• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac oil heater sump plate nuts

NorCal

Hey guys looking for a couple nuts that holds the oil heater sump plate to the VW block. Any ideas?
Thanks Chris. Aka NorCal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 215

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
those are like a running Kristie i have heard of them but never seen one i have to rely on the aircraft industry to pre heat my engine

NorCal

Did Activ put heaters on all of Snow Tracs or was that an option? Mine was an ambulance so maybe it was kept plugged in and ready....

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Can you take the studs out of the sump (just on the ones that are missing nuts) and put the right length 6mm socket head screw in there place? Maybe with a little sleeve around the screw? Are the original screws countersunk? What do you have for vintage VW's? I have a '53 beetle and a '59 Panel Bus.

Sno-Surfer

I actually took mine off and just run it with the cover plate. I didn't know that was supposed to be a heater. I though it was supposed to be a temperature gauge. I replace my cover with one that has a drain plug in it for easier oil changing.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the oil pan heaters was an aftermarket addition i remember my dad adding one to his thing after moving to Alaska.

NorCal

Hey Snowsurfer do you still have the old parts? I cant just put on a plate cause the pickup tube was lengthened. I have seen a mini sump I think I can buy from Empi.
Hey Zekeusa, is your 53 a split or a Zwitter beetle, I still have some bugs, a 54, 55 56, 58 and a 57 singlecab.

Paul H

If you can find an appropriate sized sex bolt (yes that's what they are called) or barrel bolt it would work. You might have to turn the head down on a lathe or the redneck fix chuck it in a drill press and use a file to reduce the head diameter.

Sno-Surfer

I should still have the parts. I'll look for them.
Looks like nice work. .009 distributor? Curious because I've put all my VW's back to either SVDA ( snow trac) or DVDA (71 buses) and really like the way they run with some vacuum advance.
My friends in bend hiked for some fresh snowboard turns this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good winter. :smile:

NorCal

The muffler came from Empi, I cut and flanged the tailpipe to angle down and back, gonna cut a hole thru skid plate and run under cat and up above the back. The stock muffler seemed restrictive by the time they had about 6 elbows to achieve the same thing. Also trying to cut out as much under hood temps so I'm gonna give it a try.
So to the vacuum advance question, I'm with you when it comes to not using centrifugal advance but the stock industrial motor carb does not have a vacuum port on it? I think they were designed to run at one speed maybe? This is the way it came from the factory so gonna try it. Carb and dizzy may be in my future.

nikos

Hey guys looking for a couple nuts that holds the oil heater sump plate to the VW block. Any ideas?
Thanks Chris. Aka NorCal

NorCal
The oil Heater sump plate and the engine front side.

Nikos

Attachments

• n5.jpg
    n5.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 166
  • n6.jpg
    n6.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 165

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Snowsurfer do you still have the old parts? I cant just put on a plate cause the pickup tube was lengthened. I have seen a mini sump I think I can buy from Empi.
Hey Zekeusa, is your 53 a split or a Zwitter beetle, I still have some bugs, a 54, 55 56, 58 and a 57 singlecab.

Yes it's a Zwitter but I just have the body. It is on a '70 IRS pan with 911 front brakes, 944 rear trailing arms. Porsche 5 speed gearbox and 912 engine. '59 Bus has 944 turbo brakes and a Porsche 911 2.4L engine. I just found out they had Zwitters in late 1952 as well.

Sno-Surfer

Norcal, I haven't looked for those parts yet but I will this evening....I must still have them, somewhere...