• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hello new member with bombardier

srs001

Hi glad I found this forum lots of info. Anyways I picked up a jw68 is what the name plate says looks a lot like a sw48 what are the differences between the to of them. Also I want to change the engine oil but am having a hell of a time accessing the drain is it located though the hole in the bottom of the skid plate any help on these issues would be awesome thanks in advance steve.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi, Steve, Welcome !
If it's 48 inches wide, it is a 1968 SW48.

Can't help you on the oil plug but I'm guessing you should have lots of paper towels handy !

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
pixy glad to see you posting give me some info on the muskegs with 318's. a buddy of mine just picked one up he is curious about what trans should be in it, and maybe what were the differences between the flat head models and v8 models.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
pixy glad to see you posting give me some info on the muskegs with 318's. a buddy of mine just picked one up he is curious about what trans should be in it, and maybe what were the differences between the flat head models and v8 models.

It should have a new process NP435 tranny with a modified cover the flatheads had the same one the biggest difference is the year about 1972 they went to the
Final drives on the outside of the tub which was much better for the axle breakage problem

I know I'm not as good looking as pixie but hope this will help

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
You are a wealth of knowledge Brad thanks Im trying to get Louie to join up here, I wouldn't know what Pixie looks like, She seems to be like Bob Cat and always hiding from the camera. I do think its a safe bet she looks better than us, unless she bears any resemblance to Janet Reno.

groomer08

boggie,
your the man.
thank you for the trans info, Ive been trying to ID the one in my j5 and thats what i thought it was, but no one could confirm.
did they make the np435 in a 3 speed too or just the 4??

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Harbor Freight has an oil syphon that you charge up with shop air and creates a vacuum in the container. After charging you can disconnect from the air and take it where ever you like. It comes with a variety of plastic suction tubes that slide into the oil gage hole. I found that it removes more oil than pulling the plug on my cars with plugs on the side of the pan. Works great for boats too. I always use it when the oil is hot and it would take a long time if the oil is cold. By the time I change the filter, the oil is all out. I'm guessing it holds three gal. of oil, but I empty it every time so it doesn't weigh as much. Think it is about $160.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Harbor Freight has an oil syphon that you charge up with shop air and creates a vacuum in the container. After charging you can disconnect from the air and take it where ever you like. It comes with a variety of plastic suction tubes that slide into the oil gage hole. I found that it removes more oil than pulling the plug on my cars with plugs on the side of the pan. Works great for boats too. I always use it when the oil is hot and it would take a long time if the oil is cold. By the time I change the filter, the oil is all out. I'm guessing it holds three gal. of oil, but I empty it every time so it doesn't weigh as much. Think it is about $160.

Napa has one that uses a hand pump when it is full flip a valve you can pump it back out. I like the one I got from napa I use it quite a bit in the field for all fluids. as stated oils need to be hot or they won't that thin little tube the dipstick goes in.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
boggie,
your the man.
thank you for the trans info, Ive been trying to ID the one in my j5 and thats what i thought it was, but no one could confirm.
did they make the np435 in a 3 speed too or just the 4??

The NP 435 is just a 4speed

So e of the newer Muskegs and some of the skidozers have a NP 5 speed