• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Water freeze in air system

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been having some problems with the air system freezing due to the h2o freezing the regulator valve which is separate from the compressor. I know Bendix makes some for on highway trucks but the ones I have seen are big and bulky. I am open to recommendations and also the best way to clear the air lines, alcohol?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I only encounter temps cold enough to cause problems once or twice a year, perhaps there is some additive which I could spray into the compressor intake which will take care of this problem.

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
A bendix ad sp air drier may work for you they have a bilt in heater and the desiccant filter is easy to service. Using alcohol in the lines often could damage the internals of the air valves.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
As said, air drier and in the meantime get some tanner gas to put in the main line from the compressor.
Mike

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
is there an accumulator tank between the compressor and the regulator? If there is, make certain the output is from the top of the tank. And the tank drain is free to purge. I've seen one on a home brew fire truck that was plumbed backwards, it always was having problems (until I fixed it).

You can find air-line anti freeze in most truck shops / napa, but if you don't have a tank...

Perhaps a bypass line from the heater circuit wrapped around it. With a small amount of insulation, it shouldn't take much to keep the regulator free.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Can you relocate the regulator so it is close to the engine to get heat from it.
Mike

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you all for the ideas. I think that the bendix drier will be used. The regulator sits right in top of the engine now and I have been using the engine heat to thaw it. The problem with our duty cycle is the rig gets cold soaked at the top of a pass and the only heat I generate going down hill is with the exhaust brakes. Darned diesel engines anyway. I will check into the accumulator tank to. Today I saw the dryer fluid at a truck stop.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe some cardboard or canvas over the front of the radiator for the downhill runs. just watch the temp gauge.
Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the ad is a large dryer might I suggest 2 tanks with a back check valve like commercial vehicles have the first tank is a wet tank the second tanks will be your supply air the wet tank will allow water to condense as the air cools and drop out to the bottom where it can be drained off what are you using for an air compressor

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's where the SP possibly works. It is small enough to fit inside the cartridge of an AD-9 and has the heated spitter built in.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
im guessing he has an electric air compresser like you use with air ride or lockers if so he isn't going to make much volume a small air dryer and filter like you use with an airbrush may work or just use dual tanks one to condense and one for air supply do stay away from alcohol as its a solvent and will remove the grease from all the moving parts. I had a driver watching ice road truckers do this to one of his trucks and had to replace all the relay valves.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
im guessing he has an electric air compresser like you use with air ride or lockers if so he isn't going to make much volume a small air dryer and filter like you use with an airbrush may work or just use dual tanks one to condense and one for air supply do stay away from alcohol as its a solvent and will remove the grease from all the moving parts. I had a driver watching ice road truckers do this to one of his trucks and had to replace all the relay valves.
I used a small inline one for a paint sprayer on the vent to the bombis gear box. it stopped the moisture from entering . when it turned color I replaced it. being small that was a couple times a season.
jim

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you for all the ideas. The compressor is belt driven and operates the air over hyd brakes system, exhaust brakes and horn. The dryer that I looked at is too big to fit any where. I have an automatic heated spitter which I will put on the tank. I will clean the governor at the same time I install the spitter.