• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Blasting with no dust !

vintagebike

I have a guy from Emmett Idaho coming up to McCall in a few weeks with that system to do a test and hopefully then a full blast on a 1958 Trackmaster 4VL. McCall 2017

vintagebike

My blaster guy puts down a throw-away plastic tarp a few feet beyond the job.
Allows the media/paint/rust mix to dry out a bit then rolls it all up for the dump. No hazmat problem so far. McCall 2017

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have cleaned with dry ice several times. it is dry but the dirt is all over.

I have been looking for a DIY dry ice system. That process seems the cleanest and less damaging of all the systems I have seen. The system in this thread is very close but like my buddy says anytime you use water in blasting the steel is already starting to rust by the time you finish.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the stuff I did with dry ice took all the grease off and it was clean until the airborne grease settled. the area we did was inside and an exhaust fan was needed.
I don't think it would work on blasting a car down to metal.

I have no first hand experience and have only watched you tubes but here is one stripping a car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9nITRz--0

What got me interested in dry ice is using it on airplanes. It is suppose to not damage the thin aluminum by stretching it during blasting, you don't have to tape off rubber and chrome as it is not suppose to damage it and it leaves no residue or abrasive material that can get between the overlapping skins and cause other problems.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the dry ice blaster I wonder what the dry ice for a complete machine would run? And how effective it would be as far as heavy removal? And speed?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Don't know about heavy removal but it did a square foot of the Chevy in 14 seconds.
Mike