• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1956 Tucker 443 Steering Pump

muskeg1

I just got a 56 Tucker 443 with blown flathead six. I am installing Toyota 2H 6cyl diesel with gm th350 tranny and np203 low range box. I have the stock steering vane pump but am wondering if my 2H's power steering pump (allready nicely installed) has adequate flow and pressure to run the steering cyl.

Thanks

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the pressure will be around 1500 psi should be good but the flow rate will be around 1gpm too slow you will want some thing around 3 gpm

muskeg1

Thanx Don

I was hoping to be lazy on this one mod but have mounted many pumps before.

Is there any reason not to use the stock tucker pump, would you suggest something better as I have to do a custum mount anyway?

Marty

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the stock vickers pump tucker uses is a good pump and are totaly rebuildable just remember the threads are boss and not pipe and don't try to bunp up pressure with shimms use the srpings on the relief valves as the spring in not lennier and it will split the housing

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have a clue what Tucker used back in 1956.

I have a 1980 Tucker and according to Jeff (Parts and Service manager) the Vickers pump Tucker used on steering-only applications (no blade or auxiliary hydraulics) had an output of 8 GPM.

I'm quite sure on my machine with a front blade the Vickers pump output is 11 GPM, and has a fairly large auxiliary cooler as well.