• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need some advice on VW engine

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My Snow Trac engine has devloped a crack in the generator/oil fill "tower" at it's base where it bolts to the engine case. I have another one to replace it...

Does the fan shroud have to come off to replace it? And if so can this be done in the cat, or would it be easier to remove the engine?

The new part I have I took off a donor engine that I bought to some day build. It is a dual port type 3 engine and the Snow Trac has the single port type 2 engine. I mention this because the tin work/fan shroud is not quite the same. Lots of screws to remove around the back side of the engine to get to...

So what is the best aproach to replace the generator tower?

Thanks, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Why didn't you call me the answer is yes you remove the generator band and 2 mounting screws from each side of the fan tower than tower and generator come off and out of the way

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why didn't you call me the answer is yes you remove the generator band and 2 mounting screws from each side of the fan tower than tower and generator come off and out of the way

Well I did just save us another phone call didn't I? :whistling::smile:

We can save those for "important stuff"!

Regards, Kirk

Sno-Surfer

You'll want to see if you have the thermostat and cooling flaps installed. If you do, there will be about 8 more screws to take off at the base, front and rear of the fan shroud.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd have just called but I figured I should share with other members been a buisey summer I working on finishing some vw assembly today.