• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Evolution Of Parking Area From Snow Cats To Tracked 4X4's

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
[FONT=&quot]I have been working with full size tracked 4X4’s for several years. The popularity is growing in leaps and bounds. Hundreds of sets of tracks are being fabricated and sold each winter.

The remote parking area I use for my mountain cabin access 6 years ago was snow cat territory with about 12 or more snow cats. Today there are only about 2 snow cats left in the parking area with about 12+ tracked 4X4 vehicles as replacements. Most of the ones I work with are for cabin/remote home access but we do have search and rescue, cell tower access, law enforcement, fire department, ranch use, hunters, trappers and some back country skiing now using tracked 4X4 vehicles in the west.

I took this pic last week of four of the tracked 4X4's resting in a row after a weekend of hauling families and supplies to their cabins for a good time.
20160214_103456_resized.jpg

20160214_103531_resized.jpg

[/FONT]

Pretty cool. I can see the advantages especially if you are on a snow covered road and it remains more or less packed and not drifted or wind blown. Real deep dump of snow or any serious bush whacking then I think I would prefer a snowcat. If I lived off road up here I would have one of each.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Tracked 4X4's are not snow cats but are pretty amazing in their ability to provide necessary transportation for a very reasonable cost.

The little Suzuki in the pics weighs in at under 3,000 lbs with the tracks installed. The tracks provide 2880 square inches of surface area on the snow. It is pretty amazing the capabilities of some of these tracked vehicles when set up with the right tracks, lift and locking differentials.
IMG_20150307_110440.jpg

IMG_20150307_110511.jpg

IMG_20150307_110458.jpg

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
This Jeep is used by an elderly couple who live very remote on their family homestead in central WY. In the past during winter their Tucker snow cat was the only way to get out to re supply during the winter without plowing for hours maybe days. The father and his son set up this Jeep to assist the couple in being able to get out faster and resupply the homestead in a more cost effective vehicle. They often have drifts, wind blown snow and then maybe gravel with no snow as the wind clears the ground. The Jeep has been a blessing for them allowing them to get out more often and in a faster easier way when the need arises.
Robert Fischer 225.jpg

Robert Fischer 237.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm curious, what is the ballpark price to turn a truck into a tracked vehicle?

When I'm plowing I often guess wrong at where my driveway is. So I tear up yard. How do you guys ensure you stay on the road, or does it matter since you are just driving on top of the snow?

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
What kind of speed are these tracked machines capable maintaining? They would seem to be a great solution for a lot of people.

I had my tracker out the other day ----took my gps with me----30 down the road-----18 in a field ----and I can tell you from years of grooming for the club ----and playing with every kind of cat----new and old----average 5 mph.-----heres another thought on an atv or utv----you cut your speed in half or more-----atv and utv belt driven and clutches are tq . sencing -----gear driven u don't loose as much---------here is another thought (I said this at pb school----they thought I was nuts and had to try it at lunch break) when u drive anything on tracks----they stop on the bottom---lol ----think

Attachments

• new tracker----yellow 009.jpg
    new tracker----yellow 009.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 708

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
What kind of speed are these tracked machines capable maintaining? They would seem to be a great solution for a lot of people.

The gear reduction using most track systems is about a 1/3 reduction. Basically 50mph on the speedometer is about 33mph actual speed. I have run at 30 to 35 mph (50 to 55 on speedo) on good snow conditions where you do not have a lot of drifts and bumps. The speed of a tracked 4X4 vehicle is dependent upon the snow conditions you are operating in along with the depth of the snow which requires more power as the tracks sink into the snow.

I have run at about 40+mph on pavement. Since this is not a balanced system like tires you do get some vibs starting to set up in the steering system as your speeds increase. Snow is a good shock absorber or steering stabilizer to lessen the steering vibs compared to the hard pavement but they still exist to a lesser degree in snow.

My wife usually drives ours into the cabin and she averages depending on snow conditions in the 15 maybe 25 mph range on the wider good smoother roads to maybe 5 to 15 mph when we get on the rougher two track portion for the final leg of the road to the cabin.

I do know when I ride the snow machine in to the cabin she is right behind me. I keep asking her how fast she is going and she just smiles and says non of my business.....:biggrin:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had my tracker out the other day ....
These tracks seem to only make it sit a little higher than a normal set of tires.

This Jeep is used by an elderly couple who live very remote on their family homestead in central WY. ....
These tracks seem to really lift the Jeep, as if it was jacked up on 30" tires with a lift kit.

What are the advantages to the lower style tracks?

What are the advantages to the higher style tracks?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm curious, what is the ballpark price to turn a truck into a tracked vehicle?

When I'm plowing I often guess wrong at where my driveway is. So I tear up yard. How do you guys ensure you stay on the road, or does it matter since you are just driving on top of the snow?

Track prices are dependent up the vehicle model, wheel bolt pattern and the type of usage requirements that the vehicle owner desires. I get good info on each owners vehicle, type of use such as terrain, snow conditions and miles to be driven annually. I use this info to recommend a track system or recommend a snow cat instead to satisfy their needs. Track systems are built in short and long versions. There are other options such as ice studs, different tracks and other components to customize it to the customer needs for their particular use. Base prices start in the 4K range for ATV/UTV and go up from there for the side by sides. Base prices for full size 4X4 vehicle start at about 9K.

Tracked 4X4 are very capable snow vehicles without being on a road or trail. Most users will build a snow road when traveling the same area often. In the open large meadow areas I often put bright painted lathe/pole markers in the snow to show the snow trail/road so you can see where you are going which is a visual cue in your line of sight in white out conditions. We often get wind with blowing snow creating almost total white out conditions in the mountains so the visual cue helps you stay on the road/trail or at least close to it. Years ago I went in a circle several times in a white out in my snow cat and did not realize it until I opened the door looked at the snow and seen my tracks beside me again. When you cannot see 5 foot in front of you it is best to stop and reconsider if you really need to be there today?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
These tracks seem to only make it sit a little higher than a normal set of tires.

These tracks seem to really lift the Jeep, as if it was jacked up on 30" tires with a lift kit.

What are the advantages to the lower style tracks?

What are the advantages to the higher style tracks?

Lower to the ground track advantages:
1. Wife's slip does not show when dressed for church as she gets in and out of the vehicle.
2. Can handle curves at higher speeds with sports car characteristics.
3. Loading and unloading the groceries is a much easier task.
4. Kids in and out of car seats is simpler and faster no ladder required.
5. Much more handicap accessible and can park in those special spaces.
6. Does not need a lot of tree clearance from above and no problem with those nasty low clearance bridges.

I will let topwelder finish this list....:whistling:

Higher lifted style track advantages:
1. As with any snow vehicle you want to let the snow pass underneath, between the tracks and not be pushing it in front of you. Why are Tuckers also so tall and hard to get in and out of? Basically you have much less chance of being stuck from being high centered on the snow which can happen even in snow cats. Been there done that also.

2. Eliminates those who you do not want to ride along as you can always say you forgot the passenger loading step ladder.
3. Taller clearance will help to keep snow from blocking the radiator and coming over the hood to blind you like a white out until you find that "special soft spot" that you sink to your roof top and the wipers no longer help.
4. Low bridges maybe an obstacle but you can crawl around them and across the rail road tracks if needed and not fear being high centered.
5. Low hanging tree branches can be reached out of the window as you travel for firewood you will want later.
6. You can never lose it in the Walmart parking lot as it stands much taller than the rest of the little mini vans/SUV soccer mom vehicles in the lot. And I will guarantee all the soccer dads are standing around it while admiring it in hopes of catching a ride with you.

On the serious side look at the blue Suzuki pics, specs posted above and then compare that in specs to a Tucker. It is almost track from one end to the other and has great snow flotation. Baby blue almost a Tucker?:w00t2:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The cabin owners parking area on the mountain continues to evolve with more tracked vehicles appearing this year.

Another snow cat was sold and the owner has purchased a set of Track N Go for his Jeep Grand Cherokee. I think the weight of 375 pounds per wheel pod is going to be hard on the Jeep. The drive system of the tires powering the tracks requires special tires per the manufacturer. I have read that the tires can be a problem as you are using the sidewall to turn the tracks in the pod system and is hard on the sidewall of the tires. I hope they live up to their 26K price. I could of sold him 2 and half sets of pod tracks for that price. It will be interesting to see how well they work or do not work in our snow conditions.

Jeeps were the vehicle of choice for most track systems this year. We have 4 new systems with three mounted on Jeeps this year and a Blazer S10 being set up this month. The owners have done a great job of decking out the Jeeps with lifts, winches and other accessories. Attached are some pics of new ones.
Camino Jeep 1.jpg

Camino Jeep 2_Ink_LI.jpg

Markovsky Jeep.jpg

Matt Rabel.jpg

Matt Rable 2.jpg

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Is it possible to switch back to tires for summer use,or too much of a hassle?

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Simple bolt on installation is quick and easy. In most cases our tracks install in less than one hour with no other modifications necessary to the vehicle. Tracks may be removed just as easily restoring the vehicle to its original state. [/FONT]

HankScorpio

Tracked 4X4's are not snow cats but are pretty amazing in their ability to provide necessary transportation for a very reasonable cost.

The little Suzuki in the pics weighs in at under 3,000 lbs with the tracks installed. The tracks provide 2880 square inches of surface area on the snow. It is pretty amazing the capabilities of some of these tracked vehicles when set up with the right tracks, lift and locking differentials.

What are people using for a locker? Selectable or just a lock right or detroit style? I would be worried about breaking shafts on light duty axles with all that traction. I am sure driving style has a lot to do with breakage. I like the roughly 1 lb per square/in ground pressure of the Suzuki. Pretty cool.