• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB shifter part

teamster

Does anyone have access to parts for a Morse shifter similar to the one pictured. It's on my Tucker with an Alison automatic. All I need is the little ribbon that indicates the gear your in. It looks like a zip tie with a loop on each end and a wide spot painted orange. It shouldn't be too expensive, but if I can find one, I can just imagine what the freight and money exchange will be. Any ideas on making one? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 167

undy

From the photos it's hard to judge the size of that thing, but it reminds me of the spring out of a chainsaw recoil starter. The ones I'm familiar with are smaller than the bandsaw blades I use. How big's that thing?

I'm not sure how easy that would be to weld a tab onto, and it'd probably wreck the springiness of the metal (but maybe that's no big deal). Maybe solder? JB Weld?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a standard floor shift mechanism from either GM or Ford to me. A trip to a well stocked junk yard would probably yield you a new to you part...

So I would look to the automobile industry for this, as your snow cat company used stock auto parts in this application. To my eye, it looks GM to me... Allison was part of GM when your cat was built. I am familiar with an Allison auto in a truck, and the shifter is nothing like the one you show. It has a round top, the shift lever extends from. I think yours is a GM car floor shifter, modified for the shift pattern for the Allison.

Regards, Kirk

teamster

I found the complete shifter on that Fisheries site. Morse still sells the complete shifter. The ribbon is only 1/8" wide with both ends folded back to form a loop. It's very similar to the ribbon in a "White out" ribbon you'd use to correct a writing mistake. It runs in a track and goes full circle around the inside of the shifter.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
You might be able to cut down a piece of metal strapping used to band lumber.

Maybe Morse will sell the part ?

toyrocs

Check out Moorse shifters like someone already suggested. They are used in industrial / Medium duty truck applications. I purchased a new ribbon and replaced in my class 6 Isuzu Flatbed truck.