• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First Common Core House built

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
too funny but probably true.

Attachments

• FirstCommonCoreHouse.jpg
    FirstCommonCoreHouse.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 443

Leni

Re: Toons for the Times II

What the heck is common core math? It seems that every time I turn around there is another way to do math but they keep coming back to the old fashioned one that makes sense.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Common core is the most complicated non logical way to do math that is being forced on educators by other educators with the help of our government. From what I've seen of it it will ensure we raise a generation of kids who can't count change or do anything on their own with math. :bonk: :bonk:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

in school I was told we were switching to metric and it never happened.

Kane

Common core is the most complicated non logical way to do math that is being forced on educators by other educators with the help of our government. From what I've seen of it it will ensure we raise a generation of kids who can't count change or do anything on their own with math. :bonk: :bonk:

What puzzles me is that Jeb Bush is all gung ho for Common Core. WTF? This will be a non-starter during the primaries, as he's too deep into it to flip flop.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter

Yep, I remember that. :bonk:

Actually, per the Mendenhall Order, the official U.S. standard for weights and measures already is the metric system. Oh,
and just to set the record straight, the Mendenhall Order was issued in 1893!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Actually, per the Mendenhall Order, the official U.S. standard for weights and measures already is the metric system. Oh,
and just to set the record straight, the Mendenhall Order was issued in 1893!

I have no doubt you are right DS, but while in school we learned what I'll call standard measurement, inches, foot, yard mile etc etc.
In the 70;s sometime they also started teaching metric, where before it was never mentioned. So no matter who did what in 1893, it did not take then, and it sure has not taken over now.

I'll move these comments to a new thread so we can discuss more common core and whatever else comes along.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Metric is so simple. I use it all the time.

It is IMHO untill you get into machining machine parts. There I find it is cumbersome, when in 1/10ths of milimeters. In the really small end of measurements, I still like 1/10th of an inch...

Other wise yes..

Regards, Kirk

Dmorency

GOLD Site Supporter
Stupid metric system! I use it because I have to, but I don't like it. I like using inches and fractions better than meters etc.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I like to use both. When weighing I use standard. When measuring height or length I also use standard. For tools I keep both metric and standard in my box. For distance I use metric. Same for speed.

Then there's the old debate on celsius vs Fahrenheit. Sorry. But I grew up using 0 celsius as the freezing point. Anything below and it freezes. Anything above and you're good to go.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, the metric system is simple, it's just remembering all the conversions that's tough.
Mike

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

When I was in school, I was taught not to count on your fingers. Common Core seems to be the opposite.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, the metric system is simple, it's just remembering all the conversions that's tough.
Mike
25.4 and .03937. I worked with metric a lot when we built vehicles for the IDF and later when I machined platens for Engel injection presses. It is really quite simple once you use it a bit.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
:yum: all these years Ive been getting along with " a smig more and a smig less" and a tad higher and a tad lower..........and "just about right" with horses ya use hands.....with distance ya use feet....with gals ya have two hands full...ya got enough!!!! and a stinging face tells ya ..ya got the wrong one!!!!! :yum: Life is good!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a sample of common core math. Maybe the house builders from the OP could explain it to us. :confused:

Attachments

• CommonCore.jpg
    CommonCore.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 170

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum: all these years Ive been getting along with " a smig more and a smig less" and a tad higher and a tad lower..........and "just about right" with horses ya use hands.....with distance ya use feet....with gals ya have two hands full...ya got enough!!!! and a stinging face tells ya ..ya got the wrong one!!!!! :yum: Life is good!!!
along with a smig more you forgot a certain kind of hair commonly refered to as a mechanics unit of measurement.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep...I have used that unit of measure quite often....although Mom complains when I ask for one for reference in the shop!!!!!!

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
along with a smig more you forgot a certain kind of hair commonly refered to as a mechanics unit of measurement.
For very fine tolerances (.0001 and closer), you need a collection of red ones for reference.:brows: Now if she would just cooperate...

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
That makes no sense to me whatsoever. How in the hell did anyone come up with that? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. No wonder kids today are growing up stupid and can't even make change without a calculator. I would be too if the nuns back in the day taught us that bullshit.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That makes no sense to me whatsoever. How in the hell did anyone come up with that? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. No wonder kids today are growing up stupid and can't even make change without a calculator. I would be too if the nuns back in the day taught us that bullshit.

Want an example? My daughters were told about multiplication. They were EXPECTED to know the multiplication tables the next day! They spent zero time on them in class. I taught them to them at home, and we practiced with flash cards, till they had it right.

Teachers don't like it much either. Most of their classes that semester went on to higher math without a clue...:ermm:

Regards, Kirk

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
With the libtards in charge, it's no wonder the Japs & Chi-Comms kids are smarter than ours. I'm sure they are laughing out loud at this bullshit, knowing that the competition in the brain department is gone.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Exactly. IMHO the biggest culprit is that awful NEA. When someone needs a calculator to make change from the point of sale, something is terribly wrong. Very few kids today can do that. Something is terribly wrong.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter

What the heck is common core math? It seems that every time I turn around there is another way to do math but they keep coming back to the old fashioned one that makes sense.

Common Core is a form of indoctrination to replace education.

Bill Gates owns about 80% of the Common Core Copyright.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

Common Core is a form of indoctrination to replace education.

Bill Gates owns about 80% of the Common Core Copyright.

I did not know that. Interesting. His Operating systems are crap so his Common Core bullshit should be no better.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Schools will need his software. You see where this is going.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
A bunch of us Tea Party people went to the Iowa governor's office to talk about Common Core. Gov. Branstad didn't budge in his views even though he knows we are right. Below is a picture of the governor, me and the ladies who were there.

Gov meeting July2014.jpg