• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hydrostatic Newbie-System Flush

Fritzhaus

I just picked up a Lite-Foot (Pistenbully Scout) snowcat. It has the following components.

• Sauer series 90 pump
  • Volvo F11 final drive
  • Auburn Gear hubs
The previous owner used it for cabin access and put a whopping 30 hours on it over 8-9 year. The fluid in it has 30 hours on it, but it's old. Current fluid is Chevron AW-32. Because it's so old, I'd like to flush and replace with ATF type F.

I'm not a mechanical retard (lots of experience rebuilding motos), but I've never worked on hydrostatic systems, so I'm looking for insight.

Here's what I think one would do to flush the system.

1. Drain reservoir
  2. Drain pump
  3. Drain hoses at final drives
Refill process.

1. Keep everything clean!
  2. Replace both filters
  3. Fill pump at upper access
  4. Fill reservoir
  5. Turn motor over with coil removed (30 sec)
  6. Repeat above step and check reservoir level
  7. Keep pressure gauge attached to M3 port, repeat above steps until spec'd pressure is obtained.
  8. Check reservoir level, fill as needed.
  9. Start engine, slowly cycle drives forward/backward for several minutes to remove air.
  10. Recheck reservoir level.
Thanks for any and all advice.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
To me oil doesn't get old. It's already old. I would have a lab do a analysis of a sample before going to all the trouble. I realize what your thinking, as oil is cheap...I started a diesel engine with 14 year old fuel in it not so long ago and still haven't changed the more than 14 year old oil in the hydro stat for the ground drive. It was stored inside BTW...

If the fiters are doing the job, and there is no water in the system, I would be temped to let it go until the regular service interval. JMHO...

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

Fritzhaus

To me oil doesn't get old. It's already old. I would have a lab do a analysis of a sample before going to all the trouble. I realize what your thinking, as oil is cheap...I started a diesel engine with 14 year old fuel in it not so long ago and still haven't changed the more than 14 year old oil in the hydro stat for the ground drive. It was stored inside BTW...

If the fiters are adiquite, and there is no water in the system, I would be temped to let it go until the regular service interval. JMHO...

Regards, Kirk

Other stuff I've read says the same. Pay for the analysis first.

I'm neurotic when it comes to maintenance on my other vehicles, and if I screw this one up, it's pretty damn expensive.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Other stuff I've read says the same. Pay for the analysis first.

I'm neurotic when it comes to maintenance on my other vehicles, and if I screw this one up, it's pretty damn expensive.

Yea especially toys that could not only leave you stranded but also embarrassed in a major way as well....:sad:

Run it a good bit to warm and stir the oil and take a sample of the tank and get it tested. Caterpillar dealers do this at about $25 per. My bet is that it's just fine.

Hope we all get some good snow,:clap:

Kirk

Fritzhaus

Yea especially toys that could not only leave you stranded but also embarrassed in a major way as well....:sad:

Run it a good bit to warm and stir the oil and take a sample of the tank and get it tested. Caterpillar dealers do this at about $25 per. My bet is that it's just fine.

Hope we all get some good snow,:clap:

Kirk

Well, being stranded isn't a concern. I always have my backcountry skis with me, so no biggie. Plus, the cat is so damn big, it's like an small hut!

Anyway, thanks again, I'll do the test first.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if i were to change the oil it wouldn't be to atf i would use a synthetic oil like chevron clarity we run that in all of our equipment up here and it works good in the cold. as for the need to change i second kirks advice with juce drive tehre is a lot of oil it will be expensive and you would be well suited to have a sample anylized and change it when the lab tells you to.

Fritzhaus

Thanks for the replies.

Right now it has Chevron AW 32 in it.

I've called Pistenbully and Prinoth, and both have given me multiple different suggestions for fluids. Then on the other snowcat forum, a guy with 30 years experience highly suggests ATF-F.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the lubritcity of atf is lacking also if has a wet disc additive package atf belongs no place but in a transmission and not in engines or hydraulics you may also run into problems with seal compatibility with the detergents that are added

Fritzhaus

if i were to change the oil it wouldn't be to atf i would use a synthetic oil like chevron clarity we run that in all of our equipment up here and it works good in the cold. as for the need to change i second kirks advice with juce drive tehre is a lot of oil it will be expensive and you would be well suited to have a sample anylized and change it when the lab tells you to.

I checked the specs on the Chevron AW 32 and the Clarity. The pour point, viscosity, etc, are all very similar.

Fritzhaus

This is from Sauer-Danfoss.
Picture1-16.png

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
another synthetic fluid i have been using from another compaany i work for is amzoil both fluids have worked much better than conventional oils in extreem cold

dieseldr

I would be inclined to use ATF type A, since type F is tough to find in my area. Maybe you have a stockpile of type F, so use it. Looks like the oil spec sheet is acceptable to it so go ahead.