• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

new to the forum and looking for help

tracklover

Hello all.
I just bought my first track machine this past weekend. Its a bombardier and by what I have read hear it is looking like a J5. Its 60 inches wide with 16 inch tracks , looks like a dodge inline 6 with 3 spd. transmission.
Its an older machine and the body isn't pretty but the tires all hold air, the drive sprockets look good , tracks look good , and I had it running with an hour of TLC. I'm not sure of the year. I would guess 60s or 70s. I could really use a manual to help with getting things serviced. is there anywhere I can buy such a thing? . Thanks for making such a great forum. I'm sure I'lll learn a lot here

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi and welcome to the insane world of obsolite and antiquated track vehicles!

Take a look at this thread => http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=7394

We no longer mail out discs of manuals, but there are some links to a website where you should be able to DOWNLOAD manuals. I dont think there is a J5 manual, but you probably should select the BOMBI manual and download that one. The Bombi and the J5 are pretty close mechanical cousins and many of the things will probably apply.

Also, look up the engine and find a Chiltons or similar manual for that engine. Snowcat makers typically used industrial versions of commercially available auto or truck engines.

tracklover

Thanks for the quick reply, the link and the welcome. I have already learned alot here and I am sure I will be reading here and maybe even add some input myself if I can help out others.
Thanks again
:)

rcc

PM me and I will send you a parts manual for the J5. Post a few pic's and we can give you a good idea what you have.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I am probably one of the few here who knows nothing about Snowcats but I would like to welcome you to the Forum :biggrin: Howdy!

tracklover

So I hope the picture works. If not , I'll try again. Anyway I paid 1200 for it. The dodge flathead runs, has 3 speed trans. , tires are holding air , tracks and drives look good. Its 60 inches wide with 16 inch tracks. I don't think I'll restore it at this time but rather make a dependable usable machine for snow plowing and swamp bashing. Thanks for all the help and future help as well.
Steve

Attachments

• 20140928_104336.jpg
    20140928_104336.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 123

akimp

Looks good for $1200. There were 2 different J5's made one with a thinner body and smaller tapered axles and a newer one with heavier steel frame and larder axles. When ordering wheel bearings keep that in mind. I think pre-62 had the thinner body and your can tell because its ribs show. Have fun I love mine.

rcc

looks like a pre 1960, I have one, the wheel bearing hub cap is 2", post 1959 are 3" caps. Also the front bumper and racked nose is 1959. I have both pre and post both work the same very tough machines. Glad to help if you need any help. I have rebuilt 3 of these.