• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My Snow Master

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Here it is:

Attachments

• loaded up 1.jpg
    loaded up 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 556
  • Loaded up.jpg
    Loaded up.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 545

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
These are just the pics my son took up in Canada. We were so tired. It took over 17 hours of driving the second day to get there. We drove about that the first as well. Not much sleep and horrible directions (Mapquest sucks). Anyway we didnt take many pictures at all. The Snow Master has the optional heater and the optional Wide body as well. I have TONS of cargo space on the fenders! I would guess about another 8" to 10" over a Snow Trac. It also has the additional cushion and belts to the right of the driver. So far the problems I know: Windshield wipers dont work (no fuse I believe) and the speedo doesnt work. A few gauges seem to be dead. I will be doing my PM tomorrow so I will find eveything else out then. Anyway I will post tomorrow night.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So what are the plans for this unit?

As you've stated previously, your business is to transport people and equipment so I'm guessing you are planning on making 'upgrades' to the unit as opposed to doing a historically accurate restoration.

Or are you going to make this a historically accurate workhorse?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,
My plans are to build as much cargo space as possible. Clean and repaint. Thats pretty much it. Mechanically its pretty sound with the exception of the electrics. Those I will just replace. I'm going to install all new gauges and replace all wiring. I will install a dual Optima set up and a new alternator (or generator havent decided yet). I will make my own battery cables and mount the batteries inside as stock was. Currently the battery has been relocated to the outside. I also need the cover that goes over the optional gas heater. Looks like I will fabricate something myself. The unit I brought back has that redish orange factory paint. That will change this summer. I didnt know he had this one. It was his favorite and I was able to get it from him. He will be keeping his Snow Master that has the tall body on it instead. I tried but he wont sell that one. (That one needed alot more work anyway). I did have one disaster when I was towing it home. The sky light hatch came off the front hindge and slammed back and broke the plexi glass. I will see if I can get that replaced but doubt it. I will have to figure something out on that. I only have myself to blame for that. I should have check it by hand before I left. Oh well just have to move on and not whine to much about it.:) Anyway I'm gonna hit th shower and go out and pull it off the trailer. I'll be taking some pics today for sure.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike please go look at the updated photos in the BRITISH COLUMBIA Snow Trac thread. Arlow put fold up seats in his and that increases the inside carrying capacity. It might be an idea you may find useful.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Bob. I saw them last night. Very nice. As my business progresses I discover new needs my clients have. My next job is transporting 16 men with all their gear up to a lodge they own. In that case I will most likely transport 4 at a time with gear. I am in the process of having another equipment sled built. It will be for the Snow Master and could carry all of their gear in one swoop. It may be done by then. Anyway that is a great idea on the fold up seats!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good pics! I have to agree, mapquest maps leave alot to be desired. But they sure help to ballpark the milage.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Here are a few more pictures. I pulled all the interior seat pads out to wash. The belts will be pulled and cleaned. They are actually in pretty good condition. I will be selling the belts if anyone is interested. Also my head lights are in great shape. (mirrors inside look brand new) I will be selling those as well. Hint hint Bob.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The pictures.

Attachments

• Snow Master 1.jpg
    Snow Master 1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 525
  • Snow Master 2.jpg
    Snow Master 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 512
  • Snow Master 3.jpg
    Snow Master 3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 515

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
More pics

Attachments

• Snow Master 4.jpg
    Snow Master 4.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 512
  • Snow Master 5.jpg
    Snow Master 5.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 509
  • Snow Master 6.jpg
    Snow Master 6.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 514

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up the hint, PM me a price for your headlights!

Your Snow Master looks like it needs a good going over, some of metal is banged up but it looks like overall its in pretty useable condition. The tracks look loose, you'll probably want to tighten them a bit before you head too far away from home. I'm surprised the interior is in as good of condition as it appears. It was messy but I've seen several that had the dash cut up and other problems that yours didn't seem to have.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having a gas heater next to a carpeted sidewall. It sort of seems like a fire waiting to happen?

Why is the battery moved outboard over the right track?

I notice your exhaust is in the front, on the right. That is better than what I have, but still far from ideal. You may end up routing it under the body. That is what I'm planning on doing. Take a look at Villi's thread, he posted some really good photos of his exhaust system. It looks ideal.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
villi said:
nice Snow Trac needs lot of work is the petrol heater ok ?

Hi Villi,
Yes it needs alot of work. I am in the process of cleaning it out first. So far I have found tons of tools which I have no idea what they are for. These were kept under the right passenger seat next to the driver. That recessed tray was the spot of storage. I will post a picture of these tools for people to help me identify them. As far as the heater it looks in real good shape. you can see where it exhausts above the left track. I will go over it completely before turning it on. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,
I will PM you with a price tonight.

Some of the sheet metal is a bit worn. I will have all the cracks and such welded up and reinforced. You can tell someone was walking on the grill behind the hood at one time. Probrably to get something off the roof. This units sheet metal was a bit more worn than some of the other ones but this one had the wide body which I really need. The mechanics seem pretty decent too. I may switch off the top of one of the better ones. This is my "MULE" so I wont go over board on the sheet metal work. I will be building a top storage rack. The dimensions I'm not sure on yet. As far as the "carpeted wall" that will be going real soon! Ive decided to pretty much rhino line the whole inside now (after sheet metal work is done). That will help reduce interior noise and should stop condesation on the metal at least. One of the rear windows was broken at one time and willl be replaced. It currently is sporting a piece of plexi glass. I found a bit of broken glass under one of the rear seats. Thats how I discovered the plexi. The battery seemed to be moved outside to clear some space for storage inside. On this I am not sure. As I stated before I will be swapping in two Optimas to the inside. The exhaust is another issue. I dont like the idea of it running underneith the cab. This should be avoided at all costs. The biggest danger to a snowcat operator and passengers is Carbon monoxide poisoning. I think I will run mine up and completely out the rear. In my position I cant take that chance. But it sure looks alot nicer out the bottom for sure! AND yes the tracks are a bit loose. I will fix that tomorrow!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well so far I have adjusted the tracks, cleaned the whole cab, cleaned the seats, removed the seat belts, oil and lubed 20% of the lube spots and replaced a cracked fuel hose.

I took the wife and kids for a spin and they had a blast! Will take some more pics tomorrow.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
I took the wife and kids for a spin and they had a blast! Will take some more pics tomorrow.

:weneedpic Its amazing how fun these things are. They are not like the ultra-modern $100,000 snow machines because these little Snow Tracs have character and are still very very capable of going just about anywhere and everywhere!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,
These little guys will flat out out perform just about any snowcat out there! The Snow Master puts down 0.46 lbs per square inch! The Snow Trac about 0.60. All the other guys I have seen so far are about .78 at best. I will take my kids out tomorrow and get some pics.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Bob,
These little guys will flat out out perform just about any snowcat out there! The Snow Master puts down 0.46 lbs per square inch! The Snow Trac about 0.60. All the other guys I have seen so far are about .78 at best. I will take my kids out tomorrow and get some pics.

I'm unusual in that I bought my Snow Trac for SUMMER and winter use. The 32 acre field behind my house is a flood plane and gets pretty boggy, often for extended periods. I can't really take a tractor back there to do any work becuase they sink. The Snow Trac resolves that problem because of its ability to float on snow, bogs, muskeg, and muddy ground.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well the Snow Tracs are much better for that. The Snow Masters have to much traction. They will rip there own tracks off in a turn on grass.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
UPDATE:
Its been almost a week now since I brought my Snow Master home. Ive ordered a complete set of Bosch items to tune up the motor. I had one hell of a time finding all German parts! BUT thats done now and will be installed next weekend. The motor is in EXCELLENT condition! The variators are loud but then again so is the inside in general. I have on the way a full line of Amsoil lubricants designed for extreme cold weather. These will be changed next week as well. I haven't found an airfilter that will fit locally and may change it back to a stock oil bath type filter. This will help quiet things. As far as filtering, these vehicles pretty much run in the cleanest environment you can get (during winter at least). I havent decided what im doing on this. My vehicles will always be built towards total reliability first (hence the German parts rule). Ive also started to remove some of the carpet. Thats a messy job! The glue will not come off with out taking the paint off as well. Ive just started and will hold off on that for a bit. I will probably have it "Rhino lined" and then insulate and cover in black ballistic nylon as described in another part of this forum. That should really quite things down. For the floor I will most likely just have it Rhino lined as well. Anyway thats where I am on this project.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well all the carpet is now out. I was left with some foam rubber backing that was on the carpet and of course the glue. I also found some rust which was no surprise. In these next set of pictures I am showing some of the carpet before it was removed. Also some rust and other junk left behind after carpet removal. I have started to scrape and power brush (wire wheel) most of the junk away along with the rust (never use a wire brush on aluminum. it imbeds small particles of steel into the soft aluminum and starts dis-simular metal corrosion). I'm about 3/4 done with the prep work. When this is done I will spray the inside with a good primer and then paint. (Just the areas that will get the new carpet)

I dont know if anyone is interested with this build but it does give me a chance to let you see how this progresses. Hopefully all this will help someone else.

Attachments

• Snow Master rebuild.jpg
    Snow Master rebuild.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Snow Master rebuild 2.jpg
    Snow Master rebuild 2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 241
  • Snow Master rebuild 3.jpg
    Snow Master rebuild 3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 242

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
3 more.

Attachments

• Snow Master rebuild 4.jpg
    Snow Master rebuild 4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Snow Master rebuild 5.jpg
    Snow Master rebuild 5.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Snow Master rebuild 6.jpg
    Snow Master rebuild 6.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 244

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I also removed those head knockers. All the bolts that held the lights on have been removed. The lights were wired with non-automotive wire. Non-automotive wire cracks in the sun and in diffrent temperatures. Automotive wire is designed for a wide range of temperatures and doesnt crack. Two of the spot lights were wired to the ignition switch! DUMB ARSES!!!!! All that has been removed and trashed! I will re-use the holes to mount all my new Hella lights. Then they will be wired correctly to a modern fuse block.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a picture of all the Amsoil products I will be using. Well not all I have a tube of the Amsoil racing grease I forgot to grab for the pic. Only the best for my baby.

Attachments

• Snow Master Amsoil.jpg
    Snow Master Amsoil.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 241