this rolling for a couple of years.
Of course, "hoping" hasn't gotten me very far yet .... :pat: ......

J5Bombardier, The brake bands on 79bombi's machine do look different....a little more heavy duty, maybe ?

I got a price to reline mine of $275. How's that sound ?

J5 Bombardier

Hi Pixie
I never had to get my bands relined, you might want to get another price . There isn't much more than 3 feet of lining in total on both of them plus the rivets. I'm going to call the rebuild shop near work next week and see what they say.
J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

harkat34

I find your message very interesting. I a a mechanic in northern Manitoba and we have a J5 Bombardier in the shop that looks like the one you are showing. We are going t fix the differential and pinion in it and I was looking for hints on doing this. If you have any shortcuts on getting the axle out I would appreciate them.
Bob in The Pas, Manitoba.:confused2:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Hello, Harkat34 and welcome to this forum !!!

To remove the drive axle, undo all the bolts around the cone shaped support and it pulls right out in one piece.

I took my J5 to a real welder. He has the differential out and has cut the front bogey axle out. Since the rear bogey axle is an inch longer on each side, we plan on making the new front axle the same length. The drive sprocket has a spring in it that allows it to move outward. When reassembled, the tires' centerline will be the sprocket centerline also.

The new diff housing will be 1/4" plate and be welded to the 5/16" plate that someone in the past added to the tub sides and bottom. The whole diff housing will be replaced.

The diff was to the right.

Attachments

• pixTedFAOUTcockpitOP.jpg
    pixTedFAOUTcockpitOP.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,918

J5 Bombardier

Pixie :
Easy on the torch or your J5 might look like this!

J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

Attachments

• 01-27-2007 06;24;30PM.JPG
    01-27-2007 06;24;30PM.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,381

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I sure hope mine stays in one piece :eek:

You did a major job, J5Bombardier :thumb:

Bob Cantin

Well, if my memory serves me correct, the early J-5's, and the muskeg tractors (M-5) used 1939 Ford 3-ton crown and pinions in the diffs. In the 60's we bought up several NOS Ford crown and pinions and replaced our damaged units in our Bombardier lease tractors, as the same units from Ford were about 3 times the price---Bob C

aulen2002

Found something I thought was odd on my j5. The 1/4" bottom plate of the Diff extends back past to the front bogey axle. The floor pan extends past the axle to the diff. There is a small gap between the two (1/8"?) that is open to the diff & is filled with gear oil. This is the same area partially cut out here. It's as if there's a weld missing inside the diff mounting flange.

The j5 I bought had a hole drilled under the foot rest, and had a bolt in it. When I removed the bole to drain some water that had collected out came the oil. Is this supposed to be this way, or is it an indication of an issue with the diff?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Found something I thought was odd on my j5. The 1/4" bottom plate of the Diff extends back past to the front bogey axle. The floor pan extends past the axle to the diff. There is a small gap between the two (1/8"?) that is open to the diff & is filled with gear oil. This is the same area partially cut out here. It's as if there's a weld missing inside the diff mounting flange.

The j5 I bought had a hole drilled under the foot rest, and had a bolt in it. When I removed the bole to drain some water that had collected out came the oil. Is this supposed to be this way, or is it an indication of an issue with the diff?

Have never seen that on any of the J-5's we have or ever worked on I think you have a leak.

J5 Bombardier

When they put a new skin over the old hull did they end up with a gap between the two hulls and the old hull is weeping diff oil into the space
J5 Bombardier

aulen2002

When they put a new skin over the old hull did they end up with a gap between the two hulls and the old hull is weeping diff oil into the space
J5 Bombardier

I think (essentially). The heavy outer plate looks original though. I did have a look at a buddy's parts muskeg last night. It had a thin diff/hull with two smaller partial 1/4" plates on the front.

My 1/4" plate does appear to have been "beaten down" where I assume the crown gear is (for clearance?) Possible place for damage. Guess i'll be pulling the cab and gas tank and having a look. Worst case I plug the holes and have a larger fluid reservoir! :ermm: