• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone have pictures of Tucker 542A on a trailer?

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
I've purchased a low deck equipment trailer for a new to me 1969 542. I haven't picked up the cat yet and am currently building box ramps over the fenders of the trailer for the Tucker to crawl on. My plan is to have the tracks clear the fenders by approximately 2" then ramp back down to the deck height of the trailer. What I don't have is dimensions. Specifically, the distance between the pontoons left to right, the length of the pontoons and the distance between the front and rear axles. I'd like the cat to ride as flat and supported as possible. If anyone has pictures if theirs on a non-deckover trailer, I'd love to see them. If you know any of the above dimensions, that would be very helpful too.
c5ed860a90dc4a118a5030311156e126.jpg

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Previous, previous, previous owner of that cat used a deck over trailer. The biggest challenge I see with this trailer modification is getting the weight and balance right. Once you build your ramps over the fenders you have centered where the machine will sit. Without having the cat on the trailer how are you going to determine where the cat needs to be to get the tongue weigh right?

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Valid point and a definite concern. All I have to go by is previous owners testament that it worked well right over the axles. I'm will to try it, but may find myself looking for a deck over like the one I just sold.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr. Four Track, here are a couple of photos of a trailer which is very similar to the one in your first photo. The width of the rails where the insides of your tracks rest is 39 1/2 inches. The distance from the ball hitch to the center between axles is 15 feet. This trailer is longer than you need as the cat which rides on it has a blade on the front and a compacter on the rear. I would not use the trailer shown, it looks to have not enough length behind the axles for your machine. I wood go for a flat deck over axles trailer. You don't gain that much extra height by the time you make a frame work over the fenders and you have a much more universal trailer for forklift loading the materials to build the new garage to store this Sno-Cat and the next ones you acquire.

Attachments

• DSCN2803.jpg
    DSCN2803.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 338
  • DSCN2804.jpg
    DSCN2804.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 379

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Also, I would go with 8 hole wheels, assuming that is what you have on your tow vehicle. Gives you more options on the road and more load capacity with bigger axles.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
The trailer I have is a 10k lb 16'flat plus 3' beaver tail with ramps. It's a darn nice trail with a low c.g. Ideally, this wide cat would fit nicely on a deck over but the price difference is a bit prohibitive at this point. I'm thinking that full length boxes would allow for a level load and balance adjustment then build the ramp angle down to the base of the beaver tail. Just thinking out loud and open to discussion.

I would suggest pulling the cat backwards which helps protect the front windshield but also in your case will put the heavy end of your cat over the axels and probably give the best balance for your set up. Just build a frame at your trailer fenders that will support the cat during transportation and allow the tracks to ramp up and over as well.

The rear tracks should fit flat on the deck and the front tracks could sit flat on the frame you build in between the fenders. I would be careful adding weight by extending the frame with a beaver tail as you probably are getting to the upper weight limits of your trailer.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Well, I had a chance to put my tape measure to the trailer and confirmed all that Sno - drifter was explaining to me. Bottom line, the trailer I just purchased this week and put brand new tires on is too small..... Although, I could likely make it work in a pinch, It is borderline. The deciding factor is the fact that while backing it down my steep driveway and into my shop unloaded, the beavertail comes within 1" of hitting my concrete slab. That's not going to work for me. If anyone needs a nice 10k gvwr 18' beavertail trailer with slide in ramps, solid deck brand new tires and licensed, please let me know. I'll list in classifieds.....

As suggested, I'm in need of a 12k to 14k gvrw deckover trailer with ramps. Thanks

Tom D

Here is a pic of mine on my flatbed. For car haulers it might help to build a deck over the existing deck so the fenders aren't an issue. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 241

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Good lookin Tucker too! What size deck is that? Thanks for the pictures. I went ahead and ordered a 20' deckover plus 2' dovetail with flip up ramps. I'll be able to use the trailer for lots of other things too.

Tom D

Thanks, I would have to measure it again I always forget and I use it for so many other hauling projects also.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have had very poor luck with these wheels. Seems like there are at least two different thicknesses of metal in the wheels. When you tighten the lugs down, the wheel permanently distorts and they come loose. I found that I could easily covert these axles to 8 bolt pattern. Just changed the hubs. They make an 8 bolt wheel that will use the same size tire if you want it. I was forced to use this size tire due to clearance problems and used 8X14.5 load range G 3085 lb. tires, non radial. Seems to be working well so far. If you have the room, you could use any size that fits.