• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ST4 Temp sensor

Crackingday

Hi All

I have an ex RN Snowtrac. its had a new engine at some stage. While messing about with it i found a what looked like a dipstick with a wire on it. I took the dipstick out and stuck the "probe" in the hole. Temp gauge fired up. Is this correct and the dipstick was just in there to confuse me. Ive put the stick somewhere safe.

Cheers

Andy x

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Andy, welcome to the wonderful world of Snow Tracs!

Pictures of the hole where you placed the probe might help us.

Is it a VW engine?

If it was repowered with a VW engine then your best bet would be to buy the book HOW TO KEEP YOUR VW ALIVE. It is the bible on VW maintenance and operation and VW parts are used throughout the Snow Trac.

LINK TO BOOK ON AMAZON => [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101"]How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot: John Muir, Tosh Gregg, Peter Aschwanden: 9781566913102: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi All

I have an ex RN Snowtrac. its had a new engine at some stage. While messing about with it i found a what looked like a dipstick with a wire on it. I took the dipstick out and stuck the "probe" in the hole. Temp gauge fired up. Is this correct and the dipstick was just in there to confuse me. Ive put the stick somewhere safe.

Cheers

Andy x

OH MY! you actually have the OEM version. Wow! read the "it's a surprise" Jim mentioned. But yes, that is the original probe.

Crackingday

I'll take some photos, as soon as i stuck it in the hole the gauge worked so I assumed it was correct, just wanted to check. Here she is and I love her!

attachment.php

Crackingday

Also i have read that its wise to make some extra cooling holes in the belly pan. When i looked at this, there is a large 12" hole cut in line with the oil sump plug, is this normal and will it mean i don't have to do the extra holes?

The other things i need to do is recon the fuel tank as its rusty inside, find the lamp guards or make some and sort a rear door. I also need to repair hoodsticks.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That hole in the belly pan is normal factory cut...

The extra holes should be silver dollar sized, 4 of them directly under the muffler in front of the engine acrss the front of the belly pan. These are to let heat out that comes off of the exhaust system. They do seem to work.

Does your machine still have the tin work in front of the engine? If it does, it's kinda hard to see the muffler from the top. There is also a piece that sticks up and blocks the engine from the wind if you are driving straight into it. Very god thing to have in a heavy snow/wind as it keeps the inginition dry.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm74/300HandH/SnowTraclastrun3-11006.jpg

I made the front tin work from the pics in the parts book out of aluminum. The idea is that the heat should leave the engine bay out the lower front of the grill, while not letting it back into the the engine bay through the grill above the lower front tin work. Your fan will blow it forward BTW. It will also want to puch it out those silver dollar sized holes under the muffler...

Regards, Kirk

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That hole in the belly pan is normal factory cut...

The extra holes should be silver dollar sized, 4 of them directly under the muffler in front of the engine across the front of the belly pan. These are to let heat out that comes off of the exhaust system. They do seem to work.

Does your machine still have the tin work in front of the engine? If it does, it's kinda hard to see the muffler from the top. There is also a piece that sticks up and blocks the engine from the wind if you are driving straight into it. Very god thing to have in a heavy snow/wind as it keeps the inginition dry.

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/300HandH/media/SnowTraclastrun3-11006.jpg.html

I made the front tin work from the pics in the parts book out of aluminum. The idea is that the heat should leave the engine bay out the lower front of the grill, while not letting it back into the the engine bay through the grill above the lower front tin work. Your fan will blow it forward BTW. It will also want to push it out those silver dollar sized holes under the muffler...

Regards, Kirk

Crackingday

All the tin work was there along with the trumpet, the upright is there, the lowers although my top half of the grill is sealed. I'll take a hole saw to the pan then, its never going to get used in the Snow, its based in Kent in the south of the UK, very mild.

Very much enjoy driving the machine around, its very capable!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you are running in mild weather remove the transition plate between the cab floor and engine compartment it will really improve air flow out the bottom of the machine.