• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need speedo cable for my Snow Master

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I am in need of a speedometer cable for my Snow Master. Is it a stock VW cable which I am alsmost positive it is. Any help would be very appreciated!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Mike ,

You have a speedo in your snow trac ??? That's neat . I only have a tac in the Kristi .

Can you find a junk yard near you and try and see if one from a junked bug will work ??
Al

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike, I would bet it is a vintage VW part, most likely from a Beetle or a Bus because those two vehicles are where many of our parts originated from.

There are probably a couple dozen VW parts sources for those old parts, or remakes of them. Go to your local bookstore pick up a copy of one of the VW magazines that specializes in air-cooled VWs. You should find all sorts of sources for that cable.

Take a look at this image in the Photo Gallery. I believe part #28 is the cable you are looking for, it would connect up to the center of the drive sprocket.

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I wasnt sure where it went. The broken speedo cable is just laying in my engine compartment. I had no idea where it went on the drive system. Thanks.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry BigAl my digi camera is D.O.A. as of this weekend. It got knocked of the night stand in the hotel room one night. :D :boobies: :D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Thanks guys. I wasnt sure where it went. The broken speedo cable is just laying in my engine compartment. I had no idea where it went on the drive system. Thanks.

Have you had a chance to find a new cable yet? Is it a stock VW cable from either a Bus or Bug as I suspected?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Sorry BigAl my digi camera is D.O.A. as of this weekend. It got knocked of the night stand in the hotel room one night. :D :boobies: :D

Yea... I know what you mean . I have had a few wild nights Like that myself . I hate it when the dog sleeps in the bed !
Big Al:coolshade

shanta

Banned
The end of the speedo cable is welded to hub of the left drive wheel axel in the motor compartment. The weld on ours failed and I have not gotten to fixing it yet but hope to do so soon. I will try to get some pics for the matinace part of my site.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well I checked my drive sprocket and no where to hook up a speedo cable. I also noticed in the parts diagram bob provided that part #28 attaches to the drive sprocket via a bracket and spring set up. My vehicle does not have that at all. Can some one post a picture of this set up? Thanks/

Also WELCOME SHANTA! Glad to see we have a new Snow Trac member (See BigAl another Snow Master owner) Snow Masters rule!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
/ Also WELCOME SHANTA! Glad to see we have a new Snow Trac member (See BigAl another Snow Master owner) Snow Masters rule![/quote said:
Dang ! Whats the score ???? 2 to 1 ,against me
Big Al

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Dang ! Whats the score ???? 2 to 1 ,against me
Big Al

Hey ! wait a minute ! I got 3 Kristi's !!!
The score is now 3 to 2..... My favor !!! Ha!!!:coolshade

shanta

Banned
Hum thought there were more Snow Masters. As for agaist? But then I see BigAl did not start the count. We each have what we have.

As for the speedo cable it was welded to the center of the axel on the sprocket. clip sound easier but more to catch onto if something got loose in the engine compartment.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Shanta can you post a picture of what you have? Also DMiesner has a Snow Master as well. There is another guy but I dont remember his name off hand. So that makes 4 Snow Masters.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Also DMiesner has a Snow Master as well. There is another guy but I dont remember his name off hand. So that makes 4 Snow Masters.

Dang ! Thats 5 to 3 in your favor .

OkOk!! I am going to go buy 3 more Krist'i . No wait !!! There is "Livu" and "Tahoe Kristi" ! That's 5 to 5 . Oh! and Jerry in so Utah and Caroth in Colorado . 7 to 5 my favor !!!! SCORE!SCORE!SCORE!

Boy, I do like the "lead position" Mike . So how's the view back there as you look up my tailpipe ???:moon:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl Thats was just Snow Master owners not Snow Trac owners! To my count there are over 20 Snow Trac owners. So that would be about 25 AKtiv owners. And those are just the ones that have posted. Alot do not post at all.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
BigAl Thats was just Snow Master owners not Snow Trac owners! To my count there are over 20 Snow Trac owners. So that would be about 25 AKtiv owners. And those are just the ones that have posted. Alot do not post at all.

Ok OK !! I give up . I hate this stupid game ! You win ! Wanna play chess ??? hmmmm???
By the way ,you have a nice tailpipe :moon:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The end of the speedo cable is welded to hub of the left drive wheel axel in the motor compartment. The weld on ours failed and I have not gotten to fixing it yet but hope to do so soon. I will try to get some pics for the matinace part of my site.
Well I checked my drive sprocket and no where to hook up a speedo cable. I also noticed in the parts diagram bob provided that part #28 attaches to the drive sprocket via a bracket and spring set up. My vehicle does not have that at all. Can some one post a picture of this set up?
Mike, here are two photos I just snapped for you. The speedo cable should NOT be welded on! I suspect that would have been a hack repair job by someone who did a quick fix for a quick buck. The cable terminates with a spring that is attached to a bolt that is attached to the center of the drive hub/axle on the sprocket. You should see this in the parts manual photos I sent you.

The first photo shows a close up view of the end of the cable (which is a spring) attached to the center hub of the drive sprocket. The second photo shows how the cable is routed under the engine guard shield, then up through the hole in the guard and around the side of back to the firewall where it terminates at the back of the speedometer. I added the direction arrow and the dots for BigAl, I figured he would need the extra help. (Al, sorry I didn't have crayons, it was the best I could do on short notice :whistle: )

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1speedo1_3300.jpg
    1speedo1_3300.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 488
  • 1speedo2-0.jpg
    1speedo2-0.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 231

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I added the direction arrow and the dots for BigAl, I figured he would need the extra help. (Al, sorry I didn't have crayons, it was the best I could do on short notice :whistle: )

Hope this helps.

Yea... sorry about that Bob ...

I ate the crayons last time I came over to play .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Yea... sorry about that Bob ...

I ate the crayons last time I came over to play .

Allen . . . I saw some "technicolor poop" out in the dog yard and I just figured one of the dogs ate the crayons. Now I know it was you, and I know you pooped in their yard too!!! It explains why they avoid that area of the yard. :yum:

Mike . . . One more thought, I've seen a lot of photos of engine compartments that do not show the guard that is in my photos. I think over time, many of them were removed and discarded. I'm not sure what purpose it really serves other than it gets in the way of things. So if you don't have it on yours, you are not really missing much.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OK I see what you are talking about. I am missing a few parts. Gonna have to check for those. My next trip into Canada will be to harvest all I can get!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Villi, do you know if the cable is from a Volkswagen? And if so, which model it is from?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I am guessing the spring is to take away the shock load form all the VW horsepower being put to the tracks!!!:D Why would you even want a speedo on a snow cat?:confused: I wonder how accurate it would be? My tracks seem to always be spinning with the amount of horsepower produced by my Ford 6 cylinder. Well I guess we would know track speed anyway.:thumb: Are they calibrated to mph or kph? My cat has three speeds 1st, 2nd and 3rd, just will have to live without knowing mph.:yum: :yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
I am guessing the spring is to take away the shock load form all the VW horsepower being put to the tracks!!!:D Why would you even want a speedo on a snow cat?:confused:

Mtntopper,
It's because when I blow their "Snow Trac" doors off as I go whizzing by in my Kristi , they can look down to see how fast they just got their sorry arses (English for ass) kicked by a "MADE IN AMERICA" :US_flag: Kristi SNOW CAT!:yum: :yum: :yum:

and now please stand for our National Anthem :thewave: ...:moon:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yah Villi hes full of himself aint he! And his Kristi isnt even running yet!:yum:

So whos blowing whos doors off BigAl? Wait a second your doors are off. AAHHAHAHhahahahahaha:yum: :wave: :moon:

BigAl's Krapi

Attachments

• Blown doors.jpg
    Blown doors.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 139
  • blown doors 1.jpg
    blown doors 1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 134
  • blown doors 2.jpg
    blown doors 2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 136