• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Finally going to learn something new...

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Tomorrow I will be attending a free add-day seminar on digital communications, sponsored by the Ohio ARES 10th District. Here are the details:

Saturday, January 22nd at 9:00AM - Introduction to Digital Communications. This free training session will be on January 22nd at TriPoint Medical Center on Auburn Rd in Concord, Ohio near Interstate 90 and State Route 44. The training will be classroom instruction in the morning and conclude with hands on activities in the afternoon. Training will include homebrew and commercial hardware options such as the Tigertronics Signa...link USB and West Mountain Rigblaster. Training will also include a variety of software options such as MIXW and FLDIGI to name a few.

9:00AM to 9:30AM will be check-in and meet & greet. 9:30AM to 12 Noon will be classroom, Noon to 1PM will be a fantastic lunch, and 1PM to 3PM will be hands on activities. Those who have attended a district training know we take care of our volunteers at lunch time!

The training is open to all licensed amateur radio operators. However, participants are asked to leave a detailed message at 440-853-6683 or send an email to w8dec@ohioares10.org to register. Be sure to include how many people will be attending, any dietary restrictions, or food allergies. Participants are instructed not to register by any other means to ensure accountability. Participants must be registered no later than Wednesday, January 19th so food can be purchased in an adequate amount of time as well as an accurate count for participant CD-ROMS.
This sounds like it's something that I could get involved with down the road when I get a bit more knowledge under my belt. We always hear the stories about how hams have come to the rescue when other forms of communications are unavailable during a disaster, and being a guy who works well in crisis mode, I could see myself in some roll during a crisis. Time will tell.

I will be meeting soon with the fella who invited me to attend this seminar, to discuss starting a brand new ham club in our area. I have the organizational background for putting together a club, and he has the knowledge to teach new people how to utilize their new equipment. I'm hoping he still wants to go through with this, because the club in my area is "not seeking new members" at this time, and there are things I need to learn myself if I'm going to continue with this hobby.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
cool using voip /irlp i just had a qso with a guy in south yorkshire not bad from nome alaska

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
All I can say is WOW! Five hours of training on Fldigi software for digital packet delivery over the amateur airwaves, including a great lunch, all at no cost to the attendees. There were 60 people there for training, and most of them are volunteers providing emergency communications during emergencies and disasters. I was almost overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge I got in this short time, but soon I was able to receive and display message packets using my 2m HT and the microphone on my MacBook. Really cool stuff that can enhance communications by sending .txt files over the airwaves. We primarily worked with PSK-31 mode, but did have some demonstrations with a few of the other modes. After a short time I started to laugh. One of the instructors asked if there was something he could clarify, and I when I told him I was lost in the acronym jungle, he just laughed. This is like learning several languages at the same time, but it's a challenge I'm enjoying. I have a ton of stuff to learn, but I met a few people willing to help out as time permits, so that alone was worth showing up for. Now I'm looking forward to the March training.