• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New to Me Cushman Trackster

Sierra M37

Picked this puppy up for $200 yesterday up near Burney, CA. Former Burney SAR machine, picked up by a local who passed on the family gave it a neighbor. This guy was going to just take it to the dumps but figured he'd try and post his first ever for sale item on the net. I called him 10 minutes after his Craigslist post and bang, it must have been meant to be.

Compression test looks good at 100 and 110. Need's a new CDI or I may convert to HEI. Perfect for our cabin up on Donner Pass to haul supplies and the sleigh.

Attachments

• 20170714_075713.jpg
    20170714_075713.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 880

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
NICE!

I've never seen one with a cab like that (or any other type of nice cab). Are you planning to do any comfort upgrades or just get it running good and use it as a workhorse to haul supplies to your cabin?

Sierra M37

That remains to be seen. First priority is to get it to run and be reliable. If I get to that point, it may be worthy of a track replacement and that's gonna run close to $2K. Then I'll consider a 4 stroke upgrade as I know the 2 stroke is noisy as hell and finicky. I'd like to let the (weekend) renters use it in the winter but it has to be bulletproof.

If I get it running without a lot of time and effort, I'll have to see how it handles the snow @ 6,200' in the Sierra's. I think I can get one test season out of the existing tracks and make sure it's worth it. For a utility snow vehicle, it's perfect for running supplies and wood in the winter and beating a path for the renters.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You did real well at 200$ check out my thread and vintage bikes. Few others . Cool toy but it's a toy.

Not a powder machine. Fun on packed groomed. Real loud. Stock omc problematic ignition parts.

Sierra M37

The serial/Model number on this machine is 344014 and 898000-7410 and it has the later 29HP motor. I'm at the point where I need to replace the CDI to get it running and determine if I want to restore it or just sell it.

Has anyone swapped for HEI ignition on the OEM motor?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The serial/Model number on this machine is 344014 and 898000-7410 and it has the later 29HP motor. I'm at the point where I need to replace the CDI to get it running and determine if I want to restore it or just sell it.

Has anyone swapped for HEI ignition on the OEM motor?

Your better off going to a fourstroke here is one looks like yours we did new tracks new engine tinted window

We have done several 24 Honda, 29 HP liquid , 27hp Kohler have a couple with the original motors also unrestored at this point

Attachments

• IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 659

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We call this one the Cush-kaw-Bom
29hp Kawasaki engine
Bombardier one man cab

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 659

vintagebike

check the points

before you try finding another CDI check to make sure the points go from o to infinite ohms. they are much more likely to be the problem. the points are controlled by a little sprocket like thing that is also easily broken when the flywheel is removed and re-installed. Good luck.:whistling:

OldShopTeacher

I had one too and enjoyed it but decided to upgrade to a Snow-Trac. Our trackster had a 24HP Honda and ran well but was slow. Plus being short coupled with not much for a suspension it was rough riding. Enjoyed picking up my daughter from the school bus at the end of our long driveway in the snow and the heat from the engine was enough to warm up the cab.

C:\Users\Rick\Pictures\Dad's Albums\Snow Machines\Snow and snow cat

Last edited:

clairpierce

I built one a few years ago. I really liked it. I put a 24hp honda in it . It had the fiberglass hard cab. great for cabin access. It was slow, about 10mph tops. It did ok in snow--little better than a Ranger with tracks but not like a wide track cat. Just my 2cents worth Clair

Oldtimer

Picked this puppy up for $200 yesterday up near Burney, CA. Former Burney SAR machine, picked up by a local who passed on the family gave it a neighbor. This guy was going to just take it to the dumps but figured he'd try and post his first ever for sale item on the net. I called him 10 minutes after his Craigslist post and bang, it must have been meant to be.

Compression test looks good at 100 and 110. Need's a new CDI or I may convert to HEI. Perfect for our cabin up on Donner Pass to haul supplies and the sleigh.

Oldtimer

Hey guys, I'm new to site. I have a trackster that's in good shape. I converted it over to coil ignition several years ago. I've seen mention of converting them to electronic ignition. I don't know what product will work for the conversion. If anyone has done this or is knowledgeable on it please let me know what will work best. Thanks