• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SCOTISH SNOW TRAC VERSION

SNOW WOLF TRACS

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO. ON THE ENGINEER IN PERTH, SCOTLAND THAT WAS REPORTED TO BE BUILDING HIS OWN VERSION OF THE SNO TRAC?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
He really did not make his own version, he actually just built more Snow Tracs out of surplus parts.

When Aktiv stopped production, he simply purchased a bunch of surplus parts, purchased engines and put them all together. I am not aware of any design changes, it is my understanding that he essentially set up an assembly line and continued production after Aktiv stopped production.

Maybe Lyndon, or resident Snow Trac historical expert can lend some specific information?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My sources, namely Bob Person's the Owner and President of the AKTIV company( pronounced Ok-Tive, like the musical scale) would substantiate Bob Skurka's assesment. Westerasmaskiner & AKTIV both did their assembly this way, that is assembled the machines from parts. They would produce, stock and warehouse the parts to build Snow Trac's, then the Sales Department would periodically instruct them to assemble a specific number of machines from parts. According to Bob Person's NO more parts were actually produced the last few years as they had a pretty good inventory of parts. If you look at the production years chart, it shows that they produced the mechines in little batches of 25 or 30 machines. For an independant builder to follow suit seems likely.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe Ice Queen here at the Forums might own one of the Scottish built units.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some tell tale features to look for would be: Engine ID if it's the original engine. Small accessories such as electrical components, flashers usually have a date of manufacture on them. Since the serial number is above the published ones that came from the AKTIV company, it all sounds plausable. Voltage regulators, and meters often have Date of Mfg. on them. Every Running hours meter usually has it. The Date of manufacture of such small components would likely be a year or more prior to the Snow Trac being assembled.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
There seems to be some debate on whether my snowtrac was built in Scotland, I thought it might be, but others thought not. The information that I have on the people in Scotland, if they are the same ones, is Alex MacLarty Ltd, Crief, Perthshire. The phone number is 01764 652892 and the email address is reputed to be macLarty2002@hotmail.com but all emails are not replied to, I did manage to speak to a lady, but she knew little and promised to pass my message on, but again, nothing. Short of going all the way up there and sitting outside the door till I get some information, I don't know how to get a reply. My snowtrac has a plate on the dashboard stating that my snowtrac was supplied by these people, but whether they built it or not is anyone's guess. If anyone fancies either phoning or emailing these people, all I can say is the best of luck! I wish I could get some information on my snowtrac as I would very much like to know where it was built.

SNOW WOLF TRACS

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES AND INFO. I WILL DO MY BEST TO FOLLOW UP ON THESE LEADS AND SEE IF ANY PRODUCE SOME PROMISING RESULTS! SNOW WOLF OUT